PDA

View Full Version : moving to another ATC job abroad

atco90
7th Nov 2001, 05:10
Hi all,

Appreciate your help on this one. Im an area controller in Europe with a little under 2 years experience in my rating. I want to move abroad and work in ATC somewhere else, perhaps Europe, maybe Canada, Southern Hemisphere, Far East ...

What countries are hiring at the moment? And also, is 2 years or less enough experience to be considered for a direct entry position somewhere else.

It needs to be an enroute centre to match my own rating (I imagine) .. so, where do people suggest?

Look forward to any helpful replies on this one.

Many thanks in advance ...

[ 07 November 2001: Message edited by: atco90 ]

Red Dragon
7th Nov 2001, 17:58
Check out the Flight International web page a the moment. I believe there is still an ad by Serco. It doesn`t specify what positions but I can tell you they are looking for people at their Area Centre in Abu Dhabi. Whether 2 years is enough experience, well you`ll just have to contact them. If they need people then they tend to be fairly flexible on experience required.

If the ad is no longer there, then drop me a line and I could probably give you a conatct name/address.

Regards

Red Dragon

Spoonbill
7th Nov 2001, 18:09
SERCO tend to ask for at least five years experience, any flexibility depends on the customers' requirement. I know that they've been pretty rigid on this requirement in the past, but I don't know if things have changed.
One very big question they will ask, and they'll want a convincing answer, is why you want to leave your present employer after only 2 years, and what assurances they have that you'll not do the same to them in the future.
Anyway, best of luck.

atco90
7th Nov 2001, 21:56
Thanks for the help so far guys. Im quite interested in Canada but it seems to be hard to find information on working there. Anyone have any current gen on that?

Any other countries hiring?

Warped Factor
8th Nov 2001, 00:10
You could have a look at.....
http://atsrecruitment.navcanada.ca/welcome.html

WF.

Spuds McKenzie
10th Nov 2001, 08:40
atco90,

2 years experience is little, I'm afraid. As mentioned above, Serco is asking for at least 5 years in Area, and Abu Dhabi is the most likely place to find a job at all nowadays, since ATCs are having a closer look at their revenue prospects after the world wide downturn in aviation (capacity reductions=less flights).
Even notoriously short staffed companies like Skyguide (formerly Swisscontrol) are reviewing their recruiting (for expats especially).
My advice for you is to gain more experience and to keep on looking at the market.
However, go for it, when the time is right, and maybe look for a place you could live for a long time, in case you couldn't return to your previous position.

achtung
15th Nov 2001, 11:42
So leaving Maastricht already heh?! it's got to be the restrictions again, if they become any more severe, I'm going to have to bring some more books in to read! :)

Avman
16th Nov 2001, 15:26
Welcome to the fold achtung. More like the fewer number of airlines rather than restrictions me thinks. No SWR, no SAB and a lot less rotations by the remaining operators. Let's enjoy the break while it lasts. Won't be long before we're working our derrieres' off again!

ItchyFeet2
18th Nov 2001, 12:41
atco90 seven points behind in the league already?

katja locke
20th Nov 2001, 17:54
atco90,
iīd say try germany, but..... except for the pay and the location (maybe) i canīt really recommend my company, sorry. :(

Scott Voigt
21st Nov 2001, 04:39
Coco Bandit;

Has it gotten that bad in Germany with the ATC provider? I haven't heard from any of my friends lately as to what has been happening over there...

regards