PDA

View Full Version : Removing Night Restriction

Jaydee27
20th Sep 2004, 08:52
Does anybody knwo where I can get my night restriction removed in the next few weeks - ie. BEFORE the clocks change.

I'm currently based in Norfolk, so somewhere not too far away would be best!

Cheers,

Jaydee.

orionsbelt
20th Sep 2004, 09:26
Give Andrewsfield a bell 01371 856744.
Dick F.. did mine

2close
20th Sep 2004, 18:42
Pardon my stupidity but what is a 'Night Restriction' and how do you get it removed?

I'm aware of the FAA Night Flight/Color Signal Restriction but have not heard of the same in JAA land.

2close

FlyingForFun
20th Sep 2004, 20:52
2close,

Over here, when a pilot qualifies as an instructor, his instructor ratings include several restrictions, for example "No applied instrument instruction", and "No aerobatic instruction". One such restriction is "No night instruction".

In order to remove the night instruction restriction, an instructor has to complete a recognised course, which includes some ground school (I think it's 5 hours), and one of hour night flying. Then, of course, you have to pay the CAA a small fee to get them to amend your license.

FFF
-------------

2close
23rd Sep 2004, 17:42
Thanks FFF,

A bit more knowledge for my overworked brain - just hope I don't lose something important acommodating it.

As you've probably gathered, I'm not an instructor myself (but I am hoping to get there within the next two years by the slow, modular, part-time, circuitous route) - I watch this forum to gain knowldege from you learned fellows (nearly typed 'felons' there...oops!).....and fellesses of course.

Thanks again,

2close

juggernaut
23rd Sep 2004, 19:32
Hey FFF I think you are a little confused about the night instructor restriction. To teach any rating you must hold the rating. Any instructor will normally have a CPL, this means that he/she will already have 5 hours night and therefore already hold a night rating as it is necessary to get the CPL issued.
An instructor who wishes to have the night rating restriction lifted must -
1. Hold a night rating (5 hours) e.g. CPL holder
2. Complete one hour at night with an FIC instructor
3. Complete 3 hours ground training

There is no test, just a form filling exercise afterwards and part with £65 to you know who.

lady in red
25th Sep 2004, 21:10
Actually since JAR it is a Night Qualification not a Night rating. To remove the restriction an instructor must attend a course with an FIC instructor of at least TWO hours ground school then a flight of at least one hour to demonstrate ability to teach ex 12/13 (circuits) at night. Also according to the latest Trainingcom the instructor should undertake sufficient night navigation training. The restriction is removed by the FIC instructor signing off the relevant form before presenting it to CAA for the removal from the licence, but remember if you are still a FI(R) you cannot send first solos at night, either circuits or nav.

MVE
3rd Oct 2004, 16:39
Lady in red is spot on!