PDA

View Full Version : Multi-IR AND/OR Instructor Rating ?

termerair
18th Oct 2004, 19:01
Hi everybody !!!

What’s your opinion about this…

I’m currently training for my CPL. It will be completed by early december. I’ll have about 540 TT (480 as PIC - night/taildragger rated) and 130 more hours gliding. Until soon i was planing to get only my Multi and IFR ratings for the rest of my training. But I’m more and more thinking (and interested in !!!) about the Instructor Rating. Obviously everything will depend on my money left but what do you think is the best between those 2 possibilities :

1 ) to get everything in once (Multi/IR, instructor rating)
2 ) to get the instructor rating first (next winter-spring) and the multi/IR ratings in a few years (I’d say 2…)

What’s your point of view then ???

Thanks a lot ! Wish you good flights !

Termerair

fougapilot
19th Oct 2004, 00:19
Back in 89, I did my CPL and Multi-IFR, finished with around 500hrs TT, including some glider time (Cadets). Spent the next year or so looking for the ever-illusive first job. Every company I saw told me the same thing; not enough hours. Being tired of the answer, I invested in my instructor rating; started to work the day after my TC check-ride and logged 800hrs (ish) in the first year. Met a few people, which lead me to my first Navajo job a couple of years later. I even went back to instruction (at a different level, I agree) when I joined Flight Safety in 98 teaching ground-school and simulator on the challenger. Again, met a few good people and now I am a full time CL driver. Instruction is not a bad job, its just the $$ that sucks.

Dan

geldoff
20th Oct 2004, 01:20
get the IFR and go get a ramp job. It worked for me and I was better prepared at 1000 hours of charter flying for the next step, than my instructing counterparts. You'll be a better instructor down the road for it.