PDA

View Full Version : Localizer Y/Z approaches

wilco77
1st Jan 2005, 09:41
Could someone please explain to me what a Localizer Y or Localizer Z approach is if you have come across this on a Approach plate.

Thanks

Wilco....

swh
1st Jan 2005, 12:40
Wilco,

I was of the understanding that the Y, or Z added to approach means first that there are two approaches to the same runway of the same type, different because Z has a VNAV descent (constand flight path angle) where Y has a step-down (dive and drive).

:ok:

wilco77
2nd Jan 2005, 03:59
Thanks swh

that kind of makes sense. Do you happen to have any website I can go to to get that information..

Cheers
WIlco..

hoss
3rd Jan 2005, 10:40
swh, sounds good but i hate to ruin your day. The new ILS-Y and ILS-Z for Canberra, Australia are only different for there DA(H) and Min Missed Apch Grad. Similar for Brisbane, but due to IBS DME or BN DME no mention of VNAV.

If you have a reference I'd be most grateful:) .

Brenoch
3rd Jan 2005, 13:32
You will also find that, especially in Italy they are quite happy having for instance ILS Sierra and ILS Papa to the same runway, only difference is the approach transition.

Rosanna
3rd Jan 2005, 15:26
Hi,
here in Italy it's also possible to find a T o Q ILS for the same runway, for example in LIRN
P is for "primaria" (primary)
S is for "secondaria" (secondary)
T is for "terza" (third)
Q is for "quarta" (forth)
Sometimes the difference is also in missed approach procedure but usually the difference is the IAF or in some VOR/NDB/DME unavailability.

I'm sorry for my bad english :bored:

Ciao!

Rosanna

Brenoch
3rd Jan 2005, 15:38
Hi Rosanna,

Thanks for clearing that up, I always wondered why they went for those designators..

Wish my italian was as good as your english...

Regs

Zoner
5th Jan 2005, 01:17
From The AIM, Chapter 5-4-5:

“The naming of multiple approaches of the same type to the same runway is also changing. Multiple approaches with the same guidance will be annotated with an alphabetical suffix beginning at the end of the alphabet and working backwards for subsequent procedures (ILS Z RWY 28, ILS Y RWY 28, etc.). The existing annotations such as ILS 2 RWY 28 or Silver ILS RWY 28 will be phased out and replaced with the new designation.”

You have to look at each procedure and decide which applies. Differences may be based on nav aids required such as DME, NDB, or TACAN. Look at Elmendorf AFB. They have the ILS Z RWY 6 and ILS Y RWY 6. The difference is one requires a VORTAC (BGQ) and the other requires TACAN (EDF) for the missed approach. It is up to you to advise ATC which approach you can accept, based on your installed equipment. Other differences may apply at other airports. The bottom line is you have to find those differences and pick your poison. Happy Flying.

Zoner
6th Jan 2005, 02:13
Thanks Rosanna,
I always wondered about those. LIRN also has the ILS-Victor RWY 24. Would that 5 or fifth?

Rosanna
7th Jan 2005, 07:52
Fifth is "quinto" in italian but Q is already used... I don't know why they used V and not another letter...

Ciao!

Rosanna

TheOddOne
7th Jan 2005, 07:58
Rosanna,

How about because 'V' is the Roman numeral for '5'?

Makes sense to me!

Cheers,
The Odd One

Rosanna
7th Jan 2005, 09:39
It makes sense also to me, I didn't think to roman numbers :)

Ciao!!!

Rosanna