PDA

View Full Version : ATC assistants

alexknill
3rd Dec 2001, 13:57
Does anyone know of any units who require ATC assistants who can follow a recognised training route to become controller?

If anyone does, please let me know

Spoonbill
3rd Dec 2001, 16:53
I presume that you've contacted the nearest airports to you?
It's important not let the grass grow under your feet, so don't be afraid to contact regional airports a bit further afield.
I've got a fair bit of inside info' as to what atc units look for, (although unfortunately I don't know any who are recruiting at the moment), so email me if you want any more information.
Cheers.

bagpuss lives
4th Dec 2001, 00:08
I know that Leeds Bradford are very very keen on pushing their ATSA's through an ATCO course - so it may be worth trying there.

As Spoonbill says - regional airports are without doubt your best best :)

rachb01
16th May 2005, 13:05
could anyone give me any info on how you would start a career as an air traffic control assistant? i.e where you train etc

thanks

Rachel

italianjon
16th May 2005, 13:45
Rachel,

If you want to go that route why not try for a full ATCO course first.

Try the NATS website...

Do not worry about maths too much. Mental arithmetic is more important. Try adding up bills and multiplying cost per litre, when filling your car with petrol. It's just a case of practice.

I can't comment greatly, I am in the application process for NATS myself. Feel free to PM me, I'll help as much as I can.

L8rs

J

Punditgreen
16th May 2005, 14:19
At my Unit controller potential is often considered when selecting new ATCAs.
When a new ATCA is appointed they are given on-the-job training with a view to becoming competent within 4 Months or so (less for experienced people). They must pass a Met Observers Course.
Then, depending on their displayed aptitude as ATCAs, and in response to a prospective controller vacancy (and of course in competition with the other ATCAs at the Unit) they might be offered a controller aptitude test, which if successful may lead to them being offered an Aerodrome Controller course.
The Airport would pay for this, the accommodation and provide continuous salary whilst on the course.
If successful he/she is paid as a trainee controller and undergoes OJTI.
Subject to successful endorsement the candidate will be paid as a controller, serves at least 2 years and again subject to aptitude testing and Unit vacancy is sent on a radar course.
Failure at any stage in the process does not neccessarily mean that the ATCA position is held open - the Unit may have recruited a replacement.

Write to the SATCO/ATCM of as many Regionals as you can offering your CV and explain your burning ambitions. You may be surprised!

Alex - check yr pms

rachb01
16th May 2005, 14:49
thanks il try that. whats the salary for assistants by the way?

niknak
16th May 2005, 22:45
Salary varies from place to place, but at non NATS units expect between £10K to £14K inclusive of shift pay - sometimes more, sometimes less, additionally, it's very rare that anyone will give you any relocation expenses.

Top tip: Don't ask the question at the interview, let them tell you.

Remember that, in common with many other professions where an opportunity for career advancement and serious money is available, you can expect the base salary as you are starting at the bottom the queue.

How you advance is entirely down to you.

booke23
17th May 2005, 20:33
NATS airports ATSAS start on 20k + 4.4k shift allowance.....going up to 27k + shift.

Maybe you should try to get a NATS assistant job wherever you can....there are many internal ATSA vacancies that come up within NATS which you can then apply for. These posts only get externally advertised if they can't be filled internally.......which is rare.

Of course as suggested, you could just apply to CATC. But being an assistant for a while can give a great insight to the job of a controller.

tori chelli
17th May 2005, 22:29
Rachel

try NATS by all means, whether as an ATSA (an increasingly rare species) or as a direct entrant ATCO on a NATS recruitment into CATC... the "College" at Bournemouth.

The NATS ATSA route is rare, the NATS ATCO route is more feasible, but takes a long time while waiting for interview, selection, recruitment, & a suitable course, and what are you going to do for living expenses in the mean time?.

Spoonbill & Niteflite are correct in that regionals are best for jobs in the short term, and this answers the living expenses question.

I was lucky enough to get a job with a regional (on £3500 p.a but it was 25 years ago) and get sponsored training for aerodrome, approach & approach radar...did my time to pay back the 'bond' and then jumped ship to the NATS money mine working at a band 5 (top pay) unit on circa £80K.. so it can happen.

As Punditgreen says, a lot of potential employers are looking to the future when they recruit today. It also means that you will get a lot of exposure to all aspects of ATC from signals & flight planning, to assisting in tower & radar to understanding the legal & regulatory side of life, especially if, God forbid, there's an 'incident'. There's also nothing to prevent you taking a job at a regional while still applying to NATS for either ATSA or trainee ATCO.

It all depends on who you start your career with, what they're prepared to do for you, & how hard you work to fulfill your aspirations.

From someone who went down this road & has had the best time ever over the last 25 years, best wishes to you whatever you do.

Tori