PDA

View Full Version : 744 silly question

lfo
27th Aug 2004, 18:37
Hello everyone.
Could you explain, when and how toga disarms after, or during the go around.
some sort of sop. CX would be ideal.

Notso Fantastic
28th Aug 2004, 15:24
TOGA sets G/A thrust to achieve a 2000 fpm climb, or on the second press of the G/A button sets full power. It will be disengaged when the preselected level off altitude is captured and the A/T goes into Speed mode, or more likely at Acceleration Altitude when the pilot presses FLCH-SPEED-200knots to retract flaps to 5.
Expect several different versions to follow!

Harry G
28th Aug 2004, 18:48
As Notso Fantastic says TOGA only disarms when another mode is selected, normaly FLCH. You could also select VNAV (THR REF, VNANV SPD) if the Go-around is loaded in the active route.

The TOGA roll command remains the active mode until HDG SEL or LNAV is selected. So if you do nothing you will continue straight ahead for ever!!

A small correction to Notso's post, if you do nothing in pitch then when the MCP altitiude (the GA altitude) is reached the pitch mode becomes ALT (hold). Thats fine, however the A/T remains in THR (or THR REF) until SPD is selected. This could catch you out, with the aircraft rapidly accelerating toward the max flap speed! But, 5 kts before the max operating speed is reached speed protection will kick in to prevent you bending metal, very clever.

This is why, as Notso said, we select FLCH, then SPD, then dial in 200 kts or whatever you want.

It sounds like you have a sim ride coming up, best of luck.

FunctionedSatis
28th Aug 2004, 18:57
Your quite right Notso,

TO/GA for pitch is attitude hold/Speed hold or a mix of both, bit compicated!

TO/GA for Roll is track hold from where the TO/GA button was pushed.

The pitch mode will ramain until the MCP Alt is reached or till another mode is selected. Roll mode will remain Track hold until another mode is selected.

For info one push engages a calculated thrust for 2500ft/min climb rate 2nd push gives TO/GA thrust ref, climbs like a home sick angel.

Stu.

Notso Fantastic
29th Aug 2004, 03:16
Thanks for providing further illumination chaps. Being an 'older' style pilot, I approach all this sort of stuff with great caution (and suspicion). All frightfully clever, but B737-200 flight systems are about the maximum I am comfortable with! You can get so heavily involved with fancy mode selections and working out what it is doing that you haven't noticed the gear is still down!

jtr
29th Aug 2004, 05:21
There may be operator variations, but since it is a CX specific Q....

The first push of the Toga buttons will give you a max of 2000fpm.

lfo
29th Aug 2004, 12:25
Hi There.
Many thanks indeed everbody. for your great info

TopBunk
30th Aug 2004, 15:13
aaaagh

who mentioned the bl**dy THR switch!!!!!

3 years off the -400 and gettting palpitations at the thought of it!

Notso Fantastic
30th Aug 2004, 17:00
Not me! Never use it! When I try and read up to see what it is, it's all gone next morning! So you look at it and think......'I'll bluff my way through!- it's got me through 34 years so far!' (just).

Oasis
1st Sep 2004, 16:26
you can also recycle the fd's and you will get spd-att/hdg hold-vs.
Which is handy if you indvertently push the toga's, when you didn't mean to, on approach! (whooopsie daisy!)

--and no, it wasn't me