PDA

View Full Version : MD-80 crash landing video?

WJman
24th Oct 2004, 13:26
I was just e-mailed a short video of an MD-80 on approach and then having the worst hard landing I've ever seen. The whole tails snaps off and skids behind it down the runway and fuselage buckles in the center. Complete write off. The rest of the aircraft continus down the runway intact.
Does anyone out there know what this was from. I would assume it was a test flt, but was it remotly flown or where crew at the helm. Any info such as dates, location, reason and results would be appreciated.Thanks.

Flightmech
24th Oct 2004, 13:41
Remember this happened to Aviaco on landing once but think it was one of their old DC-9's. Fuselage broken off at the wing trailing edge area.

Radar35
24th Oct 2004, 13:42
How about adding Video clip, so as we might get an idea of what you are talking about?

Sky Wave
24th Oct 2004, 15:29
Could be this one. It's from simradar.com I don't have any more info on it.
There are some spectacular crosswind landings in the misc real footage section. Rather them than me!

http://www.simradar.com/Feature/2418/DC_9_80_Hard_Landing.html

WJman
24th Oct 2004, 15:36
Thanks for adding that. That is the one I was reffering to. Was this a test or were there pax on this flt, when did this happen and what company. Thanks again.

747FOCAL
24th Oct 2004, 15:38
That was a Douglas test.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
24th Oct 2004, 16:09
Yep, a test flight. It's one of the main reasons everyone does "parametric" landings during test now; the authorities recognised that people were being motivated to push the tests too much the old way.

IIRC one of the FTEs got a broken ankle or similar through being stood up when the "landing" occurred. There was a report on it I had lying around somewhere, there seemed to be a lot of people watching the instruments from what it implied.

Oh, and by the way, the aircraft was not a complete write-off!!!

Douglas also badly damaged another aircraft around the same time - something about it running off the runway, and when they tried to use a crane to get it out of the mud the crane jib fell and smacked the forward fuselage. So now they had an aircraft with no forward fuselage and one with nothing much aft of the wing.

They stuck the salvageable bits back together (speed tape fixes anything :)) and used the resulting Frankenstein aircraft as a test vehicle subsequently (it may have ended up as the UHB testbed?). (I can't recall all the details, word of mouth from a ex-Douglas FTE)

selfin
24th Oct 2004, 16:45
http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_07a/leadnews/186672-1.html refers.

(Page has direct mpeg link and an NTSB report.)