PDA

View Full Version : which books ?

buzzc152
28th Dec 2004, 12:22
Hi all

I'll be starting my FIC in the next 8 weeks or so. Can any one tell me the required reading for the course ? Are there any books in a particular that I could start reading now before I start the course ?

Buzz

DJ 2
29th Dec 2004, 10:39
Try The Flying Instructor Manuals From a guy named Cambell.

QNH 1013
29th Dec 2004, 17:46
I think the Flying Instructor's manuals make more sense when you're actually doing the course (and afterwards). Before arriving for the FI course I was told to re-read all my PPL Flying Training Books.
On the course, you learn how to break each manoeuvre / lesson down into its constituent parts so you can demonstrate and teach it. Re-reading your PPL training books will make you familiar again with this.
Best idea is to telephone the FI school and ask your Instructor what they wish you to study first.

OZAZTEC
31st Dec 2004, 08:08
Jeppesen Flight Instructor Manual

Expensive but worth every cent/pence

Delta Wun-Wun
31st Dec 2004, 15:41
Get out your old PPL books,Trevor Thom or Jeremy Pratt and read up on them. That will get you nicely up to speed until your course starts.

NotamCheck
4th Jan 2005, 12:29
Don't forget the Q&As for your exam...

Read parts of your ATPL notes again and it may give you ideas for your half hour presentation. A/C General and Met are always good subjects to revise as an instructor is expected to have sound knowledge in this area.

I was told that to answer a question from a student you need to know the subject inside and out and the ATPL notes were about the right level to fully answer a PPL question with detail.

greeners
4th Jan 2005, 16:57
Well done for getting your licence sorted buzz, and best of luck with the FIC. Where are you doing yours? I certainly found it the most fun of the courses.

I know Cambell is regarded by many as gospel but I found it very dry. I was fortunate enough to have the notes from a number of colleagues who had done the course over previous years, but the advice from Rod Jarvis was very clear - DO NOT complicate the issue by reading different ways of doing the same thing. He argued that a good instructor (and Rod is clearly one of the very best) will teach you exactly what you need to know. I confess that I had my doubts but with hindsight I feel he is completely correct.

Make sure your prep time instead is used ensuring that you are completely comfortable explaining the basics in detail. Met - why are we having this weather today, and what will happen tomorrow based on the synoptic? What items on the TAF might prevent you sending a stude off on a QXC? Air Law (guaranteed questions) - requirements for PPL renewal versus revalidation? What will your new privileges be as an FI(R)? VMC vs VFR? PofF - derivation of glide range formula? 6 factors affecting stall speed, and how?

Only additional advice I would give if you are doing a concentrated course is to make sure that you keep the earlier trips in mind; re-pattering a trip the next day back to your instructor is very different to pattering it three weeks later!

Above all - enjoy it!:D

buzzc152
4th Jan 2005, 17:34
Thanks for the replies.

Greeners............ I'm probably doing it at Stapleford where I did my CPL and MEIR. I'm really looking forward to it and can't wait to get out there and start instructing.

I don't think I could face re-learning all the ATPL notes..... it nearly killed me the first time !! I'll check out some of the books suggested.

Thanks all

Buzz

Tinstaafl
4th Jan 2005, 22:52
Australia's CASA has a quite good guide/handbook to giving the various lessons such as S&L, Stalls etc etc. Although not optimised for the UK syllabus the poinsts it makes are still germaine.

It used to be quite cheap ~A$11.00 (although that was many years ago...).