PDA

View Full Version : AMS ATC SIMOPS

JoyDivision
12th Feb 2002, 01:42
Was a time in the good old days! when AMS used to impose nasty big old slot delays to inbound flights. Now it seems they impose them both ways, a 100% improvement in disruption potential.

To add insult to injury Brussels deny that they have any control over this, or the imposition of flight suspensions.

I know it must be dreadful trying to co-ordinate AMS in windy condition but this is really not acceptable.

Anyone care to comment?

static
12th Feb 2002, 14:13
AMS is my homebase, so I might be able to shed some light on the matter, however I do not understand your question.. .Is it that AMS now hands out outbound slots as well that`s bothering you?

JoyDivision
12th Feb 2002, 17:24
static; basically yes. Until recently in windy conditions traffic flow through SPL was controlled by regulating inbound atc slots, this by its nature regulated departures as well.

Now we seem to get massive slot delays departing in addition. It would seem from speaking to Swannick that SPL has been given an unprecedented degree of autonomy over the atc slots affecting their airfield.

Lastly SPL appear to be able to impose flight suspensions on the basis of wind condition, normally this procedure is triggered by low vis or radar failure.

static
12th Feb 2002, 19:29
ok, I see your point now. All I can say is that AMS has a huge problem with environmentalists. They have achieved through extensive lobbying and spreading of misinformation that the Dutch government has imposed big restrictions on the use of mainly rwy 22 and 27. These are ofcourse the runways that are preferable during strong winds, that are mostly from the southwest hereabouts.This went so far that IFALPA gave AMS a black star for refusing pilots a prefered landing runway under stormy conditions.. .That has changed now; the pilot can refuse a designated rwy and he will get the runway he`s asking for. However in this case he and the company must file a report to the airport authorities.. .I don`t think this is the main reason for the exagerated slots at AMS, though. In my humble opinion ATC in AMS is simply not efficient enough. If you compare their situation to for instance the situation at LHR. Both have 2 runways available under stormy conditions (AMS has 27 for arr and 24 for dep). It seems that at LHR they have a lot more movements though.. .In AMS they always seem to use too much spacing on final.. .Why they use departure slots is a mistery to me. Ever tried to get airborne at AMS at the start of your CTOT window? Lucky if you make it CTOT +5. Even though you`ve called in ready CTOT -20.

As to imposing flight suspensions; I`ve only encountered that once with winds gusting 65 kts. I don`t know why they close down then, but maybe their fairly high tower has to be vacated then? It lasted for about 15 minutes then.. .Ground handling has to be suspended with thunderstorms overhead, due risk of lightning strike, but inbounds are allowed to land.

Hope this helps.

JoyDivision
12th Feb 2002, 20:00
static; no it doesn't help but it is most informative, and I tend to agree with your sentiments, thanks.

Perhaps someone from Eurocontrol, LACC or, perish the thought, SPL ATC co-ordination would care to comment.

Any other regular users of SPL how do you feel about this. Personally I feel something should be done, quite what escapes me though.

Captain Spunkfarter
12th Feb 2002, 23:20
The general concensus appears to be that LHR ATC does the best job in the world when two runways are involved. Not many people would argue with that.