PDA

View Full Version : Late entry into alternative ATC

ariel
12th Dec 2001, 01:14
Hello all

Been plucking up the courage to ask this, so here goes......

A fair few years ago, I tallied with the idea of training to become ATC. However, went into software training instead.

To cut a long story short, I now regret it, and wish I'd have gone for the ATC, but am now quite beyond the cut off age, (of about 28ish?), to begin any training.

Anyway, to ask... are there any other sorts of jobs at ATC for people such as myself, who are unable to go for the standardised training? All my quals are in the computing field, so I consider myself to be quite technically minded.

Sorry to ask such a question, but I honestly don't know myself if any such alternatives exist.

Grateful for all replies

ariel

bill
12th Dec 2001, 04:11
not able to advise on "other" posts within ATC but, I'm sure others can correct me, the 28ish cutoff is a NATS thing. Might be worth talking to your local non-NATS airfield or, if you have the money, put yourself through the courses yourself, then try for a job.
Also, I always understood that the cutoff for NATS could be waived under certain experience circumstances.
Perhaps someone else could be more enlightening.

SWMAE03
12th Dec 2001, 11:37
NATS Have recently upped the age limit. You have to be under 30 on the date of application. I'm 30 in May, and have just been accepted by NATS, and will be starting training in July. So if you're under 30, apply now.

Aus ATC
12th Dec 2001, 17:05
Ariel,

I don't know if this is what you are after, but your computing expertise might come in handy with some of the ATC system providers eg. Thompson CSF (Thales), Raytheon, Hughes come to mind. I don't know who are the major suppliers in UK/Europe. ATC is becoming increasingly dependant on technology, and actually having a system designer who is interested in ATC might be a welcome change.

Good luck with your search.

Dan Dare
12th Dec 2001, 18:39
You could pay for your own licence. Probably costs about £20k for the Aerodrome Rating. With taht you may get a job for £30k pa and be sponsored for the Approach courses.

Look here if you're interested.