PDA

View Full Version : Jerez Pilapt test

GRANTS
8th Dec 2004, 13:05
Hello there,

I tried Ctc Pilapt test and failed.
my multytasking was good (upper third) but my eye-hand function was in the lower one.

I never new that I had such a problem and a check-ride I have done with an ex-military instructor showed I am more than ok.

I am considering my options at the moment and Jerez looks great.

is there any advice you guys can give me before attending thier Pilapt test?
I guess I am just not good at those but I might be great in the air...

thanks in advance,

GRANTS

Ricky1
8th Dec 2004, 14:26
I am also going to Jerez. My pilapt test is next week!! I dont have a clue of what to expect. Ill let you know in a weeks time about the tests. If you get any information though could you plz post it here...
Regards
Ricky

Biscuit
8th Dec 2004, 14:40
I think the selection test with Jerez will go something like this...

Jerez: Have you 90,000 euros ?? (said in a demanding fashion)

Student: Yes I have! (said keenly)

Jerez: Well done young fella, you've passed! (said with a big smile)

GRANTS
8th Dec 2004, 14:57
Ricky, I would appreciate it.
Biscuit, hope you are a panel member over there...

Grants

Ricky1
8th Dec 2004, 14:58
Cheers Biscuit,
:)
any real advise though? They can't be that easy to get into.... They said the tests would consist of 3 written tests and 1 numerical, A PILAPT test and a mock Airline interview? what level of physics and maths will I need?

Ricky

GRIFFIN2000
8th Dec 2004, 15:02
Hey GRANTS and Ricky1, check this one out as well... www.pilotutdanning.no

Ricky1
8th Dec 2004, 15:20
Hey Grants,
Check this web site out www.pilottesting.com
Still it won't be able to tell us what to expect in the written tests or interview.....
Ricky

GRANTS
8th Dec 2004, 15:56
Thats is the test Ctc gives.
I have done it but wasn´t good enough in some fields.
it´s a mind blower as you must stay concentrated for a long time.
I wonder if one can do better on the second time.

Grants

bertie777
8th Dec 2004, 21:35
I just want to get one point straight here.

I got back from Jerez a few weeks ago after passing the apptitude tests. They are not easy, but by no means are they as demanding as the exams you are required to pass for sponsorship.

The PILAPT, you can't prepare for - you either have the ability or you don't - sorry but that is set in stone.

With regards to the money, the only time is was bought up was when me and my friends mentioned it. There is no push and shuv or any sort. If you don't meet the grades on the tests then you wont get in - simple! I don't have the money, and I got in! But I want it, so I will find the money hopefully from HSBC!

Afterall, if they take you on and your not capable of passing then it's both parties that lose! They get a bad reputation and you tell 10 people on average about your experience! Plus you lose 98000 euros if doing the JOC - so whose kidding who!

Just go along, the best of luck! You will meet all the staff who act in the most professional way - if you find it different then by all means come back and say so! Carmen, Mary-Jo and Michael along with Pete who you will have your final debriefing with are all great people.

Beer is cheap, accomodation is fine and the food isnt that bad either! Oh and the weather is the nuts for this time of year :)

Have fun guys and make sure you keep us informed on how you do!

Never know, maybe see you down in Jerez in the new year.

Bertie

michaelknight
9th Dec 2004, 15:24
Think it's 92K. :hmm:

Well I hope the mock interview goes well as it's the only interview you'll get thanks to Jerez :}

MK

GRANTS
9th Dec 2004, 17:59
Hey Bertie,

I have done Ctc´s and from what I saw in Pilapt`s web page they have only one test so it must be the same one in Jerez.
They might accept a lower level of performance though.
do you have your feedback already ar just the positive answer?

How are the other tests like?

thanks in advance,

Grants

bertie777
9th Dec 2004, 22:15
ok the pilapt that jerez have - and im prob gonna get in trouble for saying this.

1. Crosshairs
2. Man with hands, +ve left square etc.
3. Flying through boxes
4. two boxes with loads of lines and shapes to find

Be aware though that there are no complicated counting backwards whilst centering the joystick and selecting coloured shapes to worry about.

I have my feedback and my mark for the PILAPT was 10/10 you will get all the results and details at the debriefing with Pete

Paper maths and physics is OK - not too tricky. There is also a verbal written test which isnt too bad.

The computer tests are a little more tricky. Maths is timed and involves percentages and ratios based on graphs and tables. You will NOT be able to answer all the questions.... i you get half way through you've done bloody well!

The computer literacy, you should get finished - just! with seconds to spare!

Overall its a fun entertaining trip - you'll enjoy every minute!

Hope this helps.

Bertie

with regards to micheals post referring to price, he is correct - 92000 euros is the course price.

BUT

if you wqant the Jet Orientation then it is 98000, upste training is an extra 1500.

Ricky1
10th Dec 2004, 12:09
Hey Bertie777,
Thanks a mill... I will let you know how i get on... Is there any web-site that poses simillar maths questions that you know of? Hope to be training with you next year!
Ricky

bertie777
10th Dec 2004, 18:27
I don't know of any websites but let me just say - you can use a calculator in all the maths exams! :)

Good luck.

concorde002
12th Dec 2004, 05:44
I think a good website worth a try is www.shldirect.com as they are the same stlye of tests used by FTE.

Bertie's decription of the selection is certainly accurate, FTE is well worth a visit, especially as the selection tests are still free until Feb 2005 and the Ryanair flight was only about £50!!

Regards

FireFoxDown
13th Dec 2004, 18:03
Hi all,

I was supposed to be heading down there this week but couldnt sort out the right amount of time off work(hey i need a few days after to "recouperate"!).

Any info on what its like would be really helpful! Also anyone heading down in Jan look at for me!

First Officer Finch
14th Dec 2004, 17:36
I went to do the aptitude tests last month and let me tell you, they were tough. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that they were easy because they certainly were not. I have A-levels in Maths and Physics and I still found them tough. Apparantly now they have more mental capacity and multi tasking tests like CTC.

I was lucky enough to have the old tests but still didn't make it through. They said my interview (which was pretty gruelling!) let me down and that my technical knowledge was poor.

All in all I thought the place was OK but I was a little disappointed with some of the facilities and the aircraft, and the lads seemed a little dejected which made me think it wasn't really worth the money. The people were quite nice though and I had a good trip.

Im going to finalize my modualar route now, which just seems a better route for me especially for the cost. The amount of bullskit they gave me about jobs and stuff just sounded like a load of marketing rubbish, like Oxford, so Im not too bothered. Also, I know for a fact that airlines don't have any preference for integrated graduates so don't let them fool you with that. Good luck if you apply, you'll probably need it, and don't listen to any unresearched, naive comments such as the one made by a certain edible poster earlier on in this thread. Good luck!

FOF:ok:

GRANTS
14th Dec 2004, 17:55
At the moment there is a big chance that I am out of the race...
last friday I was diagnozed to suffer from a chronic eye illness, that although I am holding a british class 1, will make me loosing it in few years.

I am on my way for some second and third opinions...
sad... so sad...

Grants

Reds Blues Greens
14th Dec 2004, 23:24
last friday I was diagnozed to suffer from a chronic eye illness

I am so sorry to hear that. It makes me realise how much I take my good health for granted.

I hope that you will still be able to hold a class two and be able to experience the pleasure of private flying. :D

Ian.

GRANTS
15th Dec 2004, 18:36
I will know more this monday, I have got a meeting with another expert.

thanks man,

Grants

concorde002
16th Dec 2004, 15:38
First Officer Finch

Just a few points I wish to raise with you………

“All in all I thought the place was OK but I was a little disappointed with some of the facilities and the aircraft, and the lads seemed a little dejected which made me think it wasn't really worth the money.”

I’m just curious to why you feel this? I personally felt that the facilities were excellent, or is it that you’re used to living in extreme luxury? The aircraft, exactly the same at any other flight school!

The lads seemed a little dejected?
Well everyone we spoke to was friendly and chatty not one person mentioned any fault or dislike about the college!!
Is anyone in Jerez dejected?

“The amount of bullskit they gave me about jobs and stuff just sounded like a load of marketing rubbish, like Oxford, so I’m not too bothered”

Too be honest most flight schools will give you slightly ‘juiced up’ news on the current and future job scene, however the marketing department, Michael Wallis included, gave honest information based on actual printed/released information from recognised sources. Such information that an individual with brains can easily find out, by simply putting some time and effort into searching the internet and reading flight/aviation orientated publications.

And if you are not bothered to do that…… well good, I hope that someone prepared to put effort into achieving their dream, gets a job over you any day!

So for your other quote of:

“Also, I know for a fact that airlines don't have any preference for integrated graduates so don't let them fool you with that”

hmmm.. BA, Britannia, etc (just to name a few)

and then finally…

“and don't listen to any un-researched, naive comments such as the one made by a certain edible poster earlier on in this thread”

Would you be so kind as to mention who this person might be?

Regards

GRANTS: sorry to hear about the eye problem, wish you all the best on Monday. I've got my medical tomorrow, so i'm hoping for no problems!!!

First Officer Finch
16th Dec 2004, 16:45
Concorde002,

To some of your rather petty comments I shall not lower myself by replying and will therefore retain my dignity.

OK, where do I start. BA, Brittania..... and who else? I would rather not give much of my hard research away for 3rd party benefit, but I can assure you that I know for certain that most airlines really do not care. Besides, BA, Brittania and the like only make up a very small percentage of the industry. There are many many other airlines apart from the mainstream ones that do exist and that have reasonably sized fleets you know.

Only very few cadets will be extremely lucky enough to walk straight into an airline job. The vast majority will have to work their way up through turbo props and small jets, whether integrated or not.

It made me laugh when you mentioned research. If only you knew...

One of the main reasons for this website is to express freely ones opinion and thoughts, which I did. What I wrote was merely my opinion based on my experience. Maybe you didn't chat to the same people that I did, obviously you didn't get the same impression that I did, but in all honesty who cares? Maybe I am used to only the best which is why Im doing what Im doing and which is why I am where I am. ;) Flying is great, and I just wish there wasn't so much rubbish on these forums which all too often puts a downer on my views about this idea.

One should really be careful as to who one is talking to before making ignorant assumptions. Before posting your thread, Im sure you were unaware that I graduated from a rather respectable university with a 1st class (oof yep it hurts) degree in economics and MARKETING. I worked for a big company in the Marketing world for a few years, so let me tell you, I know what its all about. And I know that what I heard from all these places was a load of sh*te. They are good at their job and obviously managed to woo you quite easily.

So Ill say again, don't be fooled by that bulish*t.

Have a nice day,

My most sincere regards,

FOF

concorde002
16th Dec 2004, 17:23
Based on this reply, I’m so sorry to be so rude and arrogant to such a fantastic know it all snotty little git!!

"Maybe I am used to only the best which is why Im doing what I’m doing and which is why I am where I am"

What a tosser! Get in real world!! I can see why Jerez failed you!! An individual with a chip on his shoulder, the size of yours would make you the most unpleasant person to be with, either on a flight deck or down the pub!!

"Flying is great, and I just wish there wasn't so much rubbish on these forums which all too often puts a downer on my views about this idea"

So you are really committed to the idea of being a pilot then? A few written words on a forum website and you have doubts!!

"One should really be careful as to who one is talking to before making ignorant assumptions. Before posting your thread, I’m sure you were unaware that I graduated from a rather respectable university with a 1st class (oof yep it hurts) degree in economics" blah blah blah who cares!!??? (Anyone??)

Go and use this fantastic degree and do a marketing job then!!
Which uni out of interest?
(I ask this in reference to your previous thread "certain edible poster" so you like eating posters, good use of English, Mr I've got a 1st degree!!!)

"obviously managed to woo you quite easily"
Yes................... they took me to the isolation cell for 3 days, fed me bread and water until I agreed to attend FTE!!

I can assure you that I haven't been fooled by there Bullskit.
My aspirations of becoming an airline pilot are serious, and I feel proud of my achievement, in being able to attend one of the better flight schools able to offer me the opportunity of achieving this dream!! I’m pleased I won’t see you there!!

Regards

FlyUK
16th Dec 2004, 17:45
This convo makes me laugh.

"Maybe I am used to only the best which is why Im doing what I’m doing and which is why I am where I am"

Definately wins the quote of the year award! Must remember that one.

"The lads seemed a little dejected?" - well i have been called a lot of things before but never dejected. Can i ask why you thought that?

One last thing, for those who are under the impression that the entrance interview is easy and you get in if you have the money...Well i know at least 4 people who have not passed in the last month. So please get your facts right before you go slagging off integrated courses or just jerez for that matter.

Edited cos i'm a muppet.

bertie777
16th Dec 2004, 19:11
so who may this yummy poster be then **** break (finch) ????

benhurr
17th Dec 2004, 00:09
So have any students of Jerez ever landed on grass as part of their fantastic integrated course?

Kind of limiting don't you think if you wanted to instruct in the UK?

How many airfields did you visit during you most wonderful course? Seville? Faro? and......

Who has their head up their arse do you reckon FlyUk and your like?

And yes I was accepted onto the course - when it was BAE and out of approx 120 students, I know of only one who did any sort of apptitude test. The rest bought it.

And the conversation makes you laugh?

Ask the last Airtours sponsored course about Integrated training and learn something about the real world.

FlyUK
17th Dec 2004, 06:41
I'm not looking to start an argument over another petty 'prove integrated is better' type of debate. All i want to say is that it is pretty sad that all people can do is argue everything that is said on these forums. If you don't like it then fine, no one says you do. But why do you (not anyone in specific) have to try to draw the topic down?

"Who has their head up their arse do you reckon FlyUk and your like?" - An unfair and un called for comment.

"when it was BAE" - It hasn't been BAE for over a year now. Aptitiude testing has changed since then.

Those who are genuinely intrested in FTE, Jerez then by all means get in touch, or if there is enough intrest i may write a small post about my thoughts and the reality of FTE.

First Officer Finch
17th Dec 2004, 12:04
Hee hee hee! I just love Pprune. Keep 'em coming chaps.

Just to clear something up, obviously some people have trouble understanding simple clues...

...edible poster.

Now someone has a name/handle on this thread which you can eat (the word edible means one can eat it children). Come on, its not so hard.

Look back through the posts on this thread and find the edible name.

Was it so hard?

Any of you thinking of entering a treasure hunt should maybe give it a miss.

Biscuit
17th Dec 2004, 12:17
I think our new friend FOF is referring to myself.

Biscuit

FireFoxDown
7th Feb 2005, 22:45
Hope no-one minds me resurrecting dead posts but . . .

So how did you guys that went down there find it in the end? I'd planned to go in Jan but work committments got in the way - so im hopeing to organise my Class One shortly and then after that head down - I was looking at down the GAPAN tests and then just visiting the school(i.e. not down the interviews and pilapt tests etc.) as I thought it would be an advantage to have the GAPAn as a seperate thing - i.e. all going well at the end of my 60 weeks i could put the GAPAN result(if it was good) on my cv in *addittion* to my ATPL scores etc. . . .Now im not too sure.

Hey Grants, hope you got good news! :ok:

GRANTS
7th Feb 2005, 22:53
Hi there,

I am going to commence my training in Jerez in the 21th of Feb.
all went well, my medical stuff and the admission to Jerez.

thanks for asking.

Grants

lscajp
8th Feb 2005, 01:50
grants,

I read your medical issue post with interest. On a two fold approach. Firstly, the lack of people asking how it all went was shocking. Glad it all is sorted. I know a few peeps there now, they're loving it. Plus the banter we all got from that idiot "Biscuit".

I got annoyed by his "if you got 90,000 euros" then its an ok course..... comment. He OBVIOUSLY can't afford it, his dream.

Tosser..

Charlie

FireFoxDown
8th Feb 2005, 05:02
Anyway, let's not return this thread to its former undignified state! :ok:

Glad to hear all is well Grants - any tips for the selection process?

Hope to see you there in the next few months! :)

GRANTS
8th Feb 2005, 10:00
Thanks guys,

about the selection process,
paper tests:
I can tell you that I am far from being a natural mathematician and I have done well.
they provide you with a calculator, make you sure you know it's functions before the test starts, you don't want to loose time on it ("6 in the power of...**** where is this damn thing?!").
I am not a natural English speaker and I passed the verbal reasoning, so just be quick and focused and you'll be fine.

Pilapt test:
be concentrated, take your time, you are on your own in the class room, no competition feeling like in Ctc's.
set your Joystick where you want it and enjoy they game...

interview:
I had it with a senior instructor, an ex-military pilot, and he was the nicest man.
he doesn't play around, nor hiding an tricking questions.
just be yourself.
he will give you a problem to solve in 10 minutes, just do your work, he will be looking at you to see that you don't freak out under some time pressure.
there is no "one answer".

my advise:
take the two days accommodation they offer and split the test between the two.
sleep well, eat well, be yourself in the interview.
meet the guys at the bar, but don't drink too heavy - stay focused.

that's all about it.
for any further information - shoot.

Grants

African Drunk
8th Feb 2005, 19:27
As I understand aviation all schools have pre-selection. The size of your wallet. I have not yet heard of a course that was pre selected not being full but prehaps I have been in aviation too long and am getting cynical.

FlyUK
8th Feb 2005, 19:37
but prehaps I have been in aviation too long and am getting cynical. - Possibly ;)

Although we have recently had courses start with less than full classes becasue people have 'not reached the required standard'. Yes i go to Jerez, yes maybe i am a little biased, but i'm sure it happens at other pre-selection schools aswell. The schools can not afford to just allow anyone with the money in as they want to keep the standard of students that they train high, so that they can get jobs at the end of it all.

FireFoxDown
8th Feb 2005, 20:16
Hey Grants,

Thanks for the heads up! Im not looking for tricks on how to pass or anything like that - its just always nice to have an idea what to *expect* when you go into a situation! :ok: Thanks!

FlyUK - you enjoying it as much as you thought you would? Any unforeseen bad points? :)

GRANTS
8th Feb 2005, 20:25
sure mate, look for me at the bar...

FlyUK
8th Feb 2005, 20:30
you enjoying it as much as you thought you would? Any unforeseen bad points
Truthfully, i am really enjoying the course. Its not 100% perfect though, but where is? The weather is amazing but not always great for flying, eg. out of crosswind limits because some bright spark decided to build the runway exactly 90 degrees to the prevailing winds! Food is not always, well, how do i put it...what you might expect. But it certainly beats cooking for yourself in the evening when all you want to do is sit in front of the tv with a beer (or sit in your room and do some more work becasue your a machine who just has to know everything the manual has to say). :8
But thats about all i can snag the place on. Brilliant instructors, brilliant area, great equipment....But you do pay for it. Personally i think its worth the money, some may disagree, thats up to you to decide. :ok:

FireFoxDown
8th Feb 2005, 21:18
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up guys! Definately expect to see me there in the next couple of months. I suppose with the rwy at right angles to the prevailing wind you get plenty of practice on xwind techniques! :cool:

fastjet2k
8th Feb 2005, 22:52
Gotta agree with all thats said about FTE Jerez. The place is quality and the instructors top notch. Food could be improved slightly, but that's a fairly common grumble (and let's face it, it's always going to be tough to please everybody anyway)- the rest of the place more than makes up for it though.

GRANTS, met you in the bar last week (albeit briefly!). I'll reintroduce myself when you get yourself down here next week.

FireFoxDown - you'll be making a good choice coming down here, the atmosphere is great, the weather equally great (apart from one recent thunderstorm!) and the bar..... oh, the bar..... how cheap does it want to be???!!!

See y'all soon

FJ2k

GRANTS
8th Feb 2005, 22:59
are you sponsored?
seeya soon.

Reds Blues Greens
9th Feb 2005, 10:50
Hi,

I went to FTE and I have to say that overall I had top-notch time!

One of the biggest plus points apart from all the facilities and great aircraft is living out in Espana itself. Socialising out there is just fantastic. Spanish people really know how to have a good night and it all usually kicks off at Happy Hour on Friday (very cheap)!

I know a few people that regularly head back to Jerez once a year (usually around the time of La Ferria, which is amazing) just to visit.

It is a truly foreign experience when you are off the base, so of course it is not for everyone, but I consider it quite a pull factor.

I am thinking about coming out at the end of February as I am not sure whether I can make it to La Ferria. See you all at the bar!

RBG

Tha Aviata
10th Feb 2005, 09:36
Hey there Guys, :D

What can I say, Its been quite an adventure roaming these Forums / threads over the past week.

I myself am looking to visit Jerez in a few weeks time. Guess i'll see you there?!? Who knows.

I'd just like to express gratitude to those who have entertained me and to those who have educated me on this forum.

CHEERS FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

Blinkz
26th Feb 2005, 10:46
They give you a calculator in the maths test???? Is that even a test of maths? :confused:

Congrats to those who've passed tho.

Angels One Fife
27th Feb 2005, 22:47
To fail the tests here would and still not be trained here is almost unheard of. Thats the fact. Anyone who tries to omply that they are a boy genius by being "accepted" is just pulling your plonker.

99% of folks who start the course finish it. It all depends on how big your wallet is and how much you end up in debt at the end. The average student overflys the course syllabus and therefore pays more.

FireFoxDown
1st Mar 2005, 14:22
Angels One Fife,

You say the majority of students need to extend their required hours on the course to complete it . . . is that because the course does not include an adequate amount of hours or is that the pressure to complete the course in this time frame is unrealistic?

Appreciate any input! :ok:

alberto86
6th Nov 2005, 20:30
hi guys,
I've been browsing through previous posts about PILAPT in jerez, looked for some informations, but with no result.
Can somebody tell me (maybe some FTE student) what's the PILAPT all about?
I mean, what kind of questions/subjects are involved? thank you =)

Mattd
7th Nov 2005, 17:57
I sent you a long PM about this ages ago (from your old thread), did you not get it?

alberto86
7th Nov 2005, 19:45
I'm sorry but I have not received anything :confused:

you can try to send again your message to: [email protected]

anyway, any other responses will be appreciated :)

2FoxtrotEcho
25th Mar 2006, 19:41
Hi I Realise this thread has not been used in a wee while and i have read it all a few times now and am still in need of some answers and was wondering if anyone out there would still be able to help me.

Im off to Jerez on the 4th April for the Interview, and PILAPT test etc and i have been practicing some online Verbal and numerical reasoining aptitude tests as advised by the careers people at university but i am still wondering what else would be valuable preparation to do before i get there. Any Help or advice would be Very Much Appreciated.

Thanks

2FE :D

welliewanger
29th Mar 2006, 09:48
I'll be going down about a wek later. Please keep us up to date with how it all goes. Maybe I'll see you on the course (looks like I'll be on the may or june course)

2FoxtrotEcho
8th Apr 2006, 10:11
WoW!...

I think that that place is amazing, when i went i was there for three nights, so on the first day we recieved the guided tour of the whole place now in my opinion when i say amazing im understating it!

Later on that day sat the PILAPT which wasnt as bad as was expecting then that was me

next day sat the written tests and had the interview all went well and now all that i have to get done is the class 1 medical which looks like it has gone up in cost AGAIN!!!!!!!!

****Shakes Head****

Well thats it from me at the moment, Let us know how you get on when your down to visit in Jerez, Best of Luck

2FoxtrotEcho :D

sicky
8th Apr 2006, 17:24
What sort of thing was in the tests and interviews?

2FoxtrotEcho
9th Apr 2006, 07:09
the tests were,

basic numeracy
harder numeracy deliberatly hard
verbal reasoning - deliberatly hard also

interview was a similar style to the kind u get for airlines

simonc15
9th Apr 2006, 16:06
I went to jerez a few months ago and thought the place great
The writen tests are multiple choice
the simple math is meant to be passed - arithmetic
hard math is problems such as physics and q's like it takes 10 painters 10 days to paint 5 houses how many painters does it take to paint 15 houses in 5 days
(I made that question up ,no q's involve painters or paint but you get the picture)
Verbal reasoning i would describe as logic

doing iq test like on e-mode/tikkle.com might give you an idea but are not as hard

for the computer tests
1.hand eye cooradination
2.spatial reasoning
3.finding shapes in boxes full of lines
4.flighing a crosshair trough squares
for the hand eye coordination you use a joystick and the y axis is inverted
if you play computer games invert the y axis becouse i think this might have been a problem for me being so used to noninverted
also im told the hand eyecoordination is the most one people flail on.
I passed on my second attempt.

good look

ps the sausages for breakfast were disgusting, but dont let me put you off going ther:ok:

sicky
9th Apr 2006, 17:11
the tests were,

basic numeracy
harder numeracy deliberatly hard
verbal reasoning - deliberatly hard also

interview was a similar style to the kind u get for airlines

Can you expand on that please? I've had no interviews as of yet so have no idea what to expect.

Simon - great help, thanks. I'm really considering FTE seriousley now after some long hard thought lol

Aerospace101
9th Apr 2006, 17:53
FTE Interview,

First Part: 'Tell me about yourself'.... (talk about achievements, where your interests in aviation came from, teamworking, evidence of leadership...)

Second Part: Airline Ops Problem. They throw in during the middle of the interview a short problem (u get 10 mins onm your own to figure it out). Its like you have 2 aircraft, one goes U/S, you have to work out quickest/cheapest way to get some pax from A to B. Then they quiz you on it; why did you chose that....? what happened if this changed....?

Third Part: 'what you know about industry & what you want to do' so do you know what you will do at FTE? where do you see yourself in 10 years...?

sicky
10th Apr 2006, 23:38
thanks Aerospace, that's a great help :)

Stumpyotoole
13th Apr 2006, 23:03
Simonc15,

Hi there, good informative post reference the tests. Can you please confirm the below.

1) Joystick pushed forward, horizontal cross hair lowers (i.e. nose of aircraft)

...or...

2) Joystick pushed forward, horizontal cross hair raises (i.e. flying an ILS)

Would be greatful if you could confirm this for me.

Many thanks,

Stumpyotoole.:)

sicky
14th Apr 2006, 01:45
it will be like ILS, where if you push forwards, the horizontal line rises, as if the nose of the aircraft has gone down

welliewanger
19th Apr 2006, 16:35
Very nice looking place, very helpful staff. Simulators are very well kept (compared to the modular schools I've seen) The whole place really feels geared towards training (and so it should!)

Tests have already been discussed, so I won't give anything more away... you'll have to wait and see... :E

Interview felt more like a chat about why I want to fly, what I've done with my life so far etc. Fortunately I've done quite a bit of "extra stuff" like Duke of Edinburgh's award and TA, so they liked that a lot!

Everyone there seemed happy with the courses they were doing. I spent quite a bit of time with some modular students who recommended doing integrated!

Instructors were of the "I've been doing this so long I've seen it all before but don't brag about it" variety. I sat in with some people doing IR sim stuff and the instructor was very professional and highly capable.

There were three other candidates there:
-One failed the English language test (and consequently the English comprehension and maths comprehension tests)
-One failed the maths test
-One passed everything but was warned that his Pilapt tests suggested he may have to invest in more than minimum flying time.
-And then there was me. I passed all the tests, so I'm going on the course on 22nd May

So, that's a 50% pass rate and of that 50%, 50% accepted.

Oh yes, and simonc15 is right about the sausages, they're terrible!

simonc15
19th Apr 2006, 23:35
The hand eye cooradination it is is a cross on screen and you have to keep it in line with an other cross on screen but the cross you control moves without your imput and you have to counteract the movement with the joystick and keep it centred with the immoblile one.
if you push the joystick left the cross goes left and if you pull the joystick backwards(down) the the cross goes up
for flying through squares its like an aircraft:)

hope that clear things up

Stumpyotoole
20th Apr 2006, 15:01
Now I am really confused!! :confused: :{
sicky and simonc15... you guys have completely contadicted each other with regards to the contol inputs in the test!:}
Can anyone actually confirm the controls of the test?:ugh:
thanks
stumpy:hmm:

sicky
21st Apr 2006, 00:18
Basically it's like flying a normal plane, if u push up, the horizontal bar will go down, and if u pull the stick back towards you, the horizontal bar will go up

simonc15
21st Apr 2006, 18:58
i agree with sickys last post
if you were flying a aircraft the horizontal bar would be the horizon

Stumpyotoole
21st Apr 2006, 20:10
Hi Simonc15
Still a contradiction going on here!:{
sicky says that if you push stick forward... horizontal line goes down (like nose of a plane)
but if like you said, it represents the horizon, when you push stick forward, horizon line moves up (as nose of aircraft drops)
still lost on this one, just got cockpit-web test and want to know if on crosshairs test the y-axis matches the real pilapt test or if the y-axis is inverted. :ugh:
help:(
stumpy

Superpilot
21st Apr 2006, 20:57
stumpy,

I am 100% sure the cockpitweb test does not resemble the real PILAPT cross-bar test. The PILAPT one is joystick back (or down if looking from top) to move the bar up. I've had two goes so I should know. In fact I've asked them (cockpitweb) to consider changing it and they have acknowledged my feedback. Best you don't use the cockpitweb test for that particular exercise or you will do worse than you would had you not prepared for it. Also, relax it's not as difficult as you think.

Hope this helps.

sicky
21st Apr 2006, 21:01
If you're still getting confused, i suggest just going to the tests and seeing for yourself as it's pointless us going on and on about this!

It really is simple

simonc15
21st Apr 2006, 21:43
the horizontal bar does not represent the horizon
down is up and up is down and im going to stop writing about it becouse im confusing myself:confused:

JustAnotherVictim
22nd Apr 2006, 09:12
Guys, I'm with sicky on this. Do you want them to wipe your backside too while you are out there?

Sorry to sound harsh, but the whole idea of these tests is that you go in with no practice whatsoever and if you do have the ability then you shouldn't have any problems.

simonc15
22nd Apr 2006, 15:11
Apparently it does not matter on the hand eye coordination test if you had practise allready, physchologists say you could be flying for hours and the test results will not improve, you ether have it or you dont.

Gavin_Wallace
1st May 2006, 23:30
Guys, I've not long sat this.

Best bit of advice I can give is just to move the joystick in the direction of the crosshair, if it moves towards the top left, move the stick forward and left. It's probably more of a disadvantage to those who've flown before.

I'm going to put a detailed post up here v shortly which will hopefully explain a bit more about the whole thing and Jerez.

It's nothing to worry about, you get better by the 3rd time you do it and that's what they're looking for.

Gavin

SM2006
7th May 2006, 15:17
Hi Guys,

I have just read through all the previous comments posted and want to say thanks, all have been really helpful.:)

Im planning to head over to Jerez to sit the aptitude tests in the next month but I had one main concern.....In the brochure it suggests a pre-course study which consists of a number of topics to be covered most of which can be found in AC Kermode's Mechanics of Flight.
Having little or no flying experience I bought this book and proceeded to read through the first few chapters, all of which were slightly complicated to say the least...:confused:

I was just wondering would anybody know if you are expected to know all or any of this stuff for the interview and did anybody else study this material before they headed over for their aptitude tests?

Any other advice on anything worth studying or reading over beforehand would be much appreciated!!

Cheers!!

cavortingcheetah
7th May 2006, 16:35
:yuk: 'Mechanics of Flight'.
It's so simple it's quite confusing.

I have always had a sneaky suspicion that he wrote this in order to justify the construction of complex airborne machines by the British aviation industry when it really had nothing more than the theoretical technology upon which to base its forays into actual aircraft design and construction.

By the same author and rather even easier on the little grey cells is:

'Flight without Formulae'

It is readily available on the net wave.

I suggest you dip into a second hand copy of that. It used to be available in paperback and is actually relatively readable in a sort of Bernoullian way. Much more fun actually than its big daddy, rather like 'War and Peace' with the rather boring peace bits excised from the tome.;)

Gavin_Wallace
8th May 2006, 08:55
I Bought the "Mechanics of Flight" also. Please do not worry. None of the written tests involve anything anywhere near as complex as this and also I've been told that the ATPL exams don't either...

Gavin

Big Frank
8th May 2006, 10:04
I'm off to Jerez as well pretty shortly ( next week! ) to sit the aptitude tests. I've mainly been trying to swot up on my Maths & Physics, which unfortunately can only be described as ropey at best!
Anybody else in the same boat? What are you concentrating on?
Cheers,

Frank

jen248
8th May 2006, 13:20
Hey guys

After reading the previous posts I thought id add something about my experience at Jerez. I went last week to do the aptitude tests and loved it. In my opinion, the choice of FTOs between OAT and FTE is a question of location rather than quality as they are just as good as each other. The PILAPT tests at Jerez are fine as long as you concentrate. The verbal reasoning was harder than I thought it would be but maybe thats just me. Being 17 yrs old, my only downfall was lack of life experience but if I can do it then theres no reason why others can’t.
My advice is spend time looking around and talking to the students as they are the ones who know what your going through.
Good luck and enjoy it,

Jen248

2FoxtrotEcho
9th May 2006, 10:39
I wouldnt get too hung up on getting books etc for the aptitude tests
alrite i have done some flying befor i went down but i didnt need it.
previous flyin can put u at a dissadvantage on some tests and an advantage on othere so it all works out nicely

so when you go chill take a deep breath and be yourself the only preperation i did was

some practice aptitude tests online that were way harder than jerez's look here for some http://www.shl.com/SHL/en-int/Products/TestTrials.htm
they are free ia also tried pilapt-prep.co.uk sadly to say the biggest waste of 25quid in my opinion sorry to anyone who swears buy it

2FoxtrotExho

PS - Is anyone starting on the may 22nd course??

Gavin_Wallace
9th May 2006, 10:44
I'm there on the 22nd of May, setting off from Aberdeen on Monday and driving all the way there....

Anyone else?

Gav

welliewanger
10th May 2006, 10:05
Hi Gavin,
Yep, I'll be there on 22nd. Carmen gave me your email addy, so I'm about to email you.

rkolomiychenko
15th Jul 2006, 23:06
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone is going to Jerez to sit PILAPT tests on 1st of August. That's when I will be there. I will have to be taking English exam, as it isn't my first language. Is there anyone, who had to take this exam also? Don't know what to expect from it. I sat and successfully passed all the selection exams for OAT last year, but was unable to get funds from HSBC, so now hoping to try my luck with FTE. Never had to take English exam at OAT though. If there is anyone of you who recently sat the PILAPT tests, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I read in one of the 'loan' threads, that Spanish banks are not very good when it comes to lending money. Any comments on that?

Thanks