PDA

View Full Version : rough runways

kichwa tembo
24th Aug 2004, 10:30
flown with a couple of guys who insist on using max t/o thrust on rough runways even at sea level when ther'es room for huge reductions, such as bombay. i think it's unjustifiable.

does anyone know of any recommended practices for operating out of runways that have seen better days on modern jets?

18-Wheeler
24th Aug 2004, 13:05
We do that operating out of Penang.
The runway is pretty darn rough indeed there, and if you use the full reduction allowed then there would be very little runway left at Vr.
We have a company memo out stating that full thrust must always be used there - But we normnally wouldn't get a lot of reduction there anyway due to the weights we operate at.
As for lighter weight planes, at say Bombay, I don't know. If the Captain decided to use something between the appropriate reduction and full thrust and something went wrong then he's be in a spot of bother all right.
If in doubt, go for full thrust ...

Norwegian wood
25th Aug 2004, 18:03
....plus a little more flap maybe??:confused:

oldebloke
26th Aug 2004, 01:44
Full thrust and flap increase all reduce the groundroll pounding,as per reduced Vis ops and contaminated runway ops,thats what it's for-get up and go!!
cheers......:ok:

kichwa tembo
31st Aug 2004, 12:08
thanks a lot guys.

if in doubt max thrust. it makes complete sense. being too academic i guess- i.e. trying to quantify an unknown

Centaurus
1st Sep 2004, 10:54
There was an atoll in the Central Pacific that was extremely rough.
Full thrust was used in combination with flap 25 in the 737-200 in those days. We would look at flap 15 or flap 25 which both gave a significant reduction in VR compared to flap 5 or flap1. We are talking about 13 knots or more.