PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving resumes at Barwon Heads?

Cinders
22nd Dec 2004, 12:29
Rumours abound that skydiving resumed at Barwon Heads today after a court ruling in favour of the operator previously crispyfried on this site.

Does anyone have verifiable details of the ruling?

C.

Cinders
22nd Dec 2004, 20:28
http://www.geelonginfo.com.au/readarticle.asp?articleid=14140

Skydive City owner back in business

Thursday, December 23
NICOLE MAYNE

SKYDIVE City owner Luke McWilliam is free to drop parachutists again after bans on his operation were lifted yesterday.
The Federal Court upheld Mr McWilliam's appeal against a Civil Aviation Safety Authority decision banning parachute drops within two nautical miles of Barwon Heads Airport.

Judge Bradley Selway found the restrictions were invalid because Mr McWilliam was not given a fair hearing.

He quashed them, effective immediately, but referred the matter back to the aviation regulator who can consider further bans.

Mr McWilliam's lawyer, John Maitland, said his client was happy he could finally resume his parachuting business.

He said the decision showed CASA did not have the power to slap on bans in the way it did.

``Basically, it has been a stoush which ended up with Luke coming out with the judge siding with his argument,'' Mr Maitland said.

``CASA do have to follow due process.''

CASA introduced the ban on parachuting within two miles of Barwon Heads Airport in February on safety grounds.

It followed civil aviation breaches, including parachutists descending through cloud and near other aircraft. CASA claimed in the Federal Court it was unnecessary to provide a fair hearing because of the urgency.

But Judge Selway said it was obliged to give Mr McWilliam a right of reply.

CASA corporate communications manager Peter Gibson said it was yet to decide whether to enforce more bans. ``The option is open to us and we will have to make an assessment of current operations,'' he said.

morning mungrel
23rd Dec 2004, 02:48
Gee, where is RS and Co. when they are really needed.........

GW_04
23rd Dec 2004, 08:49
Bwaaahaaahaaahaaa :p :p

Lovin it.

Round 3 for the sad men.......?

QNINM?
RS?
POL??

Hmmm, yes where have they all gone (or has he gone should I say).

:O

QNIM
23rd Dec 2004, 20:48
Gday
Still around and heard the first breach of regulations within 4 hours of commencing operations so I don't think he will be around for much longer.
Cheers Q ;)

Sunfish
24th Dec 2004, 03:39
Thinking of flying to Barwon Heads to see a mate in the area. Does this mean that one should stay away from this particular airfield? Exectly what breaches have occured apart from dropping through cloud?

QNIM
25th Dec 2004, 03:56
Sorry forgot the HO HO HO HO bit

Gday
Santa comes but once a year and he was a day early to Luke McWilliam, Skydive City and Greg Bayley in the form of a Show Cause Notice from CASA expiring on the 6th January 2005. This notice ALLEDGES hundreds of breaches of regs including jumping through cloud, dropping when conflicting traffic in the drop zone, and even signing off a jumper’s log book for payment when the jumper had not completed his training.
In hindsight I think some previous posters may have been a little premature.
So you all have a safe and a happy Christmas as we are having.
Cheers Q

Rocket Rob
25th Dec 2004, 07:08
Well it is on again, what a very interesting subject, will CASA win out? must keep an eye on this site.

QNIM
26th Dec 2004, 18:25
Gday
Just thinking about Show Cause Notices, the rabbits across the road who banged 2 tigermoths together some months ago have got one which must due to expire any day now,it's about time CASA got serious with that lot.
Cheers Q :}

pol
27th Dec 2004, 08:13
Hi “Q”

What sort of an idiot is this operator, the noose is around his neck and still he defies the regs. :8

Dropping into a drop zone without a council permit (the council are on the move to remedy that):ok:

Drops when there is conflicting traffic (Incident reports on their way, more ammo for CASA):ok:

Speaking of idiots how stupid is the chief instructor, the operator is hanging him out to dry :ooh: and man he is way too old to get another job. (Can’t understand how he would let his maitland him in so much ****):confused:

Hi GW-04 & morning mongrel

Don’t worry we haven’t disappeared, just having a relax as it all happens, seems the authorities have crossed all the “T’s” and dotted all the “I’s" this time so roll on the 6th

Got a smile on my dial :D and that’s something I can’t say about the DIRT DARTS:(

HO HO HO thank you Santa or should I say CASA;)

Pol
:D

QNIM
28th Dec 2004, 19:20
Gday Pol

Seems all the meatbomb supporters have gone very quiet maybe they now understand the gravity (excuse the pun) of the situation these fools have put themselves into. I seem to remember the show cause document stated something about removing these people from meatbombing in Australia.
I think the APF wouldn't be too unhappy about that.
We wait for further developments.

Cheers Q

NiceGear
28th Dec 2004, 20:17
QNIM

Is life that boring down at BH these days that you have to continue to beat up on people over Pprune behind your username. No I am not a skydiver, doesnt interest me one bit, but do you think that enough is enough and this issue has been done to death. I tend to agree with you that Luke is his own worst enemy but when will this end. As for Randy what happened with the Tigers colliding on Anzac Day this year...?

NG

Rocket Rob
29th Dec 2004, 01:30
Nice Gear.

I sure as hell like statements from guy's like YOU "Are you hiding behind anomity" just looked at your profile and it is like the rest of us "GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE" before you fall off.

Since when is safety done to DEATH as you put it, they are a bit afraid this is exactly the problem if this clown keeps up the type of operation at this site, eg. cloud dropping no respect for any laws about his operations or the CASA rules that I hope YOU follow? (Have no first hand info but for the posts over the year )

You seem to know the people involved and of the other operator with the Tigers so it sounds as if you are in that area so why do you hide from others do you have something to hide as well? sure wish I could visit that spot one day it sounds interesting.

NiceGear
29th Dec 2004, 20:20
Rocket

I totally agree with you. Luke is his own worst enemy and I am dumb founded that a someone his lack of intellect is allowed a licence to operate. What I am getting at is that this issue has been going on for years over pprune. Its time for the people of BH to get together and have him outlawed the LEGAL way. Whats to say that Luke (from the wealthy McWillams family) didnt get his family to pay his way out of this one...

Whats Barb and the team think of the latest inclusion to the airport. It seems a bit suspect that he has returned in time for the peak jumping season over the Christmas New Year break..

NG

Rocket Rob
30th Dec 2004, 08:38
NiceGear

I bet the people involved have read your last post and could answer the comment on getting together and "Doing Something about the situation" I have no idea on that score but I would say that if you know them so well (as your posts suggest) it would be ideal if you had some input to them on a personal level about the way to go. His parents are THAT Mc Williams mmm that suggests to me that his attitude may be I can do/have anything I like so p*ss off.

I notice that the usual underdog wanke** are at his side to support him but that always happens if you have an interest in skydiving, Is it a club? the posts over the last year or so seems to indicate a business and it seems it must be a good spot for it.

Well I suppose CASA will sort it out but they too have made blunders over the years but I will keep on looking here.

morning mungrel
30th Dec 2004, 21:42
"What does Barb and the team think?"

Barb and the team were warned about him and his track record before he came to the airport. Plenty of people knew what he was about, most through bitter experience. It appears that they thought they knew better. Or was the money just too good?

They say "Forewarned is Forearmed". I guess that's true, but only if you actually take some notice.

John Walters
31st Dec 2004, 03:55
Been following this farscical situation for the past couple of years.

It appears this situation would not have gone on for so long if the authorities who control parachuting, namely the Australian Parachuting Federation, had acted in a responsible manner and taken action to make sure this operator kept to the rules and regulations.

No action on this cash cow has allowed it to blow out of control.

CASA have issued show cause notices recently to McWilliam, Bayley and Skydive City.

When will CASA issue a show cause to the APF who have not acted within the charter that CASA issued to allow them to control parachuting.

The APF sit back and watch. It will be interesting to find out in a couple of weeks if they support the action of CASA in banning parachuting within 3 miles of the BH airport, and the banning of McWilliam, Bayley and Skydive City from parachuting in Australia.

Surely parachuting will never be the same again because of the actions of McWilliam and Co. and the non action by the APF, but the APF cannot blame anyone but themselves.

The current officers of the APF should pack up and get out, as they have shown they are not able to administer parachuting within the charter they have been given by CASA.

I continue to watch with interest.

QNIM
31st Dec 2004, 22:40
Gday John W
Well said, I have been told that the APF are supporting Skydive City and co, it really does make one wonder about the mental compacity of the persons in charge of that organisation or is it the fact that they can't operate without that income from the admitted illegal operation. Have a happy new year.
Cheers Q

Lukeatme
2nd Jan 2005, 09:42
Qnim

You should not be surprised by the APF support for him Qnim the dollars come to easy, it must be a good revenue for them that is if he is telling them the truth about how many go through per day. (Just a little bit of a guess as he does not heed regulations or tell the truth so why should they be any different)

Over & out
4th Jan 2005, 07:37
One day to go.
It'll be interesting to see how effective thes show cause notices are.
O&O

QNIM
7th Jan 2005, 23:25
Gday
From Today's Australian

Skydiving firm faces shutdown
Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
08 January 2005

A SKYDIVING operator being investigated over the death of British tourist Claire Barnes has been threatened with possible closure after the air safety regulator accused it of posing "a serious and imminent risk" to aviation safety.

Luke McWilliam, who runs Skydive City at Barwon Heads in Victoria, has until January 28 to respond to a "show cause" notice from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, which contains dozens of alleged safety breaches.

The aviation watchdog says in the document that it is investigating whether Mr McWilliam, Skydive City and chief instructor Greg Bayly "have engaged in conduct that constitutes, contributes to or has resulted in a serious and imminent risk to aviation safety".

Mr McWilliam said he intended to answer the allegations, which he claimed were part of a campaign of harassment by "certain individuals" involved in a long-running legal dispute over land.

However, he failed to respond to a list of written questions submitted by The Weekend Australian on Wednesday.

The investigation could result in an order preventing Skydive City from conducting jumps within Australia and/or the reinstatement of a ban on jumps near the Barwon Heads airport.

The show-cause notice also raises issues about the death last March of 24-year-old Barnes, the daughter of British newsreader Carol Barnes and Foreign Office Minister Denis McShane.

An interim report by the Australian Parachute Federation found Barnes fell 4000m to her death after failing to pack her parachute properly.

CASA says in the document that it understands Barnes was issued with a "packer B" rating after a recommendation from a Skydive City employee.

"An important issue arising from the facts and circumstances referred to above is whether Skydive City took the necessary steps to ensure that Ms Barnes was adequately trained before she was issued with a packer B rating and whether sufficient assistance was provided to Ms Barnes to ensure that proper attention was given to her equipment assembly, maintenance and packing," it says.

The new show-cause notice is part of a long-running dispute involving Skydive City that led to a ban on skydiving in the immediate vicinity of Barwon Heads airport last year.

The Federal Court quashed the CASA ban last month when it ruled the skydiving operator had not been given a fair hearing. The court win came after Mr McWilliam was put on a 12-month good behaviour bond and ordered to donate $10,000 to a hospital after pleading guilty in Geelong Court to 21 safety breaches in July last year.

The court was told CASA investigators had seized videos showing skydivers jumping through cloud on 20 occasions.

CASA issues a show-cause notice when it has concerns that the operations of a company or person breaches its regulations. Most show-cause notices are issued over safety concerns.

A person or company receiving a show-cause notice must prove they are operating safely. Time frames to answer such notices vary according to the nature of the allegation.

The situation is complicated by the fact that skydiving is regulated by the parachute federation, but CASA has overall responsibility for aviation safety.

I think this article say's it all, where are all those skydive suporters.

Cheers Q

Rocket Rob
12th Jan 2005, 11:13
Cheap sand anyone?

pol
13th Jan 2005, 20:50
Hi Rocket Rob

Are we talking DIRT DART DIRT or SKYDIVER SAND?

pol
:ok:

TopperHarley
13th Jan 2005, 23:16
Just out of interest, who are the more reputable meatbombing operators in the Melb/Geelong area ??

I want to give a friend a tandem jump for a birthday present........

Thanks

Islander Jock
14th Jan 2005, 00:48
TopperHarley,
If they are still operating, I'd recommend Commando Skydivers at Pakenham.

Cheers IJ

Di_Vosh
14th Jan 2005, 06:08
Are now at Tooradin

DIVOSH!

QNIM
15th Jan 2005, 00:05
Gday Rocket
Is the sand a private joke or can you let us in unless they have planted some unsuspecting punter but I haven't seen anything in the papers.
Come on you can trust me.
Cheers Q

Rocket Rob
15th Jan 2005, 20:32
Well!!!

Once upon a time in Jumping land there existed a Sand pit (but lets not lie, it was a loam pit) the then well acting people would aim for and descend into it?

As the naughty darts progressed they began to land, slide and get down any old place THEY liked (herein lies the problems) this little piece of nirvana then just sat around looking a mess (these chappies seem to be good at it) looking out of place and would need to be cleaned up (and parking may be needed there,Planes that is)) Well!! as the cleanup started a few people were in the middle of this operation and out came "Dancing Boy" (I presume he was one as his arms went a waving and mouth muttered words like "This is my work area Stop,Stop you cannot do this, I lease this spot up to a few trees up north"???) That one confused me too, I did not know you could lease anything to trees.!!

Bewildered by dancing boy's response a few asked him to F***K Off as he had no lease, the boys in blue were requested (dancing boy gave the bobcat operator a wonderfull performance with his antics)and he too thought, I wish he would F***K off.
The "Boy" (as he will be named) continued his wonderful art form of twisting ,shouting and lovely dance steps to get into position in front of a working bobcat, the operator pointing out the presence of a lovely companion for the Boy a reasonable SNAKE a few feet away but alas the Boy kept it up (now I think this Snake is his friend as he just kept on Dancing away muttering) a bemussed group still tried to point out that Dancing Boy should (you know the word) off. But this Boy kept it up whilst looking south for a large gent whom he had forget to bring with him (his keeper I presume) but that soon happened a little later on (Are you glad you asked me the question Qnim?)

But alas NO the Gendarms arrived and dancing boy spat out volumes of beautifull cr*p to them and they were convinced (well that may be a little lie by me,but hey it fits well in dancing boy's image) So let's get the owners response "He has no lease at all here" well that sure sent the Gedarms a rocking, they muttered something like "Carry on and do what you like" but dancing boy had to WIN this one (sure as hell needs some win) he made the cat operator a happy man as he said he would pay him to take the sand (sorry loam third grade) to his area and well the sigh of relief on everyones face was great news now we get the job done for free. But I bet in the Boys eyes he had thought he had stiffed us well and good, well he got the loam,weeds,(not the weeds he thought it may contain hey) and best of all a great mate the SNAKE which would make a good little companion for Dancing Boy.

Well that is the SAND story Qnim but still more is happening in this little saga as now he does not feel the pilot should obey the rules of dropping whilst aircraft are in the circuit/landing/taking off or worrying about chutes drifting into live circuit zones, the Boy is a genius he has survived for a few years but hey that MUST end before a bigger story (that no one wants to see happen) comes to fruition.

Cheers and a good day from Rocket Rob. (The edit was to fix a few spelling errors,but alas the devoted followers of dancing boy will make comments, hell I will ignore you!!!!) Hell I saw this reproduced by Qnim and it still spelling mistakes but I just have to fix em.

QNIM
15th Jan 2005, 23:15
Gday Rocket.
I love Fairytales
Sounds like I missed a Logie Award winning performance bugga, seems like he hasn't learn't from his passed experiences or does he continue live in his little fantasy world, that really doesn't matter because the big chop is coming later this month, the large gent you mentioned rumour has it (excuse the pun) is bailing out.
He must have seen the light at the end of the tunnel (but that light is the headlight of the oncoming train).
They just keep us laughing, life's going be boring without them but a lot safer.
Why would Dancing Boy change and comply with regs now, maybe he has forgotten he is on a good behaviour bond and if charged with any parachuting offence he will be back facing all the earlier charges to which he pleaded guilty again.
The mind boggles.
Cheers Q :p

Lukeatme
16th Jan 2005, 21:21
MMM!!!!

The Melbourne station channel 7's promo for Monday night looks very interesting 1830 (this day tonight) seems to have some interesting developments about people who have done some tandems and not too happy about this groups effort being safe, will be worth a look I would suggest.

Rocket Rob
18th Jan 2005, 20:22
Well

That was not a good show for the "Sky Dive City" at all but must point out the other mob doing a jump for the reporter seemed to have a very loose (if not fastened) top strap as she did not look to secure in the harness on the jump at all.

Maybe a funny camera angle but I would be a bit worried!
Before you critics jump (mind the pun) run off at the mouth yes I have done several but on static line in the early days.

Sprite
19th Jan 2005, 01:31
I watched that report on TT. Was interesting to see the dopey skydive instructor say to the journo while she was getting into the van "don't worry this is the most dangerous part...the ride to the airport". Maybe he didn't read the stats that GA is as dangerous (as far as i can remember) as riding a motorbike. Something like 8 times more dangerous than the van ride to the airport.

And the "we don't jump through cloud comment" :rolleyes:

QNIM
19th Jan 2005, 21:02
Gday Sprite

Dancing Boy put on a great show and so did that person from the APF who has witnessed Dancing Boy dropping through cloud some months ago, and doesn't return phone calls from concerned people around Barwon Heads regarding these dangerous operations.
I really hope that CASA do take a serious look at the APF and those who run it.
I also now wait for Graeme Johnson the state coroner to investigate the death earlier last year and hopefully he will except some input from others in the area.

Cheers Q

C.A.
20th Jan 2005, 06:35
But QNIM/pol/whatever callsign you are using this week, you looked so good in that flightsuit!

He he.

Where was the leather jacket with the sheepskin collar?

Think the girl who died did so due to her own personal gear malfunctioning, which I think you will find will be hard to pin on an operator no matter how good od dodgy they are. However give it a try, you never know your luck in a big city.

All the very best

CA

LMAO@U
29th Jan 2005, 13:57
Anybody read the APF fatality report on the girl that died at Barwon Heads?

Ang737
30th Jan 2005, 19:13
HI All

I was flying on the weekend and heard TCZ out of Barwon on parachute ops... What happened to the Jan 28 show cause to CASA. How did he get out of this one...

Ang ;)

pol
7th Feb 2005, 07:45
Hi Ang737

There’s no noise from TCZ now probably what happens when one connects a 24v battery pack to a 12v system in a desperate attempt to start an unwilling motor.
:confused:
Maybe the maintenance that happens in Weasel’s hangar of a night is catching up:\ .

Not saying the maintenance is illegal but one must wonder when TCZ disappears into the hangar of a night and is back on the tie-downs again next morning.:E

Can you throw some light on this Kyle?:uhoh:

pol

Rocket Rob
7th Feb 2005, 21:29
"Maintenance"????

Isn't that the stuff you pay the wife? oh hell maybe that word should be changed as now I can see what the department means!!!! (The above does not mean that it is not done to the wife or aeroplane. OK )

24volts onto a 12volt system? hell what are they doing? sure sounds like something will spin over a bit easier but it could be a little difficult to explain to a poor old LAME asking what did you do out of the normal. (Usually the answer is oh nothing mate)

Anyhow it is interesting because the usual complaint about dropping is "Can you get it down a bit quicker mate as it costs money while you stay up" that little number causes quite a bit of trouble for number 1 (or others) cylinders"

The extra time with warming on the way down means this problem is helped but again hey! This may just be a rambling by me, but lots of operators have had this problem.

Hangered over night then out again in the morning, sure sounds a bit strange for an aircraft that stays out in the saltair enviroment over the years. Maybe all is ok but what the heck maybe that's why everyone wears a parachute on that kite.

John Walters
11th Feb 2005, 22:05
a little birdie tells me that this week the dancing boy was dancing again in the Geelong magistrates court.

you see, he applied for another intervention order on yet another responsible pilot

I think this is the third or fourth application as payback for complaints.

Anyway, I understand the magistrates said he was sick and tired of his court being used to sort out the boys problems.

After adjourning and discussion between the defendant and the boys legal rep, the rep got the right story and recommended the application be withdrawn.

The boy in his usual spoilt boy tantrams has problems coming to terms that he is being defeated.

Result, had to withdraw from this one, before the magistrate threw it out with costs.

Another big result coming soon.

The boy will be dancing with his partner next time.

Keep up the info. Last chapter is approaching.

Rocket Rob
17th Feb 2005, 03:47
John

This is interesting, The Dancing Boy will not be ammused at all!!!

Sunfish
17th Feb 2005, 05:33
which magistrate?

rs480
20th Feb 2005, 22:13
John Walters

Would that be the “LAST WALTZ” ? ;)

Sunfish

Magistrate Von Einem
Dancing Boy is treading on thin ice with this man.:\

rs:ok:

John Walters
20th Feb 2005, 22:45
To rs480

The way CASA is going Dancing Boy could be dancing the highland fling.

It is now 23 days since the show cause notice date and all you lot at Barwon Heads should be concerned

Is CASA going to turn over and let the dancing continue?

Must have been some reply probably full of the usual bull***t that is know to come from the boy and partner

I believe he is putting on a display at the air rally.

Not sure if parachuting or dancing

Rocket Rob
28th Feb 2005, 04:25
Hi John Walters

Dancing boy did a silly thing in my opinion, he had jumpers onto the field with the Air Rally Sunday at approx. 11:30 hrs. and heard a lot of pilots questioning the wisdom of this with 3 aircraft in the circuit, one person has stated he is 225 ing as this is not on (visitor to area) maybe he has had problems elsewhere but he was a bit upset!!!!

Sunfish
1st Mar 2005, 00:48
I have a mate I wish to visit at Barwon Heads, but I will definitely NOT be flying into that airstrip until I know that this nonsense has stopped.

John Walters
1st Mar 2005, 05:12
Rocket Rob you are right. Have heard plenty of this para operation and decided to have a good look for myself at the weekend.

Looked around Saturday from mid morning with arrivals of trikes ultralights and GA. was great to see.

Then Sunday morning attended again to watch aircraft take off. couldnt believe my eyes when seeing so many aircraft in the air and tandem parachutists landing inside the circuit, and within 100m of aircraft taking off

This clown has no respect for public safety, aircraft safety and safety of his staff. He had two jump planes Sunday.

What is wrong with CASA? Why no decision yet on the show cause? It appears CASA has got themselves in a right old mess and may cost millions to get out.

Believe owner does not want parachuting on the airfield. So why no decision.

I have read the rules, but then some of these parachutists either cant read or just ignor them

Dancing bay appears to have his own set.

after the weekend CASA must act and do what they threatened to do, kick the law breakers out.

Sunfish
1st Mar 2005, 21:26
Can you document this and submit it to CASA?

C.A.
2nd Mar 2005, 00:56
Hi John

It sounds like you know a little bit more than you let on.

But think about this logically for a second. Drop about to commence and other aircraft in the area notified 2 minutes before they leave the aircraft, thence again on dropping. 1 minute in air, then under parachute for another few minutes before conflicting with circuit height. Thats about 5 minutes warning roughly (normally) agreed?

Question.
Isnt that enough prior notice for a taxiing or lined up aircraft to either take off and get out of there OR (as common sense would suggest) to establish there will be a conflict and wait on the ground? Theres no big fuel burners down there to worry about idle time. And on landing enough preparation to push out slightly on base or downwind to provide separation. Or are the private operators angry and unwilling? There are 2 sides always.

As you did say you have read the rules, so dont departing aircraft have to give way to arriving aircraft (as much as we dont like it, thats what we have to interpret them to be!).

And to top it off, dont powered aircraft have to give way to unpowered?

The key to this whole situation is that the courts and CASA still will not decide on anything down there so I think a few people will have to swallow their pride and get along with each other and work together to make it work.

And yes it can work with them all there, it has at just about every other aerodrome in the country with a drop zone. Barwon Heads is definately no different! Just the characters are.

Time this was finally put to bed id say? Its had its time in the sun!

Keep your cool guys and have fun. Thats what its all about.

C.A.

Sunfish
2nd Mar 2005, 21:47
Yes,C.A. a sweet reasonable point, and that is how it should be. However I think the point is that Saturday and Sunday BH was hosting the Great Australian Air Rally.
It was well known that there were going to be a lot of aircraft about.

Sweet reason suggests that perhaps Mr. Mc Williams (if that is the person who is being alluded to) should have contacted the organisers of the Rally and perhaps arranged a few half hour windows for his activities or made some other arrangement.

I would like to understand more about all this. It sounds as if certain people were rather upset.

Lukeatme
3rd Mar 2005, 21:52
C.A.

You are missing the point!! this miscreant has caused so much trouble and anguish that the OWNER of this AIRFIELD (not licenced but an ALA) does not want him around jumping into this airfield at ALL . Must be hard to get into people's heads that owners have rights too and also I believe the hangar he is in is also under dispute,he does not want him in IT as WELL, gee this sure is simple he has caused so much trouble NO ONE WANTS THE DANCING BOY. Your lovely get together and be friends has been tried to death, but he just does not want to be doing it by the RULES (he has his own opinion and CASA can get St****d, why bother with RULES if you seem to be getting away with it) makes you think hard about CASA as they would jump (bad pun) on anybody else with big fines and threats of all kinds but in this instance it seems a bit strange about the goings on???

What about the cloud penetrations, the climb to oxygen required levels, the need for seat belts, and just pop down and watch a taxi when the tail is almost dragging on the ground (would love a look at the weight and balance sheet)

I suppose the TV stations that have copies of film of drops through cloud and other violations are wrong too!!! best you get of the high horse you are on and take a real look at the situation down that way as it is not SAFE and do you expect law abiding pilots to turn a blind eye??? DO NOT THINK SO!!!!

Thought I better point out that yes I know the 180 he was using as well on the last weekend is a tail dragger, so the tail will drag but the other is not supposed to!!

C.A.
4th Mar 2005, 03:34
Luke,

No need to get so defensive over my reply to John. Or do you too have more than one identity here? I dont believe I am missing the point or getting on a horse.

Your very first 2 lines display an underlying issue which I would probably say from your previous posts, stems the problem. The operator is not liked! Fine, dont deal with him. The person/s you speak to on the radio will not be him but a pilot who is trying to organise some kind of separation as best they can. Can you not speak to them and organise some kind of system amongst yourselves?

After all even the busiest skydiving operations in the country have their jumpers conflicting with circuit traffic for about 2 minutes every load. In general that is about every 30 minutes but if they are using a 206 or (as you mention) 182 that will be about every 45 minutes. (Ok, so less if 2 aircraft but does that happen a lot?) So at max. 4 minutes every hour you have to contend with separation and maybe hold. Thats not even an hour every day! Come on, let these people enjoy their aviation too.

I think thats the point that is being forgotten here. These tandem passengers, students and skydivers want to enjoy themselves. Their way of doing it is slightly different than ours but its still a form of aviation! Just because we dont do it personally doesnt mean it does not count!

Yes the owner is daft and you dont like him. But do you want to stop other people enjoying themselves in aviation and deny them the same rights of pleasure that we have. Surely you cant be on that type of high horse thinking that your form of enjoyment and aviation is far superior than others.

Can you see how this looks in an international aviation forum when the issues seem to be clearly personal, local and political. The problems seem to be the operator, not the plane or the pilot which makes it something that needs to be dealt locally. Keep it local, as Im sure that Barwon Heads as a place and an airport has suffered by these complaints.

How many people (please post in) would not go to this airport or area now since these topics were risen? It has been said by many already? Is that hurting the local economy or even your air rally?

In reference to your vindictive first paragraph, I am unsure about hangar and aerodrome access but with all the actions in the courts down there he obviously has some legal right to be there. People should stop signing the contracts! I assume thats what links him to these places. Maybe the almighty dollar keeps this thing going behind your back. Maybe people arent what the seem.

Sunfish, thankyou. My sweetness is only generally trying to offer ideas out of this conflict for you all. And I definately agree about prior notice but didnt John say something about this on Feb 21. Obviously someone knew something?

Fun remember. We should all be enjoying ourselves, not getting bitter and twisted.
C.A.

Law abiding pilots. Come on Im sure weve all got some cool story we tell over beer of days when we didnt follow all the laws. Please dont try and convince me we are all angels!

morning mungrel
5th Mar 2005, 01:11
Interesting points, C.A. The only reason he is there at all is because in the first instance, the owner decided that the skydive operators "pieces of silver" were what mattered. As has been pointed out before, they were warned about his style of operation. And not just from one source, either. His track record at his previous airport should have alerted the airport owner at BH, if nothing else. But the idea of getting a leg up over the "other airport" just proved tooooo damn tempting, didn't it. Reap as ye sow, as they say.....

QNIM
8th Mar 2005, 22:46
Gday

I have spoken to several pilots attending the rally and they said that they together with their mates have submitted incident reports to CASA re the dropping while conflicting traffic in the circuit on Sunday morning these are not local people so the powers to be should take notice as they are not as bias as some. They were dropping through low cloud the previous weekend coz I saw them.

Cheers Q

Boney
9th Mar 2005, 06:31
"not as bias as some" - they would be you wouldn't it QNIM?

Dropping through low cloud, umm - does that mean jumpers were jumping from 1,000ft or something?

Or were they jumping from 14,000ft., opening at 4,000ft., as would be the case and there was broken/scattered below them under canopy. Sorry to rain on ya parade, but perfectly legal.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

jumpnut
10th Mar 2005, 01:04
I'm just writing here for a bit of fun!

I have skydived both in Australia and the US. In the states I was jumping at a large GA airport with 4 intersecting runways, at least 2 of which were active on most ocassions. I must admit it was nerve racking to start with but the skydiving operator and airfield operators work together and it is a very well oiled chain.

Skydiving is a very progressive sport and one that is going to be around for a hell of a long time so get used to it. I reckon that half of you guys talk it down so much simply because you are scared of it.

After looking on this forum I was surprised at just how much rubbish there is on this particular subject. Don't you dereks have anything better to do with your life? I mean one guy mentioned that he went out there on the weekend to check it all out, one would think he works for CASA or something, get a life!

I honestly hope that this operator wins in court and sticks it right up the lot of ya! Blue skies mate!

Oh yeah and if jumping through cloud is dangerous then so is flying through it in your flying spam cans!

Ha ha ha this is funny, I can't wait to see what people say.

maxgrad
10th Mar 2005, 09:18
are we there yet

Sunfish
10th Mar 2005, 18:42
Errrrrrr, VFR pilots don't fly through clouds Mr. Jumpnut.

jumpnut
10th Mar 2005, 21:52
Errr My Sunfish learn how to read before writing mate! I didn't make any reference to VFR or IFR pilots, all I said is that if it is safe to fly a plane through cloud then it is just as safe to fly your body and a parachute. I think we all know that the V in VFR means visual.

This statement was made by Rocket Rob in the Great Air Rally thread and in my opinion sums it all up....

"But the folks that did attend seemed to have a good time!! I think you will find that if you can count we call anything that flies an aircraft so you can add about 15 trikes and other home made variants to your list"

Ha ha you better add parachutes to this as well!!!!!!

Talk about a conflicting statement.

Boney
11th Mar 2005, 00:45
Jumpnut

This has been going on for a year and a half. A post is put up (always by the same person) and then the usual suspects post at least once a week for a couple of months until it dies. A month or so later, another one appears and it all starts again.

It really is quite sad to see how small some peoples lives are.

Pathetic!

Sunfish
15th Mar 2005, 19:05
I think I am going to throw up, preferably all over you, jumpnut.

If your attitude to regulation is typical, then I hope you only kill yourself when you eventually bend the rules once too often.

As for me, the Barwon Heads CTAF is off limits until such time is it can be demonstrated that its likely occupants, with or without aircraft attached, are obeying the rules.

Cinders
17th Mar 2005, 11:48
Sunfish 24 Dec. This thread
Thinking of flying to Barwon Heads to see a mate in the area. Does this mean that one should stay away from this particular airfield? Exectly what breaches have occured apart from dropping through cloud?

Sunfish 1 March. This thread
I have a mate I wish to visit at Barwon Heads, but I will definitely NOT be flying into that airstrip until I know that this nonsense has stopped.

Sunfish 16 March. This thread
As for me, the Barwon Heads CTAF is off limits until such time is it can be demonstrated that its likely occupants, with or without aircraft attached, are obeying the rules.

Numerous other posts from Sunfish in this thread.

Yet…

Sunfish 22 Feb. "This time wankers" thread.
Worse Sunfish this afternoon.. Gives his CTAF call (119.00) Barwon Heads, on 119.90 (freudian slip) and is reminded that this is YMMB ground freq
Damn those digits! Stupidity and inexperience= 1, professionalism= 0)
Oh to sound like a skygod(assuming factual information).

Is the Emperor wearing new robes?

C.

Sunfish
17th Mar 2005, 20:35
Nup Cinders, but I admire your forensic skills. I presume you know the bay area. To impress my friends with my considerable flying skills (Not!). I like to take them on a little "around the bay" cruise.

This takes me to overhead YMAV from YMMB via the coastal route, then over Corio bay via Point Henry to Leopold. Leopold is right on the edge of the Barwon Heads CTAF and thats where I turn East for Queenscliffe and the Rip.

As taught, I give a position on the BH CTAF frequency overhead Leopold. I've heard another aircraft using the BH strip but their voice procedure was so bad and their mike was so stuffed I couldn't make out exactly what they were doing.

I've heard the para guys at Nagambie setting up for a drop with calls on the area frequency to ATC etc. and taken avoiding action they seemed perfectly responsible and organised.

However, like most pilots I have a horror of a mid air, and I'm not going near BH unless I know that the operator is responsible, and it sounds from the evidence to date that he may not be.:}

pol
24th Mar 2005, 04:36
Boney (the BUCKETMOUTH):p

A video with the DIRT DARTS dropping thru cloud on that particular Sunday has been handed to CASA, guess that confirms “Qs” statement.

What have you to confirm your dribble? :confused:

We know who’s sad and pathetic! :uhoh:

pol

27/09
24th Mar 2005, 07:40
I didn't make any reference to VFR or IFR pilots, all I said is that if it is safe to fly a plane through cloud then it is just as safe to fly your body and a parachute. I think we all know that the V in VFR means visual.

So the meatbombs are operating IFR then?:D

Lukeatme
3rd Apr 2005, 08:18
27/09

An interesting name!!!!

Onan the Clumsy
4th Apr 2005, 03:39
well, 27/08 would be interesting..

pol
7th Apr 2005, 09:46
Hi "Q"

I have just read two directions from CASA and they went like this

Instrument number CASA 131/05

I,JAMES MARCOLIN,Acting General Manager, General Operations, Aviation Safety Compliance, a delegate of CASA,make this instrument under regulation 152 of the CIVIL Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR) 1988)

Specification-parachute operations in the vicinity of Barwon Heads aerodrome

1 Revocation
Instrument CASA 36/04 is revoked.

Note Instrument CASA 63/04, which purported to revoke Instrument CASA 36/04, was held by the AAT on 22 December 2004 to be invalid

2 Application

This instrument applies to a person who is:

a. a member of the Australian Parachute Federation Inc or the Australian Skydiving Association; and
b. authorised to make a parachute descent by an authorisation in force under regulation 152 of CAR 1988.

3 Specification

A parachute descent may not be made within 4.8 kilometres of Barwon Heads aerodrome, Victoria (location indicator YBRS, reference point South 30deg 15.5’, East 144deg 26.0’

Instrument number CASA 130/05

I,JAMES MARCOLIN,Acting General Manager, General Operations, Aviation Safety Compliance, a delegate of CASA,make this instrument under subregulation 92 (2) of the CIVIL Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR) 1988)

DIRECTION- PARACHUTE OPERATIONS IN THE VICINITY OF Barwon Heads aerodrome

1 Revocation
Instrument CASA 34/04 is revoked.

Note Instrument CASA 63/04, which purported to revoke Instrument CASA 34/04, was held by the AAT on 22 December 2004 to be invalid

2 Application

This instrument applies to the pilot in command of an aircraft engaged in an operation involving the descent of parachutists.

3 Direction

The Pilot must not allow a person to exit the aircraft to conduct a parachute descent within 4.8 kilometres of Barwon Heads aerodrome, Victoria (location indicator YBRS, reference point South 30deg 15.5’, East 144deg 26.0’

Signed
Jim Marcolin
Acting General Manager
General Operations
Aviation Safety Compliance
6 April 2005

WHAT A SHAME LAUGHING BOY IS SHUCH A NICE FELLOW

pol:ok: ;) :D

QNIM
7th Apr 2005, 12:48
Gday
Just finished reading it, CASA very slow but quite methodical one wonders what dribble dancing boys rabbit will dream up to counter this document, maybe something like the previous fairy tales they dished up a while ago, anyway things been a bit boring lately I need a good laugh.
Cheers Q ;)

Sunfish
7th Apr 2005, 22:28
I wonder if this guy will even comply?

C.A.
7th Apr 2005, 22:39
Hello.
Doesnt Revoked mean they are taking it away or withdrawing the initial directive? And doesnt the second part mean that the AAT made the replacement instrument invalid.

Hang on.

Doesnt that mean it is good for skydivers?

Hang on, hang on, does that mean you guys changed teams?

Think there may have been some mix up.

C.A.

PS. We all know QNIM and pol are the same person. Dont give away ammunition. Maybe use a new title that we havent seen so as not to be as obvious. Just an idea!

VH-Cheer Up
7th Apr 2005, 23:17
Sunfish

Check PMs

Sunfish
8th Apr 2005, 01:30
done, will call.

pol
8th Apr 2005, 01:36
C.A.

If you could understand what was written you may stop making foolish statements.:uhoh:

In previous forums on skydiving pol, QNIM and others were named (miss that did we):oh:

You also missed the NEW INSTRUMENT NUMBERS CASA 130/05 and 131/05
as well as the APPLICATION and DIRECTION of these orders.:confused:

If you’re going to tell a tale best to check all the facts first and relate the entire story not selected excerpts and you won’t look such a dickh**d.:\

pol

John Walters
8th Apr 2005, 01:48
To CA - suggest you read the instruments again.
Obviously in your excitment with point 1 you didn't get to 2 and 3 as thats what is now in place.

and by the way I've worked it out that QNIM and pol are different people.

This morning I have also read the instruments and the grounds for issuing them. very very interesting!!

Quotes from CASA docs

"The facts and circumstances set forth above, provide reasonable grounds to believe that Luke McWilliam, Greg Bayly and Skydive City have engaged in conduct that constituted a serious risk to aviation safety"

"The facts and circumstances set set forth above, provide reasonable grounds to believe that Luke McWilliam, Greg Bayly and Skydive City are each unwilling and unable to comply with the Civil Aviation Regulations in the conduct of parachute descents"

"Further, the facts and circumstances set forth above, indicate that aviation safety will be threatened if parachute operations are allowed to be conducted at or near BHA or within the Barwon Heads area, having regard to the high number of conflicting situations between parachutists and aircraft, the strong wind conditions and the very confined nature of the BHA and the location of the drop zone"

"In the event that parachuting activities continue at or near Barwon Heads Aerodrome, I (CASA officer) believe that an accident will occur, including a collision between a parachutist and an aircraft, primarily because of the conduct of Luke McWilliam, Greg Bayly, and Skydive City Pty Limited in participating in or allowing parachute descents to be made through cloud"

Question to CASA and the Australian Parachute Federationand its members.

With the above comments and the seven pages of incidents listed, why are McWilliam and Bayly still allowed to be involved in parachuting.

Look forward to hearing from the parachuting members.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy parachuting but do we need these people bringing this sport down.

Sunfish
8th Apr 2005, 02:11
JW, is this available on the web?

rs480
8th Apr 2005, 03:21
John Walters

I agree and now the CRAP LAUGHING BOY HAS STIRRED UP HAS SPLASHED ONTO THE AUSTRALIAN SKYDIVING ASSOCIATION.

“WHAT GREAT AMBASSADOR FOR SKYDIVING”

rs480

Sunfish
8th Apr 2005, 03:55
Interesting, the orders prohibit the dropping of skydivers within 4.8 kilometers of BH. Presumably this means he can find another drop zone and continue his allegedly unsafe practices.

Hercman
8th Apr 2005, 07:49
What does the Australian Skydiving Association have to do with it RS480?

C.A.
9th Apr 2005, 05:03
Hi All

Mental note to self, dont post after too many brews! Sorry to all.

Pol, appologies to you. Rs is your other title, my mistake. Sorry. But yes it will be interesting to see the court process this all again.

JW, Thankyou for showing my misguided thought process. Have to get that checked out!

C.A.

rs480
11th Apr 2005, 00:28
Hercman

I do believe Instrument number CASA 131/05 precludes the ASA from conducting parachute descents within 4.8 kilometers of Barwon Head’s aerodrome.

This restriction is not because of any wrongdoing by the ASA, it is a direct result of one rogue operator and his chief instructor who are unwilling to comply with the regulations and treat everyone on and around the Barwon Heads aerodrome with contempt.

CASA have said there must be separation between aircraft and parachutists, banning parachute operations at this aerodrome has achieved that and if this is used as a model to attain the desired result it may have wide ramifications in the industry.

My suggestion is that all DIRT DARTS should have a jolly good look at what is happening at Barwon Heads, why it is happening and who is to blame, because it is not enhancing the image of skydivers.

In any other industry the rotten apples would have been removed by the controlling body, but in this case the APF continue to support these rotten apples to the detriment of the industry WHY?

Rs480:ok:

Lukeatme
11th Apr 2005, 01:11
RS 480

It sure is amazing how the experts that are not on the strip or in the area come to the rescue of this rogue operator, no real knowledge of the situation that is happening and defend him at all costs WHY,we are here and see all the problems first hand (but hey you must not talk to each other about it as that is piss***g them off) but we do expect a few wan***s to support as they have not got the safety aspect in there mind (just jump,dance or whatever) I suppose that is in the nature of the divers as they jump off towers,bridges and the like that is also mostly illegal (some do get permission) as they get a thrill bugger anybody elses safety I am OK jack.

The APF surely must not be condoning this attitude, if it does well what do you do to get things back to a safe condition?

1./ Stop jumping through cloud cover.
2./ Jump in another spot that does not have any conflicting traffic,as you stated a while back people here have tried to help in another location.
3./ Educate the divers about the rights of others to survive and not be hit by a jumper under canopy or worse in free fall. In either case aircraft and diver will be fighting to survive it.

QNIM
12th Apr 2005, 00:22
Gday

Did I see someone dancing in and out of Centrelink accompanied buy a large gentleman the other day?

Cheers Q :O

pall
13th Apr 2005, 07:03
Went past BHA today. No sign of ANY skydive ops. Hangar locked. Rumour has it the Bayley has bailed out!

This will make ops impossible I assume.

Can't see too many being willing to volunteer as Jumpmaster for this outfit!

rs480
15th Apr 2005, 23:59
Hi pall

Rumour has it the old bald guy is not dancing boy’s partner anymore.:oh:

Word is the C182 that arrived at BHA this week is Bayley’s and he is going to start up his own outfit.:oh: :oh:

Guess the old bloke can see an opportunity as dancing boy is without a jumpmaster and all the promotional work has been done.:E

If this is correct the boy will dance up a storm.:}

Rs480 :ok:

pall
19th Apr 2005, 00:04
If that is the 182 that landed last week that I was there, the pilot did a very SPECIAL landing.

A passing motorist came in to complain that the aircraft had come in too low (on app to 35) over her car and frightened her.

Stangely she had skydived with the dancing boy in the past and was fully aware of his reputation.

Perhaps the pilot is establishing himself at BHA. Make a big impression every time you land and people will surely take you seriously. :cool:

Keeping up the fine tradition :ok:

Lukeatme
19th Apr 2005, 02:59
Pall

Have seen at this airport a few years back when a student thought he was in the submarine corps. came in that low a pushbike rider had to duck down an if he had not would have been taken out by the right hand wheel of a C150

Numerous times over the years large fast machines have had to watch for buses landing on 35 (the plane not the buses) as the hot day and no wind situation can be tricky for fasties.

If he keeps that up the impression may be visible (ssppllaattt) just like a bug, so is the dancing dude out or what?

John Walters
19th Apr 2005, 08:01
Is it correct that the dancing boy has been put out of action for 28 days following further breaches at the weekend?

Rumor has it that after the fat man bayled out he made arrangements for the loan of a safety officer for the weekend so the boy could dance.

The fat man carried out his own surveilance, and guess what?
He apparently witnessed parachuting through cloud. surprise! surprise!

What does he do? He gets on the phone to the safety officer and reports what he has seen.The parachute safety officer takes the action that should have been taken years ago and suspends operation for 28 days.

Remember I mentioned recently about the CASA notice?

Well I just seen another document from CASA and you would not believe the irresponsible dribble that CASA has proposed for the operations at Barwon Heads.

Option 1--CASA has submitted a proposal on behalf of the boy to change circuit directions according to the wind direction to comply with what the boy wants. This will make the airfield even more dangerous with continual changes of circuit directions. Great conditions for visiting pilots and students.

Option 2--It has been suggested to me that this is real fantasy land stuff.
"Odd and evens- uses current parachute drop zone.
Zone-a 3km zone around Barwon Heads ALA
Away drop zone-A drop zone established outside the 3km zone
Evens example;
Even Hours-6,8.10,12,14,16,18,
Parachute operations only within the 3km zone
Parachutists must be on the ground befor the odd hour strikes. (PIC responsible to ensure a suitable buffer period available prior to a drop within the zone. Alternatively an away drop zone may be used)
Fixed and rotary wing ops must be on the ground or clear of the 3km zone prior to the even hour striking.
Considerations;
During even hours fixed and rotary wing operators will need to plan operations in advance
FW & RW operators may depart the 3km zone prior to the even hour
In order to facilitate opertations out of zone activities could be upper airwork exercises, navigation exercises or circuits at another location.
Odds example;
Odd Hours - 7,9,11,13,15,17,
Fixed and rotary wing operations only within 3km zone
Parachutists must be on the ground befor the odd hour stikes.
Fixed and rotary wing ops must be on the ground or clear of the zone prior to the even hour striking.
During the odd hours local parachute operators will need to plan operations in advance
In order to facilitate parachute operations aircraft carrying parachutists can depart the zone during fixed wing operations time slots but must not drop any parachutist in the zone. Away drop zones must be established. (Outside 3km from Barwon"

Is CASA for real, they say that McWilliam and Bayly are unwilling and unable to comply with Civil Aviation Regulations and listed in excess of 100 breaches of the regulations.

What have CASA done? Nothing and here they are supporting a chronic rule breaker without penalty and pushing his barrow to get back on the Barwon Heads airfield.

Those in CASA supporting this parachute operation should resign immediately because they are not considering the safety of all aviators.

Keep watching for the next chapter.

VH-Cheer Up
19th Apr 2005, 10:08
This seems to prove that the migration of mandarins from the ATO to CASA is well and truly under way. Only someone familiar with something as complex as our tax legislation could POSSIBLY have come up with such a Byzantine proposal.

I would rather try to decode the Rosetta Stone than attempt to understand this... For me, and I suspect for others, BHA = Permanent No Fly Zone if this scheme goes ahead.

And with all those alleged breaches, isn't there some likelihood of a court case with penalties to be applied if found against the subject? Why, then, would CASA be considering bending over backwards for the same (allegedly) dodgy operator?

Baffling...

VHCU

Onan the Clumsy
19th Apr 2005, 21:46
A passing motorist came in to complain that the aircraft had come in too low (on app to 35) over her car and frightened her. A 'passing motorist' eh? There's a wonderful judge of all things aviation related. I trust if a 'passing motorist' said you flew too close to her house, you would give that observation as much creedence.

Lukeatme
20th Apr 2005, 02:11
John Walters

John surely you jest, if CASA has come up with that crap they too have lost the plot, why will anyone abide by aviation regulations if this miscreant can abuse, ignore and be in contempt of regulations to the extent that he has and be seemingly protected by this insane rendition that has been proposed.

Dancing boy cannot seem to be able to follow regs. at any time so what is this utter crap trying to prove (that Casa can make rules) that will be ignored anyhow. The report earlier said his cohort is now going to be dropping in his own right that sure is good advertising that the dancing boy is at wrong and he thinks he will be able to do it better and safer (me tinks not, leopods do not change spots, only Lucky Luke can change spots to suit himself) I am at a loss to understand why the Airport Owner has not dropped the hammer on his Ops. as he has proved to be unsafe and not following the rules set down in the first place?

As VH- cheer up has said the excess ATO staff may now be trying to be aviation experts ( x=unknown ,spert= drip under pressure old one but true) anyone designed a quadrantal rule for BH flying Ops. sure need one if this comes in hey?

QNIM
21st Apr 2005, 09:44
Gday
From todays Geelong Advertiser and I notice dancing boys reply said nothing about being banned for 28 days by the APF for dropping through cloud again.

Skydiving conflict

Thursday, April 21
REBECCA TUCKER

SKYDIVING has been banned from anywhere near the Barwon Heads Airport.
Australia's aviation watchdog has not ruled out taking the ban further to outlaw Skydive City owner Luke McWilliam from the nation's skies.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman Peter Gibson yesterday said Mr McWilliam's operations would be monitored at other aerodromes.

``As the order stands now, he just can't skydive at Barwon Heads aerodrome,'' Mr Gibson said.

The authority's order precludes any parachute descent within a 4km radius of the Barwon Heads Airport.

It comes after Mr McWilliam late last year successfully won a Federal Court appeal against an earlier skydiving ban against his company after five years of complaints his company had breached safety regulations.

Since 1999 the authority has received more than 90 complaints against Skydive City from pilots, other operators and the community.

Mr McWilliam was last July given a good behaviour bond and ordered to pay Geelong Hospital $10,000 after he pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrate's Court to 20 counts of jumping through cloud illegal under civil aviation regulations.

Mr Gibson said the order would remain until the authority finalised a new mandated procedure for skydivers and other pilots to share the skies.

He said authority officers were this week visiting Barwon Heads airport to negotiate the procedure with airport users.

It could lead to parachutists using the skies at particular times of the day to prevent conflict of use.

Or, Mr Gibson said, the sharing of the skies could be a physical separation.

``If such an order was mandated, it would lift the ban,'' he said.

``This is an attempt by us to try and see if we can find a way to maintain safe operations for everyone who uses the aerodrome.''

Mr McWilliam yesterday said the authority's action was not taken against him or his company, but to ensure all airport users were happy.

Are we happy NOT YET but soon I think.

Safe flying

Cheers Q

pall
21st Apr 2005, 12:17
LUKEATME,

Yeah I was the the submariner who at 40hrs couldn't get it together onto the strip in the C150. As I am sure you know. As a fellow cyclist I was most distressed at my lack of judgement.

Lukeatme
22nd Apr 2005, 04:27
Pall

Honest I did not know who it was just remembered when the other story was told.

Sorry if it did look like I was shooting at you, got an idea that it will happen every time that direction is used and a hot day with A/C performance down because of it, but now it comes back to me (bloody hell memory takes a good jog to use it sometimes hey) sure hope skydivers never have to land in those conditions with the jumpers aboard!!!!

pol
22nd Apr 2005, 22:17
HO HO HO THIS D*CKHEAD HAS TO GO

The Geelong Advertiser Saturday 23-4-05

Ban on sky jumps

Saturday, April 23
Rebecca Tucker

SKYDIVE City has been shut down for one month after the company was found to have breached safety regulations.
The Australian Parachute Federation has added another ban on the already-restricted company and its operator Luke McWilliam.
Australia's aviation watchdog, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, earlier this month banned all parachutists jumping within a 4.8km radius of Barwon Heads Airport.
That ban was imposed after repeated reports of safety breaches.
But the federation's 28-day suspension only affects Skydive City and was made after allegations the company was last weekend jumping through cloud.
The practice is banned under aviation safety regulations.
Federation chief executive officer Graeme Windsor yesterday confirmed the ban.
Mr Windsor said the federation's ruling effectively prevented Mr McWilliam and the company from taking to the skies.
The federation is skydiving's representative body but also has delegated power from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to enforce safety rules.
Authority spokesman Peter Gibson said Mr McWilliam remained under investigation to ensure he did not continue to breach safety regulations.
The authority will consider a further ban on Skydive City if it finds the company does not abide by rules.
The authority first tried to ban the company last year following more than 90 complaints against him since 1999.
Mr McWilliam won a Federal Court appeal against the ban and has been in the skies until this week's suspension.
He was last July given a good behaviour bond and ordered to pay Geelong Hospital $10,000 after he pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates' Court to 20 counts of jumping through cloud illegal under civil aviation regulations.
Mr McWilliam did not return the Geelong Advertiser's calls yesterday.

All I have to add is POL

QNIM
24th Apr 2005, 23:15
Gday POL

Surely CASA will take this up now that the APF has finally woken up YAWN YAWN and laughing boy will find himself back in the Geelong Magistrates Court facing all those charges again.
You are not far wrong with your discription of him.

Cheers Q :confused:

Deaf
25th Apr 2005, 00:08
"Skydiver Dies After Legs Severed in Midair

ASSOCIATED PRESS

DELAND, Fla. (AP) - A skydiving cinematographer was killed after his legs were severed in a midair collision with the airplane he had jumped from, authorities said."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2005/apr/24/042409033.html

Lukeatme
25th Apr 2005, 01:45
Deaf

I do not see the point being from this post as this is not about seeing the death of this poor soul, this area has been about the dangerous acts by the irresponsible operator of this outfit being constant breaches of the LAW and maybe the result that you describe could happen here but no one likes to see an accident.

This forum on the events here are constant worries by this operator creating the atmosphere that a serious accident could happen and he showed his true colours at a different jump zone giving him the 28 day penalty by the APF (perhaps they now see the POINT) he has to be stopped or WAKE UP to his attitude and demeanor.

John Walters
25th Apr 2005, 09:47
Good to see that APF CEO Grumpy Windsor has finally woken up to himself, or has CASA put pressure on, and approved a ban on the dancing boy cash cow. Not before time but only 28 days.

What about all the reports of breaches of regulations I hear about in the last twelve months APF? Are we going to investigate those reports or do you only investigate reports from your own?It looks like the fat man that bayled out has put the boy in and is now going to try and reap the benefits and set up in opposition. Maybe the APF has done a deal with the fat man. You tell us what we want to get rid of the dancing boy and you take over. The boy is causing us to much trouble.

My inside man has told me that CASA has interviewed many at Barwon Heads last week and the opinion is that CASA are representing the dancing boy to drop back on the airport. They refused to discuss slot times as well they should. It would never work but from CASAs side it was worth a try. Give the boy 13 hours a days to operate and the owner of the airfield 6 hours.
That is fair system, but then thats CASA.

CASA heads will have to roll if they let him back on the airfield because they have already stated in writing that the dancing boy and the fat man cannot follow civil aviation regulations.From memory I believe the CASA document I saw also said that there would be a collision between a parachutist and aircraft if parachuting was allowed on the airfield at Barwon Heads.

So can someone explain what CASA are up to. Why are they so determined to get the boy back on the airfield, maybe to tangle with his toy boy.

My man said it was a joy to fly at Barwon Heads this weekend as he did not have to worry about the dirt darts.

Deaf
25th Apr 2005, 10:30
Lukeatme

The point of the post was give a current reference of the consequences for the type of activies referred to. This is what can happen.

Onan the Clumsy
25th Apr 2005, 14:23
Shame on you Deaf for including this link. It has nothing to do with the point you all are supposedly discussing.struck the left wing of the DHC-6 Twin Otter propeller plane at about 600 feet At 600 feet he most certainly would have been under canopy and unless he was already under a reserve, which is not mentioned, he would have been within the grounds of the airport and on approach. As for conditions, it was in Florida.

Refering to the death of this man is a cheap shot and unnecessary. It also has no bearing on any events at Barwon Heads. If you want to draw any conclusion from it, perhaps it should be that aircraft, not skydivers are the ones who should be banned.

Sunfish
25th Apr 2005, 21:55
I'd love to fly down to BH one day to see a few mates. I'm not going anywhere near that place until this is all cleared up completely.

The Nagambie mob seem to do it very professionally, they give plenty of warning and confirm with MEL CEN that there is no observable traffic in the vicinity before they jump. It appears that the BH mob don't do this.

Onan the Clumsy
25th Apr 2005, 22:26
In the US I call Center before jumpers away. I generally do it on the way up and then give 'em a two minute warning. This is at an airfield with a lot of various activities going on including sailplanes, hang gliding, crop spraying and the occasional transient. (to name a few)

To be honest the sailplanes are the worst because very few of them carry a radio and they're not the easiest to see, however I'm not about to ask they get grounded. In fact I went and got a glider cert and found gliding is really a lot of fun

We have a system that works well and everyone gets along with each other.

pall
7th May 2005, 23:02
It is fine to talk about cooperation and all getting along well. We thought that was all you needed at BHS. Now we know differently.

Just remember that you can allways sue just to mke sure the spirit of friendly cooperation is fully dead.

There is nothing like the smell of legal action in the morning to really get a lad dancing!;)

pol
9th May 2005, 08:18
Hi

To all the old Gentlemen at the Geelong Aero Club:p

Have you heard the rumour that the APF have suspended Dancing Boy’s “B RATING”?????:eek:

If true will cause the Boy some grief but would be well deserved:}

One lives in hope:E

pol

John Walters
19th May 2005, 05:47
Hi Pol,

Does this mean without a B Rating the dancing boy has to put the shoes away for the rumored 12 months.

They tell me the fat man is ready to pounce as he has been operating at Swan Hill, Mildura, Horsham just to get away from all the dancing for a while.

Pilots have told me the last few weeks have been great at Barwon Heads as the dancing boy has been all locked up, even to those who booked and confirmed on the morning that if they came down they would jump.

Airport owner copped the abuse from the disappointed people who had already paid and they were directed to his house next door wanting their money back, but the boy wasnt dancing, he was out riding, and without a helmet.

The boy just cannot follow rules.

tealady
22nd May 2005, 04:31
Is this company also now calling itself Australian Skydivers? App-arently this is a "travelling skydiving company that travels from airport to airport - they rang asking about operating from Bacchus Marsh recently. Anyone heard about this company?

pall
23rd May 2005, 23:15
Perhaps it is all getting a little too hard now. Bailing staff, loss of certificate. Unable to meet the needs of the punters.

I have heard that a certain operator at CERES has been going gang busters since the demise of the dancing boy. They are even conducting courses and offering live in weekend accomodation. Sound familiar?

Good luck to them. They cause no grief at Ceres. Not part of a busy GA airfield.

QNIM
31st May 2005, 05:13
Gday
Flew through the area this morning cloud base o/c about 2500' and light showers and not a parachute in sight, things have changed for the better, thanks to which ever organisation shut them down.
Cheers Q

John Walters
8th Jun 2005, 07:10
Message for your QNIM.

My information is that if some Casa people get there way the dancing boy will be tap dancing again next week. surprise surprise Casa has adopted one of the dancing boys proposals they rejected last year as to dangerous.

Yes, all circuits to the east and south and let the boy dance in Barbaras paddock again.To all those Casa saw at BH a couple of months ago, you can all get stuffed and fit into what Casa says our bot wants, you don't count.

I thought Casa was there to make sure safety was the number one priority in airport safety. Not so. Casa should regulate without fear or favor. Not in this case Casa are representing the boy and forcing action on others making a very dangerous airfield.

Casa have some explaning why they are representing a rogue.

pall
8th Jun 2005, 11:23
I have my own theory regarding the latest development. I believe that CASA is seeking to appear that they are helping the dancing boy while urging the APF to take action against him. This way they avoid the risk of litagation while achieving a stronger working aliance with the APF.

In their view it is the APF who should regulate and control the operations of skydiving in accordance with the CASA - APF joint memorandum of understanding.

Am I right? Who will ever know. Does explain somewhat their actions though.

Rocket Rob
15th Jun 2005, 23:57
Believe a meeting was held at the strip with CASA, any good results?

pall
24th Jun 2005, 11:54
A certain CASA official has cocked it up. Has sought to intimidate the airport owner because he cannot UNDERSTAND why she does not want Skydiving on her airfield.

Wants her to show just cause as to why she does not want skydiving on the airport.

Surely this is her business. She owns the airfield and isn't she permitted to say who and what should make use of her privatre ALA?

A flurry of letters have been dispacthed to a range of pundits at CASA.

The question is CASA should show just cause as to why this official should not resign. He has not listened to any of the stakeholders with one exception. A certain dancing boy!

Rocket Rob
29th Jun 2005, 00:15
Why does CASA not let them jump at Avalon ? every bad landing would be would be a sexual experience in that they would be sucked in and given a blow job before exiting the jet pipe at a great speed!! but I jest am trying to figure CASA's logic!! let em jump at full control airports that may show even under the strictest conditions this guy would not/could not obey any type of regulation.

At least I believe they have a travelling safety car that could be deployed to keep em off limits to area's of concern.

Yeah I always thought "My property my Airfield I will have the say who uses it and who doesn't" but some overpaid dinge bat official with his snout in the publics purse always seems to exist somewhere, they are hell bent on destroying Aviation with some of the worst regulations at this very moment in time, the ident issue sure as hell is firing up quite a few pilots lately.

pall
29th Jun 2005, 05:31
The dancing boy is getting ready to dance. Has employed a new office girl and is OPEN FOR BUSINESS! Despite assurances from the APF that he CANNOT OPERATE due to the withdrawal of his B CERTIFICATE until April next year. My understanding is that McWilliam can not in any way operate a skydive business or be associated with samw while B Certificate is suspended.

Windsor has confirmed the NON-OPERATIONAL status of McWilliam verbally but will not put this in writing.

Meanwhile a certain ex jumpmaster has set up at Bridgewater offering SKYDIVING COURSES and is now jumping from TIGERMOTH WORLD on weekends and some week days.

AIRFIELD SCUTTLEBUT is that SKYDIVE OPS at TIGER MOTH WORLD pose no problems for BHA airport users. No safety threat exists from this situation.

Strangely, CASA seems hell bent on establishing OPS at Barwon Heads despite all oposition and explicit lack of support from airport owner.

Airport owner very distressed by CASA official and his insistance about establishing SKYDIVING OPS on the airfield. Official has apologised for causing such distress.

The plot thickens!

Rocket Rob
13th Jul 2005, 07:40
MMM!!!! typical full blast with no worries, me tinks he is a protected species?