PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN proposes new FI licence?

gijoe
10th Sep 2004, 15:57
GAPAN proposes new Instructors Licence

The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (GAPAN) Instructor sub-committee has been looking at various issues relating to flying instruction.

One of their major proposals is the creation of a new Instructors licence, which would focus on training specifically for the purpose of teaching flying. They recomend flying training should have far more emphasis on safety, safe standardised techniques and recognition of potentially hazardous situations and should include analysis of accident reports to learn how to avoid repetition of such errors.

And they say the some instructors leave a lot to be desired - there is no place in a cockpit for aggression, bullying, bad language; nor is it pleasant to share the confined space with the heavy smoker or garlic chewer!

A CPL would no longer be a prerequisite.

Discuss??? Anyone know any more or how far it has got??

BEagle
10th Sep 2004, 17:06
It doesn't need a 'new licence' - just appropriate changes to the ANO to permit flight instruction for remuneration as a Rating privilege.

But what is needed is a better structured course which bridges the gap from PPL to FI standards of theoretical knowledge, flying skills, instructional technique, teaching and learning methods.....

You'd still need a CPL to teach at CPL level due to a JAA requirement, so this proposal would really only work at PPL level.

FlyingForFun
10th Sep 2004, 18:11
there is no place in a cockpit for aggression, bullying, bad languageHmm, someone ought to tell that to one or two of my students! ;) :D

On a serious note, though, anything which results in a greater proportion of instructing positions being filled by people who actually want to instruct, rather than just building hours, is a good thing IMHO. There are, of course, plenty of hour-building instructors who are extremely good instructors. But there are also some who have no interest in instructing, and see it just as a means to an end. If I understand what you're saying, gijoe, under the proposal, a CPL would have to do more work in order to get an FI rating (or license) than under the present system, whereas a PPL would have to do less (due to not having to get a CPL)? If that's the case, it sounds good to me.

FFF
------------