PDA

View Full Version : Wind forcast data.

Smurfjet
29th Oct 2004, 10:08
Couldn't find a MET forum around here.

I'm looking for RAW data of Upper winds forcast. Not images.

In my search 'World Forecast Model' keeps popping up often, what is it?

End_of_Descent
29th Oct 2004, 14:01
You might want to to google for 'raw data' and some name of a global metereological forecast model.

E.g. there are GFS (Global Forecast System) or, in particular, AVN (Aviation Model).

One link I came up with is this one: http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html
Choose a location (city, ICAO, lat/long) and go for the 'Windgram'. (You need to enter a random code from an image which inhibits large-scale automatic downloads by computers.)

Hope this helps,

EoD

palgia
30th Oct 2004, 03:56
Smurfjet,
before you start pulling out "raw" data (its actually very refined... you don't want to see the really raw data:\) and using it operationally, I would recommend you take some time to research the various numerical models you are using. Find out how they work, what data they are using, how often runs are done, resolution and many other characteristics of numerical models. You need to know what you are looking at (just like you need to learn how airborne wx radar works before using operationally for storm avaidance).
Otherwise you might be very unpleasantly surprised with you get.
To answer your question as to where to look, you first need to tell us at in what region of the world you are looking at, how far into the future you need to be able to get the data, what altitudes and with what kind of spatial and temporal resolution?

In some cases having only pictorial representaions with wind barbs (and their related uncertainty in determining exact wind direction) can be more representative of the actual uncertainties in forecasted winds aloft. Giving you "exact" numerical answers might mislead you into believing that there are less uncertainties then there really are.

palgia

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/

Smurfjet
1st Nov 2004, 09:31
Hey guys,

Thank you for your input.

palgia

I'll start looking for those wx models, I'm only looking for simple things at the moment. Any recommendations or list of names?

To answer your question as to where to look, you first need to tell us at in what region of the world you are looking at, how far into the future you need to be able to get the data, what altitudes and with what kind of spatial and temporal resolution?

1-Region: Global
2-Short term, up to 72 hours
3-above 10,000 feet
4-lets see, every 6-12 hours and major cities, the oceans...

I'm looking for raw data because it will be processed through a program. Graphics will be good for human interpretation.

Also the data will not be operationally used.

enicalyth
2nd Nov 2004, 09:18
I have always found www.weathersa.co.za very helpful. Give it a shot.