PDA

View Full Version : RAF aptitudes

Glenn85
1st Dec 2004, 15:58
hi i was wondering if you could give me any input as i have untill friday to make a desision. I am at leeds university partaking in aviation with pilot studies. I recently applied to the RAF and was at OASC all weekend i was informed that i missed out by 3 marks for pilot but could join the University Air Squadron as any ground branch. I am now wondering if i join the UAS as a ground branch will this give me any advantage after university in joining the RAF as pilot/navigator. I can also resit the aptitude tests after Uni not sure what to do? any input would be most appreciated
Glenn

rivetjoint
1st Dec 2004, 16:17
Learn to write in English properly if you want to become an officer!

Si Clik
1st Dec 2004, 16:23
Join the Navy!

RAF aptitude scores are presently artificially high due to low requirement.

RN needs lots of good people to fly.

:cool:

pre3mhjt
1st Dec 2004, 16:32
Rivetjoint,

The aim of these forums, as has been said many times, is to help those with honest questions. They would be a much nicer place to use for that purpose if people like you would stop making nasty, pointless comments. Remarks like that do nothing but discourage people from posting their own questions. I could understand exactly what Glenn was trying to say...even if he did seem slightly rushed. It certainly didn't warrent your response imho.

Pre3mhjt

semisonic
1st Dec 2004, 16:57
how can RAF aptitudes be artificially high if they're the same tests as RN??

You can take aptitude tests twice. If you pass neither time, thats game over. But if you pass first time, you normally do better second time!

I recently did the aptitudes at OASC and am anxiously waiting that envelope....

Flik Roll
1st Dec 2004, 17:33
You can apply to join the UAS as a pilot having failed aptitudes. I have failed twice and am on a UAS as a pilot. (by 2 marks). It is up to the discretion of the UAS OC whether he takes you or not.

If you pass FHT at the end, that counts as an aptitude pass. I know a few people who have got in that way. I was told to join the UAS as a pilot by the officer who debriefed me on my aptitudes at Cranditz.

Si Clik
1st Dec 2004, 18:20
Just to clarify,

To get through the aptitude tests at OASC the mark is artificially high.

Low recruit targets = high pass mark and vice versa

We all select from the top mark down.

Age is a filter too?

:hmm:

Pontius Navigator
1st Dec 2004, 18:26
Pre3mhjt agree but there comes a point when txt spk Bcoms trying.

Certainly bad form to shoot at the first post. Does anyone remember that idjuit that called all of us idiots and called it the Raff?

I think RJs point was valid just a bit abrupt but then aren't we all from time to time.

PPRuNeUser0172
1st Dec 2004, 18:30
Rivetjoint wind your neck in. Is that the only constructive bit of advice you can offer? Must be hard work being perfect.

Original poster,

You can resit them and people do sometimes pass aptitudes on their second sitting so I wouldn't worry too much. Joining the UAS would definitely be a good idea if you are interested in a career in the RAF. You might find you do better at OASC next time if you have had some exposure to what the service has to offer. Also there will be a lot of help available with your application and report from the Sqn staff.

You can also help yourself with aptitude tests by nailing things like speed/distance/time type equations as this will save up some capacity for other parts of the test. After saying that, there are parts you cant really improve like the hand/eye stuff as this measures innate ability.

Good luck

DS

semisonic
1st Dec 2004, 19:11
si clik...so do you have idea what sort of score is competitive now for the RAF??

I need to compare scores....

Training Risky
1st Dec 2004, 20:38
aviation with pilot studies

Is that a real degree course?;) :E

Si Clik
2nd Dec 2004, 12:25
Semisonic,

All I know is that they are higher than ours.

OASC don't tend to give that info out.

airborne_artist
2nd Dec 2004, 12:28
aviation with pilot studies

Is that a real degree course?

Far more use than meeja studies, IMHO

Canary Boy
2nd Dec 2004, 15:31
RivetJoint

Not been involved with many Cranditz graduates recently then???

Can't say that I've noticed any skills in written/spoken English or, indeed, any ability to count without a calculator or the advertised number of digits!

:*

PPRuNeUser0172
2nd Dec 2004, 16:05
Rather sweeping statement dont you think Canary Boy? Granted there are people who arent perfect at grammar/oral comms etc but to make a rash generalisation about all recent Cranwell Graduates being illiterate is a little difficult to believe.

At the risk of offending you, you sound like a condescending @rse

Canary Boy
2nd Dec 2004, 22:13
Dirty S

Not offended at all, and not condescending either (purely factual)!

I deal with Cranditz graduates as part of my daily grind, and have for many years. The general standard is not what it was. To see some trying to wrestle with simple mental arithmetic using fingers is quite alarming. Especially when fundamental numerical skills are central to the flight safety we are trying to teach...

At the risk offending you, you sound like an out of touch @rse!

:*

PPRuNeUser0172
3rd Dec 2004, 14:24
I can assure you I am not out of touch having probably graduated Cranwell a lot more recently than you old bean. Merely found your comment a little bit sweeping, when I look around at my contemporaries who graduated with me, I see some pretty articulate and numerate individuals, but then again we are aircrew so maybe the problem is exclusive to you ground types...................;)

Regards

DS

Canary Boy
5th Dec 2004, 18:03
:\

Dirty S

Doh! Of course, you're absolutely right:

a. I don't remember when I graduated from Cranditz.
b. We ground types are immeasurably inferior to anyone of the 2-wing master race.
c. The Airforce would run much more smoothly if it were ruled by senior members of the aircrew fraternity.....

CB:ok:

ZH875
5th Dec 2004, 18:14
And these are Officers, Cranwell's Best, supposedly the Creme de la creme, more like Yoghourt.

Come on guys, grow up, we underlings are supposed to look up to people like yourselves, Stop making yourselves look like children.

No wonder the RAF is in such a mess, if the likes of you two become our leaders.

Carnage
7th Dec 2004, 15:35
Referring back to the original question,

I agree with DS, mental arithmetic practice really helped me out. I initially failed the tests badly due to being a member of the calculator generation, a bit of graft with some mental sums and i became "competitive". Now aviating in one of Her Majesty's finest.:D

buoy15
7th Dec 2004, 16:56
CARNAGE

Well done mate, you qualified the thread

Practice should be with an "s"

First person singular is a capital "I"

Competitive is missing an "e"

Just as well they don't look at spelling during maths calculations: could be a lot of "rong" answers

Best of luck with your Service Writing and ISS or whatever they call it now

Love many, Trust a few, Always paddle your own canoe:ok:

Carnage
7th Dec 2004, 17:01
Ouch... i'm onli knew:O

PPRuNeUser0172
7th Dec 2004, 17:02
Give him a break Bouy, he only has little hands.

Stick in there Carnage;)

buoy15
7th Dec 2004, 17:26
Ow Kay!

Eazing Off!

A language, spelling, and mental arithmetic exercise

Answer this one

What is French for Swasson Nerf?

No? Ow Kay!

What's the square root of 69?

Answers pleeze, but not to a decimal point!

Love many, Trust a few, Always paddle you own canoe:ok:

joe2812
9th Dec 2004, 11:25
Not to a decimal point?

Between 8 and 9 then! :E

Although closer to 8 than 9.

buoy15
9th Dec 2004, 13:10
Yeh

It's supposed to be one of those withing 5 seconds funnies

Pause for response and then say "8 something!"

joe2812
9th Dec 2004, 16:00
Pause...

8... something?

AlphaSierra
13th Dec 2004, 10:01
Should I be confused?

If I recall there was a question about joining UAS as a GB. My advice is DO IT! The ground branch have the oportunity to sit around and do very little, whilst endulging in the good food/drink and social activities that come along with life as an Off Cdt.

But there is more...

GBs' can make use of this spare time by doing something really worthwhile - proving their officer qualities. Get in there, organise and arrange things, get involved in everything you possibly can. Learn lots and pass what you learn to those who do simply sit around. Go on station visits. Liase with serving personel. Jump on the back of a Tristar and go swimming in the bathwater that is the equatorial Atlantic (The wildlife around Ascension is stunning - watch out for those trigger fish - they like cheesy feet).

Then... Go to OASC and tell them all about it.