PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Wake

Cuddles
9th Jan 2002, 15:04
And I quote

Hazardous wake vortices begin to be generated by fixed wing aircraft when the nosewheel lifts off the runway on takeoff and continue until the nosewheel toughes down on landing

MATS 1 1-22

So with reference to the above, does this mean that large taildraggers and floatplanes etc (DC3, Short Sunderland for instance) either generate no vortex wake at all, or generate it continuously, even when at a standstill?

:)

[ 09 January 2002: Message edited by: Cuddles ]</p>

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Jan 2002, 17:24
Is there an answer? There's certainly a question - where in the world is there going to be smaller traffic, or ANY traffic, following a Short Sunderland?

Odi
9th Jan 2002, 21:15
Cuddles, bored are we? :) :)

Gonzo
9th Jan 2002, 23:38
You never know, Kermit Weekes may get his airworthy again! That would be a sight to see.

Gonzo.

Cuddles
10th Jan 2002, 00:01
HD - purely hypothetical (or should that be pathetic?)

Practice ILS approaches? A but of fun with the approach speeds as well methinks!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jan 2002, 12:11
Cuddles. Well it's ben a while since I had any practice popping a Dak behind a Jumbo... but the last one survived. I was the Air Arrivals man the day the Sandringham did a fly-past down 09L. The only vortex problems were probaly experienced by cars on the M4 - when he did the left turn out he stayed at ground level!!! Must have been a hell of a sight.

henry crun
11th Jan 2002, 13:51
This talk of Sunderlands reminds me of a story I read a long time back, I think it was when Kermit Weeke's aircraft was being delivered.

It was mid atlantic and unable to raise any ground station to pass a routine position report. A nearby high flyer offered to relay for it, and this was gratefully accepted.

The high flyer copied most of the message but said
"we got all of that except we only got 500ft for the altitude, say again the number before 500"

The Sunderland replied " that is correct, our altitude IS 500ft"

There was a stunned silence and then the high flyer came back " caught any fish ?"