PDA

View Full Version : SeaPlane in Ontario

FFP
28th Dec 2004, 01:08
Looking for a bit of local knowledge if I may . . .. . . .

Anyone know of a service that runs from St Catherines/Niagara area up to Toronto way as a means of commuting ?

Just wondering about the viability of such an idea . . . . .

rotornut
28th Dec 2004, 09:56
Interesting idea - I've thought about it too. As far as a seaplane goes, you would have problems in winter. Toronto Harbour often freezes over like last year. However, you could consider a landplane service from St. Catherines to Toronto City Centre. It's actually been tried back in the mid-eighties but was unsuccessful. But a lot more people commute from the Niagara area to Toronto these days so who knows...

P.S. On recollection I think there were 2 outfits that tried running that service. One had a Navajo Chieftain and the other a Twin Otter 100. I can tell you that the Chieftain was always breaking down (I used to work at YTZ) and, while the Twotter seemed Ok mechanically, they never had very good loads.

FFP
28th Dec 2004, 15:20
I agree Rotor. I think the number of people commuting from that region is much higher than in the 80's and to cut down travel time (meaning more time at home) such a service could work.

The landplane idea has some mileage. I'm off to St Catherines in the next few days so will look around some more.

Dockjock
29th Dec 2004, 02:54
I worked for a company that was trying to set up a seaplane base for sightseeing in Toronto harbour in 2000. All I can say is the idea was looked upon extremely unfavourably by the Toronto Port Authority. A bit of help from the mayor's office (but that person is no longer there) but still no joy. Witness the YTZ bridge/election debacle of 2003 and the protests that were raised by the island residents and you have a small idea as to the hurdles such a service would face.
The current mayor, the port authority, and the island residents would all vigorously oppose such an idea regardless as to the economic benefit it would bring to the city and waterfront. Really too bad as there is such a service off the east river in Manhattan (which Toronto loves to fancy itself akin to), Sydney, Seattle, and of course Vancouver and the entire west coast of Canada.

rotornut
29th Dec 2004, 10:49
FFP
Yes, there seem to be a lot more people commuting from south of the lake. Just watch The Weather Network (Rogers ch. 23) in the morning when they show traffic on the Skyway Bridge.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you think.