PDA

View Full Version : NATS in the Media

Steep Approach
7th Dec 2001, 19:31
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Fragile Nats set to become the Railtrack of the skies
Financial Times; Dec 6, 2001
By IAN FINDLAY

From Mr Iain Findlay.

Sir, Your article "Air traffic company seeks early injection of capital" (December 4) illustrates the change in fortunes for UK air traffic control. It is with some regret that I say: we told you so! The trade unions, while opposing the flawed proposals to privatise National Air Traffic Services, told the government that if it was to proceed it should do so on the basis of a true partnership, not on the Treasury extracting the maximum price.

Nats is now financially fragile, having been saddled with huge debt because of the monies it had to pay the government. It cannot invest in infrastructure, despite the government claiming that that was the reason for the sale.

The new Scottish air traffic control centre is being delayed at a time when UK transport investment levels are being severely criticised.

Cost comparisons with public sector European providers are dangerously misleading; UK airspace is more complex and crowded than any on the Continent. At the same time, staff are being squeezed, engineering levels are to be reduced and a pension holiday is causing deep unease.

If the investment and operating noose is not slackened around Nats' neck, a "Railtrack of the skies" is imminent. It is time the Treasury learnt from the tragedies of the past.

Iain Findlay, Aviation Officer, Prospect, London SE1 7AQ

Copyright: The Financial Times Limited 1995-1998

250 kts
7th Dec 2001, 22:07
Well it's about time the union started a positive "negative" campaign on what's going on.

All the promises of TAG are proving to be untrue(except the job cuts), and the sooner and louder the public hears this the better.

ayrprox
7th Dec 2001, 22:17
A very well thought out letter.
Now if we can just get the press to show a bit of interest. I mean our "colleagues" across the channel have just shown what using a bit of powder can do, although we do seem to have better reasons for complaint.
As is mentioned in the letter Where is the Investment we were promised and of the 20% cuts have you seen any senior management going?
maybe some are more equal than others :mad:

Mustapha Slippage
8th Dec 2001, 00:30
I'm told that some managers are arguing that in order to provide business continuity they require leave and personal development time cover. Which effectively means that while on paper you can cut some posts, in practice you get the postholder to 'share' jobs with someone else to provide a continuous presence. So you could cut a SMgmt post but not actually cut a SMgr off the payroll at all.

OrangeAdair
8th Dec 2001, 15:01
Good stuff. Let's hope its the start of a good campaign and that the media takes notice. I feel a letter to my MP (and a few others) coming on.

Nice to see the pension holiday mentioned and recognition from the union that its causing 'unease'!

Scott Voigt
9th Dec 2001, 09:16
I'm sure our communications dept. would be more than happy to share some of what they did in conjunction with our legislative folks to fight privitization here...

regards

2 six 4
10th Dec 2001, 02:19
Scott - when was privatisation ever proposed for the USA ?

Scott Voigt
10th Dec 2001, 09:48
It has been brought up many times in the past couple of years... We fight it tooth and nail every chance that we can...

regards

2 six 4
13th Dec 2001, 03:28
Are you sure you are talking about privatisation ?

My understanding of the US situation is that it has been proposed to change the status from a Government department run with federal funds to an organisation which covers its costs by charging users. Is that not right ? :(

Scott Voigt
15th Dec 2001, 10:30
2 six 4;

Nope we have bandied about a fee structure, but we already have user fees. They are called fuel and ticket taxes to fund aviation here.

We are talking about full blown privitization the UK and Canada way... We are 120% against this idea... It hasn't worked in Canada and it doesn't seem to be working in the short time it has been in the UK. The business model has to work in EVERY economic model if not, then it isn't going to work. Besides we have proven the governmental nature of our airspace since Sept. 11th...

regards