PDA

View Full Version : Instruction outwith a FTO RTF

mr_flydive
7th Oct 2004, 17:57
Can anyone clarify the type of instruction outside a FTO or RTF that an FI instructor can do.

I will assume that ab-inito ppl's are out but
? Continuity training
IMC training
Tail dragger training

and if the instructor has a cpl can you charge.

What about on an individuals private A/C
What about in a group A/C which you may or nor be a member of.

Thanks

BEagle
7th Oct 2004, 19:08
'Car boot instruction' is very much frowned upon. You will need to be your own 'RF' to conduct IMC training even though you don't need a licensed aerodrome.

What on earth is 'continuity training' when it's at home?

Differences training - perhaps. Hardly going to pay the bills though.

Dodgy deals in 'part-owned' non-Public Transport CofA aircraft - such things won't take long to attract official attention.

Can't you just get a job with a RF?

mr_flydive
11th Oct 2004, 19:14
Continuity Training probably the wrong terminology but

Those guys who wish to practice IMC and already have a rating or maybe it is out of currency and they wish to practice prior to a test.
Those girls who haven't been out at night on their own & want an instructor. Perhaps they are outside the 90 day rule & wish an instructor to sit with them.

There is no test as such & they have liciences but they require an instructor from the safety aspect.

I guess from your tone that its a delicate area but how would the CAA view getting paid for the above.

It seems that IMC ratings are out, but what if you don't get paid for them as you are a member of the same syndicate doing it for the common good.
Also I have often wondered about the legalities of instructing on a Private C.o.A plane for say an IMC when you are not a member of the syndicate from within a Reg.Facility.
I am sorry there are so many unanswered questions and yes I have read lasors & also have written to the CAA but they have not necessarily answered the questions posed.

Thanks

DFC
11th Oct 2004, 20:52
Simple answer -

It costs nothing to register an RTF.

You can register as an RTF.

The syndicate can also register as an RTF.

Is getting paid to be a passenger legal........I suppose there is nothing in the ANO that prohibits pilots paying people to be their passengers! (I know a few pilots who would have to pay me to be one of their passengers. :) )

Providing training where you are the instructor (P1) is diferent from what you describe.

Remember that passenger time doesn't count towards anything but it is nice of you to volunteer to be a passenger with a pilot who you considder unsafe unless with an instructor having the authority to take control should something untoward happen.

It is illegal for a passenger to take control of an aircraft from the pilot!

Regards,

DFC

foxmoth
12th Oct 2004, 06:58
It is illegal for a passenger to take control of an aircraft from the pilot!

This may be so, but I have never seen it in actually written down and would have thought it would be OK as long as that person was doing it with permission of the aircraft captain.:hmm:

homeguard
12th Oct 2004, 08:31
To be paid then you must hold a CPL of some sort. To charge for 'Public Transport' or 'Arial Work' (Instructing) you must hold a valid 'AOC for that purpose.

If the Pilot is both a CPL and an Instructor for the purpose and both of you, the Instructor and Student, are members of the same club then the instruction (Arial Work) for payment is exempt the AOC requirement. To instruct for any licence or rating you must be a 'Registered Training Facility'.

Only the 'sole owner' or spouse/children may train on an aircraft with a 'Private Cof A', for the issue of a licence or rating. The Instructor in this case should ensure that within the owners insurance policy the Instructor will benefit as a third party to any accident ('.....Hold Harmless .....' clause).

To carry on a business involving the public you must have Public Liabilty Insurance and also Employers Liabilty if you have any sense.

Most owners who approach an individual Instructor to train them do so to get it cheap and to avoid the costs that otherwise must be met. I know of one Instructor who 'moonlighted' from his club and trained on a private aircraft. During one such sortie the aircraft struck trees following an EFATO. The insurance paid for the aircraft to be rebuilt and compensated the owner for his injuries. The Instructor is lame for life and requires a walking stick - didn't get a penny!