PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Application in Canada

Chippik
11th Oct 2004, 13:31
I am seriously looking into the prospect of flying Ag aircraft in Canada (as a career). I am at the end of a tailwheel conversion on a chipmunk and hope to continue building tailwheel time in the meantime till I sort myself out in terms of my future flying career.

What is the current state of the industry (job prospects etc)? and what route would I take to get flying Ag operations (do I start off loading etc)?
Are there any useful books/training manuals I can gen up on?

Many thanks in advance

rotornut
12th Oct 2004, 11:16
Chippik,

These outfits offer ag pilot training. At least one, Battlefords, claims that it offers employment after training.

Ag Flite
Box 1036,
Niverville, Manitoba
R0A 1E0
Phone:204-878-3031 Fax: 204-388-6192

Battlefords Airspray
Box 1393,
North Battleford, SasKatchewan
S9A 3M1
Phone:306-445-3099 Fax: 306-445-2347
Cell:306- 441-0547

Leading Edge Aviation
Box 1477 Yorkton,
Saskatchewan
S3N 3G3

Chippik
12th Oct 2004, 12:39
thanks Rotornut Ill look into it

I wonder though if any Canadian ag operators would take someone on fresh out of Ag Flight training school?

Ive found the CAAA (Canadian Aerial Applicators Association) website so Ill see if they have any info for me, but PLEASE everyone keep the advice comming every little helps me incredibly.

rotornut
12th Oct 2004, 16:03
I believe I read an article last year about Battlefords and the fact that they DO hire fresh out of ag school. I'll see if I can dig it up.:ok:

Chippik
12th Oct 2004, 20:26
thanks rotornut much appreciated

rotornut
13th Oct 2004, 11:45
Hi Chippik,

Darn if I can find that article. It was in http://www.producer.com/
last year, I think.

Anyway, it definitely said that at least one of those schools hired some of its students right after finishing the course with no previous experience. And I seem to recall that Battlefords said the same thing in its advertising. I used to do some spraying myself but I 've been out of it for some time now so I cn't offer much help. Anyway, good luck.

Chippik
13th Oct 2004, 12:36
Rotornut,
thank you for all the info that you have offered it all helps.
Did you do RW spaying? or have you done the FW spraying before?

Is there anyone else out there who can offer additional advice

rotornut
13th Oct 2004, 17:19
Yes, I did RW spraying on the Canadian prairies. It was a lot of fun but hard to compete as the FW guys could do it a lot cheaper.
RW spraying is best for small acreages and places where fixed wing aircraft have difficulty getting in close, for example where there are lots of trees.
If I was going to do what you are thinking of doing, I would definitely go FW as there are more opportunities. Also, I understand you need a lot of hours these days to get a RW job.

Chippik
13th Oct 2004, 17:38
FW is what ive always wanted to do, I would love to fly the Air Tractor 600/ 800series (800 series is more preferable)

rotornut
13th Oct 2004, 20:38
Fantastic airplanes, alright. I haven't seen any out West but I know of a guy who has or had a Turbine Thrush and also a fellow who has a Dromader.
I think you would probably start out on an Ag Truck or Pawnee and then work your way up. The Ag Truck is a good airplane and when we were spraying, we could get about 160 gallons of spray in it. That would cover 160 acres which is about the smallest field we would generally spray. The max might be over 600 acres.
Spraying in the Canadian West usually starts in early June for weeds and lasts maybe 3 weeks maximum as you generally can't spray when the crops develop past a certain point. The rest of the season to September is for insects and some years are better (for aerial applicators, that is) than others. There used to be some dessicating (chemical drying) in August or early September but I'm not sure if this is done much any more. I'm afraid I don't know anyone in the business now so I can't offer much help. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, Chippik, and hope it works out for you.

Chippik
13th Oct 2004, 21:00
I dont mind what I start on it means I get to fly (and I mean really fly the aircraft)
what happens during the time thier not flying/spraying ie out of season (sept/oct-May/june)?
thanks again for all your help and advice check your PMs

Surely there must be some Canadian Ag pilots/operators or anyone who knows the business out there who can help?

please

rotornut
13th Oct 2004, 23:46
what happens during the time thier not flying/spraying ie out of season (sept/oct-May/june)?
Not much. They are in the hangar, except for the ag schools which begin training in April, as I recall. (It's a long winter on the prairies with snow as early as September sometimes, and spring starting in about April).

rotornut
17th Oct 2004, 13:59
And by the way:

Text Forecast from Environment Canada

North Battleford: Issued 5.00 AM CST Sunday 17 October 2004

Today .. Snow ending this afternoon then cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Wind east 20 km/h. High zero.
Tonight .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries. Wind east 20 km/h. Low minus 4.
Monday .. Snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind east 30 km/h. High plus 1.
Tuesday .. Periods of snow. Low minus 4. High plus 2.
Wednesday .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High plus 2.
Thursday .. Cloudy. 70 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 2. High plus 2.

Normals for the period .. Low minus 2. High 10.

pittss2b
18th Oct 2004, 15:47
Harv's Air in Steinbach, MB, Canada can help with ag training and taildragger training. www.harvsair.com

Ag- Flight of Niverville is no longer in operation.

Chippik
18th Oct 2004, 16:29
Rotornut
looks like winter is setting in, when we get snow in Scotland/UK it seems to be a bit of a novelty, Im sure itll get a lot colder as well

Pittss2b
Thanks for the info on Ag-Flite
What aspect of ag training can Harvs air provide? i had a look at the website and didnt see anything obvious apart from tailwheel conversions
Im at the end of my tailwheel training in the chipmunk and plan on doing aerobatics and formation next as well as landing on different surfaces (well grass only as I dont believe it would be advisable to land her on the beach at barra)

rotornut
18th Oct 2004, 23:15
A few years ago I drove out to Harvs Air. I liked the owner, Harv? and the setup there. At that time they were using Pawnees as trainers, as I recall, and I think the course was 30 hours. And yes, winter can come early and be brutal on the prairies.

rotornut
19th Oct 2004, 12:19
P.S. Let us know if Harv still does ag training. I was seriously thinking of getting my FW commercial and doing FW spraying as the helicopter wasn't economically viable for large fields. So I checked out Harvs Air and liked what I saw. If I had followed through, Harv would have been at the top of the list for ag training.

Chippik
19th Oct 2004, 12:29
Rotornut
No problems Ill post any info I get from them.

Anyone else who is interested in this topic and want to find some info have a look here
Canadian Aerial Applicators Association (http://www.canadianaerialapplicators.com/)

In the meantime please keep posting any info

pittss2b
21st Oct 2004, 03:47
I'm nervous about posting this if the moderators might deside to come and punish me, but here goes.

Harv's Air is waiting to see what the demand for ag pilots might be like next year. We've been talking to some operators about their demands for ag pilots. We'll know around Christmas if we'll have a spring class.

If one wants to get into ag flying, get all the taildragger time you can get your hands on. At least do your time building on a taildragger, and better yet both your PPL and CPL.

Adam
[email protected]

Chippik
29th Nov 2004, 08:24
Update: Battlefords
They have a course which starts on March 15 each year at a cost of 14900 cdn plus 7% service tax.
They are the only company to have a course which uses fully functional ag planes throughout.

The CAAA (Canadian Aerial Applicators Assosiation) suggest contacting Statistics Canada for stats on the job market.
For any other info, refer to their website and newsletter which is downloadable as a pdf.
No doubt Ill have more info to post, thanks all for your help and keep the info comming

rotornut
30th Nov 2004, 17:08
Yes, they are advertising in The Western Producer (a farm newspaper).

"Previous tail dragger experience not required" ? I guess they figure they can give you enough in the 40 hour course.

Anyway, good luck, Chippik. I wish I was younger and not tied down or I might be taking it...