PDA

View Full Version : IFR procedures

M.85
10th Oct 2004, 18:55
Hi Folks,

I turn myself towards instructors as you have the knowledge i forgot..

On some greece,egypt when full procedures are required as ATC doesnt have Radar,many times my Captains use LNAV to intercept the outbound leg of a procedure turn (race track,45/180 turn..) rather than joining the hold depicted at the IAF which allows you to intercept the outboung leg withinh the REGULATED 30 degrees max track difference between your Aircraft one and the outbound.

IE coming from the south heading 000 deg track and having to intercept a 100 deg track outbound...i believe the holding at the IAF is there to allow the aircrcaft to be protected in the procedure 1000ft in the 5 miles and then in the buffer area for a further 5 nm when the obstacle clearnce is reduced to 100ft.
By how much is the outbound leg protected by..LNAV will allow the aircraft to join the otbound leg precisely but is that LEGAL??
Or what i wa stought just for convential IFR basic flying..ie with only raw data instruments???
I have searched in my old oxford books in Airlaw but there is no mention to operation with LNAV capability..

Thanks a lot for your help..

M.85

Tinstaafl
10th Oct 2004, 21:17
If the a/c is above an appropriate MSA then no worries eg 25nm MSA, 10nm MSA etc. You're protected by the MSA & can manouvre at will as long as you stay within the relevant area. If below the MSA then you're not complying with the tracking criteria assumed by the procedure designer when considering the LSALT for the inbound track, sector entry, hold & entry to the approach.

BEagle
10th Oct 2004, 21:47
Only true if you use a 'fly over' LNAV mode. If you let it lead the turn, it should have no problem maintaining the outbound track.

I used to let the automatics sort out the outbound track using LNAV, then switch to heading select once the LNAV had sussed the drift.

Then back to radio for the localiser capture.

But that was in a very ancient aeroplane upgraded to Rockwell Collins FMS800.....partially.

M.85
11th Oct 2004, 14:21
so its legal to fly that way using LNAV?regulationwise?

M.85