PDA

View Full Version : 152 or Warrior

Craggenmore
8th Sep 2004, 08:22
Just a quickie........

152 .vs. Warrior

Is there and advantage to be had depending upon what a/c you get your Instructor rating on?

Im thinking along the lines of....1. employability and 2. does one of these have a majority presence throughout schools offering JAA PPL's (UK mainly and then the US).

Thanks everyone,

Craggs

LFS
8th Sep 2004, 11:31
you cannot do all the FIC on a warrior as there is a requirement for spin training in the course. The 152 is the most common aircraft for the FIC and probably the most common training aircraft around.

hasell
8th Sep 2004, 13:54
Hi,
According to WLAC's website. They offer the FIC course using a warrior:-http://www.wlac.co.uk/pilotlicences.htm

Rgds.

Has.

FlyingForFun
8th Sep 2004, 15:03
WLAC have a number of aircraft, some of which can be spun.... including, unless they've got rid of it recently, a PA28-140.

I did my FIC on a Warrior (not at WLAC, though), and used a Robin for the spinning element.

Surely anyone who has passed an FIC course should be capable of very quickly converting to any of the aircraft which are commonly used for training? After all, being a qualified instructor implies some degree of competency. I would have thought that the type of aircraft on which you do your training would have very little impact on your ability to find employment, and would probably be about the least important factor in choosing somewhere to do the course.

Since gaining my FIC, I did a small amount of work at two schools, before finding a more permanent position at a third school. Of these three schools, two primarilly use C150/C152s, and the thrid primarilly uses Robin HR200s. Before flying for these schools, I had a grand total of 0 hours on both the C150/C152 and the HR200. The fact that I trained on the PA28 does not seem to have affected my ability to find work on other types.

FFF
-------------

LFS
8th Sep 2004, 15:24
At the end of the day FFF is correct, you will be expected to quickly move from type to type as an instructor. It is more important to choose a school which suits you (price, recommendation, locality etc.)

Big Pistons Forever
8th Sep 2004, 18:27
All other things being equal my first choice would be the C 152, for 2 reasons.

1) It is generally cheaper to train on

2) It is a little harder to fly accurately than the pa 28 and therefore will help develop your stick and rudder skills.

Craggenmore
14th Sep 2004, 07:12
Thankyou for your replies to my question.

I get the picture. :ok:

Craggs

GusHoneybun
16th Sep 2004, 14:52
Doesn't really matter two hoots to any future employer which a/c you trained on. As said before, you should be able to jump into any SEP and fly it comfortably.
If you end up beiing buddied with another FI student, then the warrior is probably better as you end up back seating your buddy and learning just as much as a pax as you do when in the RHS. Down side is that you need to do the spinning in something else. Did my FI in a warrior and ended up doing the test in a 150 which I had the sum total of 2 hours in.