PDA

View Full Version : Eurocontrol Question

Stunty
16th Dec 2001, 10:12
After reviewing the Eurocontrol website it is my understanding that you are only eligable for ATC employment if you are a citizen of one of the EU states.

However, I have heard of people going over (from Australia/NZ) and also know of others that have gone through negotiations for ATC positions (apparently their lack of citizenship was not going to be a problem but other things prevented them from going).

Are there ways and means to get around the system....if so what?

ive348
16th Dec 2001, 19:37
As far as I can remember, you should be a national from one of the member states of the organisation. About 35 states are members.
As for the others, I don't believe the rule goes for conversions (people moving from one ATC centre to another).

Avman
18th Dec 2001, 03:33
Not sure, but I believe that the "exceptions" probably have dual nationalities of which one is that of a Eurocontrol Member State.

GroundBound
18th Dec 2001, 11:54
There's a couple of Ozzies there, otherwise the rest are from Eurocontrol countries.

They are looking for controllers though, so it can't hurt to apply - they can only say "no".

Lon More
19th Dec 2001, 03:15
No nationality restrictions at one stage.It was apparently an administrative error in Fawlty Towers when one of the eggspurts forgot to include it in the vacancy notice; it would have been too difficult to enforce it so it was quietly ignored on that occassion.However a precedent has been set and I wonder how determinedly it would be defended.; anybody winning such a case would still have to pass all the exams though.
Training on an ab-initio basis only and not on conversion for the next few years, (A "gentleman's" agreement to stop poaching?)

Edited for foot in mouth. Apologies for confusion on my part.
[ 21 December 2001: Message edited by: Lon More ]

[ 21 December 2001: Message edited by: Lon More ]</p>

Avman
20th Dec 2001, 01:52
If indeed there are no nationality restrictions anymore, then Eurocontrol need to update the recruitment policy section on their site.

Stunty
21st Dec 2001, 05:28
I emailed the recruiters to check in the official version and here is the reply I got:

"At the moment there is only a notice of competition for Student Air Traffic
Controllers, and not for conversion
controllers. So the policy applies. It is not sure yet if there will be a
vacancy in the near future.
For further information about vacancies you can visit our

What is the Eurocontrol student course like? Anyone been through recently.