PDA

View Full Version : Class II Navigation

ILScat3c
4th Jan 2005, 19:38
My understanding of class 2 nav is that portion of navigation been done out of range of ground nav aids. If that is correct then an aircraft navigating by a GPS driving FMS would never be under class two nav? Can some one explain this a little further or my understanding is ok? Thanks.

None
4th Jan 2005, 22:39
The definitions included in my Ops Specs indicate that a conclusion that GPS satisfies the intent of Class I navigation is inaccurate. The navaids specified in the definitions include only VOR, VOR/DME, and NDB. The definitions indicate that one is either within the service volume of these navaids (and therefore in Class I navigation airspace) or outside of that airspace (in Class II naviagtion). Is that how you read these definitions?

CLASS II NAVIGATION:
"Class II navigation is any enroute flight operation which is not defined as Class I navigation. Class II navigation is any enroute flight operation or portion of an enroute operation (irrespective of the means of navigation) which takes place outside (beyond) the designated operational service volume (or ICAO equivilents) of ICAO standard airway navigation facilities (VOR, VOR/DME, NDB). However, Class II navigation does not include enroute flight operations over routes designated with an "MEA gap" (or ICAO equivilent)."

CLASS I NAVIGATION
"Class I navigation is any enroute flight operation or portion of an operation that is conducted entirely within the designated operational service volume (or ICAO equivilents) of ICAO standard airway navigation facilities (VOR, VOR/DME, NDB). Class I navigation also includes enroute flight operations over routes designated as "MEA gap" (or ICAO equivilent). Enroute flight operations conducted in within these areas are defined as "Class I navigation" operations irrespective of the navigation means used. Class I navigation includes operations within these areas using pilotage or any other means of navigation which does not rely on the use of VOR, VOR/DME, or NDB."

Willit Run
6th Jan 2005, 21:59
GPS information is NAV data, and not a ground based facility supplying navigation information.

Intruder
6th Jan 2005, 22:47
My understanding of class 2 nav is that portion of navigation been done out of range of ground nav aids. If that is correct then an aircraft navigating by a GPS driving FMS would never be under class two nav?
Unfortunately, the definitions and rules have not been updated to include GPS as a NAVAID for purposes of navigation Class. Hence, even though GPS/FMS nav is as accurate (or moreso) than VOR/DME nav, pure GPS nav is still Class II.

The definitions, rules, policies, and precedure recommendations need to be updated to the reality of GPS nav.