PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Leadership at LATCC?

DuckDogers
26th Feb 2002, 03:19
Just before starting on my pre-deployment holiday an intersting letter came across the desk from a certain Wg Cdr at LATCC asking that all Sqns/Stns submit to them on a Friday a list of all intended night flying activity that is proposed for the following week. This not being enough he commented that this should be supplemented by 1200 of each day of the night flying week an accurate and up to date list of what actual night flying will take place.

One asks the question, why?? So he can sort manning out? Probably not, as there has been no need in the past. A shortage of military conrollers? Hmmmm, the branch is already well overmanned for commissioned Officers. Finally, so people can have a night off? Your in the AIRFORCE get used to working more than 6 hrs a day!

The proposed solution to this problem is somewhat simple. In that lovely 1960's architects dream of a building just get yourselves a RAF CCIS machine that will provide you with that information for whoever needs the information before promulgating it!!!!!!!!!

Suggestions, comments welcome and please remember that this is not a dig at military controllers because i know the job you do. After all it could be worse Admin Guru may have started the topic, Oh look another lorry load of pencils has just arrived...........

Pie Man
28th Feb 2002, 18:13
"Proposed solution" when are RAF(PTC) and USAFE getting CCIS???

[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: Pie Man ]</p>

Whipping Boy's SATCO
28th Feb 2002, 21:56
DD, I think you will find that it is exactly because his manning levels are so poor that he has asked the question. Just because the pen-pushers say the Branch is in 'manning balance', doesn't mean that OC LATCC(Mil) has enough qualified bodies.

As an example, my Squadron is currently at 93% strength. However, take the OOA dets, maternity leave, sickness and lack of appropriate qualifications etc and you will find that I have only 46% of my assumed capability. Furthermore, I am established to provide ATC services 7 days a week/12 hrs a day but actually provide 19 hrs a day with controllers maintaining short notice standby for the other 5 hrs; hopefully you will now notice that air traffikers are putting in a significant number of hours.

Good question, well put, but I'm sorry to say that LATCC(Mil) are probably struggling to meet their task. Anything that can help them improve/maintain quality of life gets my vote.

PS. I support Pie Man's comments. How much do Valley and Cranwell contribute towards the daily area radar workload?

PPS I'm intrigued by your choice of title for this thread. Do I detect a little more than just an objective question?

[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: Whipping Boy's SATCO ]</p>

Air Show Bob
3rd Mar 2002, 19:40
Pretty simple really - Do what I did - PVR and start controlling with NATS. If you listen to some people on here they will have you believe that NATS is not the most organised company in the world - but it shows military air traffic up for what it is - a poorly led and organised outfit staffed in part by people who struggle to control themselves let alone a few planes ......

Numpo-Nigit
3rd Mar 2002, 23:12
Stay well hidden guys. I hear that Kabul Tower is not a "fun" posting.

KDL
4th Mar 2002, 02:13
... and to think... all this because a 'certain' Wg Cdr decided to show a little foresight. Surely the Civilian element of ATC has enough to concentrate on without having to concern itself with mil night flying... or are you not making up your 6 hours per day between regular breaks and union meetings?

Whipping Boy's SATCO
4th Mar 2002, 10:57
NN, I'll tell you what its like in in couple of weeks!!