PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed instructor Airline Pilots need to sit JAR-CPL(A) exams

RVR800
21st Oct 2004, 14:27
This may be of interest to airline pilots needing the renew their instructor ratings on retirement (or whenever)

Be aware that LASORS states that when renewing...

.. an FI(A) rating that has lapsed by more than 5 years there is a requirement to pass the JAR-CPL(A) theoretical exams...!

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF

Section H1 page 12

Presumably an ATPL working for an airline or a CPL guy parachute dropping would also have to do this.

What is all this about? Oh silly me. It's all about valuable revenue for our hard working guys and gals at Gatwick!

I can't understand the CAA obsession with constantly having to resit theory exams..unless it is revenue related..

You will then have to hand the CAA more money and complete a
full approved training course no doubt!!

homeguard
21st Oct 2004, 17:09
RVR800

Grandfather BCPLs will not have previously passed any CPL exams.

If you hold a CPL/ATPL then you already have. You will have to attend a seminar and pass a FI renewal test. Thats all!

Not too bad is it.

RVR800
22nd Oct 2004, 08:23
Ahh so you read it that if you havent already passed the
JAR-CPL(A) exams then you need to do them - what about the National CPL exams? Its NOT clear what they mean...

It reads to me like you have to do the theory paper if you go over the five years since expiry of the FI rating regardless of your previous history - so to say its not too bad is well maybe kinda generous ...?

expedite_climb
22nd Oct 2004, 08:49
No you don't. I think you are twisting LASORs a bit. What would be the point in that ? Your ATPL's are still valid ! CPL's are a stripped down ATPL, nothing in there that the ATPL's don't have!

You need to use a modicum of common sense in aviation, and for all the criticism thrown at the CAA (often from me), they do have a bit of common sense.

You should work for my crewing - great at twisting agreements !:D

RVR800
22nd Oct 2004, 13:22
Expedite Climb

The people in the CAA have more than a modicum of common sense that is true....

But they are responsible for rolling out a lot of legislation that
they have no control over...!

Lasors is the version of the rules as they see it..

The reason I have posted this - is that the rules need to be defined and they need to be defined unambiguously....

In this case its not clear... read it.. its very UNclear

Common sense doesn't necessarily come into this......

(No I dont want to work for crewing I have a great job that I
am more than happy with thanks..)

DFC
22nd Oct 2004, 17:00
My understanding of the LASORS requirements are -

Some pilots are instructing using "grandfather" rights while holding BCPLs and in some cases (mostly elsewhere in Europe), PPLs.

These pilots have not demonstrated CPL knowledge at ICAO or JAA level.

If one of these pilots lets their rating lapse by more than 5 years then their "Grandfather" rights have gone and in order to instruct they must meet the CPL knowledge requirements.

Obviously, any current CPL or ATPL will have already demonstrated the required knowledge.

This is a similar situation to people who have completed the ATPL exams and only have a CPL (Frozen ATPL) - they can not let their IR lapse by more than 5 years unless they want to do the ATPL exams again!

Regards,

DFC

BlueLine
28th Oct 2004, 22:42
Read JAR-FCL1, that is the document that lays down licensing requirements. There is no time limit for CPL or ATPL exams with regard to an instructor rating. LASORS is WRONG in this case and no doubt will be corrected in the next edition.

It seems this reference related to expired Instructor Ratings where the applicant had originally held a PPL and had never taken the CPL exams!