PDA

View Full Version : Hints and tips

Tubbs
23rd Dec 2004, 16:16
Cautionary tale:
The other day I was de-icing a PA-28. Having put a fair amount of fluid over the wings and got the ice cleared and most of the excess fluid removed, I started to carry out the external checks. During the course of the checks I was peering up to inspect the underside of the wing and a drop of fluid came in contact with my eyes. Glad to report no permanent damage, but I will say that it stung like a motherf***** and made me grumpy all morning.

Hint:
Be a bit careful when checking the underside after de-icing.

It struck me that it might be nice idea to put together a list of such hints and tips to benefit instructors/ppl/students. Anyone care to add to this?

QNH 1013
23rd Dec 2004, 16:43
Something similar once happened to me..... I was doing the external checks on a Cessna that had just been fueled. As I checked the aileron hinges a drip (only a drip) of avgas fell from the fuel vent and went straight into my ear. Didn't think anything much of it for a few minutes until it started to hurt like hell. I quickly found some water and washed my ear out as well as I could, but the pain was such that I had to cancel flying that morning.

Astronomy Dominie
24th Dec 2004, 07:26
...just wondering, why were you removing 'excess fluid'?

...and if you think it's a problem with a PA28, try walking around a dripping 737 without getting the odd drip here and there!

Tubbs
24th Dec 2004, 14:14
The ice had all melted, become fluid and mixed with the excess de-icing fluid which had been applied liberally - which I brushed off (have I missed something??).

You guys with your big shiny jets are alright...you've got those nice hats and rose tinted specs to protect you when you walk round!

Merry Christmas to all.
T

ps how about a few more hints and tips eh

Cambridge Aero Club
24th Dec 2004, 15:38
Here's a tip...

When walking around or in the general area of an aircraft keep in mind the damage that a static wick can do to your eyes if you walk into one! :ouch:

Particularly aircraft that are tall enough for the wick to be at eye height, usually the tail, and tend to be made of a solid rod rather than flexible wire.

If you're walking around between aircraft in a packed hangar and maybe not concentrating on what you're doing, you could screw up your life and career in a split second - not to mention the fact that it would 'effing' hurt a bit.

At Cambridge the blokes in our hangar have taken to unscrewing the solid ones when the aircraft are in for maintenance, a good practice I think. I have heard of several nasty accidents involving these things, don't be one of them! It makes me squirm just thinking about it.

Merry Christmas to all!

Luke

rotavator
24th Dec 2004, 19:58
When you are doing the odd inspection yourself and you are checking the mass balance weights, do hold the aeleron up - it hurt sooo much if the wind flicks it over :-)

Foz2
27th Dec 2004, 15:59
Don't eat yellow snow!

18greens
27th Dec 2004, 21:48
If you are in the habit of following your student around the A check about 5 mins after he has started.

'Don't check the actuating rod on the starbord aileron at the same time as the student is checking the port one. The second one there gets a very bruised finger.'

Oh and don't drive over narrow bridges when you are pi***d out of your brains.

dynamite dean
30th Dec 2004, 05:45
I had a student who did a pfre-flight on a cessna 150 one aileron was deflected down as he walked around he cut the corner so to speak and clapped the corner of the aileron is his eye - 3 days on the ground not flying and a nice white eye very bloody :ouch: