PDA

View Full Version : First airline job - who keeps instructing?

sk8erboi
21st Aug 2004, 23:08
Hi guys

Just a question for those ex instructors who have got a job in the last 18 months or so.

I have been instructing for almost a year now and am looking for a turbo prop job,hopefully with Eastern. At the moment I would like to continue instructing part time but I know this may be idealistic. My question is have any of you ex instructors continued part time? If so are there any FTL implications? And do you enjoy it, or is it a pain on the days off?
I would appreciate all views, those who do it and those who don't.

Many Thanks

Heli-Ice
22nd Aug 2004, 01:48
A funny thing about flight training on your days off, you don't have any FTL towards your company of current occupation, the only thing you have to worry about is to have your FLT sorted out with your company of current occupation. This is the Icelandic way and we are considered, as I'm told, ahead in the JAA wonderworld of reg's :-) Every FTO should have a FTL scheme, that you are of course supposed to follow, but from what I have experienced myself I haven't seen a scheme where these two thingies should trouble you!?

But as you may expect, the JAA always will find a way to make you suffer...

Best wishes,
Heli-Ice

IRRenewal
22nd Aug 2004, 07:56
In the UK instructing is aerial work and counts towards the 100/900 hours limits. Private flying in light aircraft you can do as much as you want.

Check how your employer feels about it before you do it. If you come back to work after a weekend doing 10 hours instructing and they can't roster you because of FTLs they will not be impressed with you.

I do some 15 hours/month instructing/examining/airtesting in addition to the airline job, but I don't work for a LCC and I don't expect to fly more than 500 hours/year in the main job.

Hope this helps.

Gerard

jsf
22nd Aug 2004, 11:05
am looking for a turbo prop job,hopefully with Eastern

You, me and 2000 other hopefulls...................Good luck!

jsf

Ojuka
22nd Aug 2004, 15:48
There is a weight limit of the aircraft you fly outwith commercial duty that doesn't affect your FTL limits on the job. I think it is somewhere around 1300kg, I vaguely remember. So jollies in a 150 are OK as much as you like, but jump in to a Navajo or similar and you must inform your employer of your flight hours, regardless of whether the trip was private or for hire or reward.

I know this doesn't really answer your question about instructing but it may be a worthwhile point.

DB6
23rd Aug 2004, 11:57
In our company, in which it's unlikely more than 4-500 hours per year will be flown, you need the written permission of the director of flght ops and (don't know where this came from) you must not be paid for instructing.
In practice it can be difficult to do both unless you're not married etc. and have no other commitments. Some chaps just let it slip and their SEPL ratings lapse, others with more interest in real flying as opposed to bus driving keep at it but more private flying than instructing.
I instruct and examine at the moment as well as fly for an airline but with a family I don't do more than 3 or 4 hours a month, sometimes none, and with that sort of currency - albeit with a reasonable amount of experience - you have to ask yourself how good a job you're really doing.

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Aug 2004, 12:16
I still do the odd bit to help out if needs be. Problem is that, as DB6 points out, you aren't exactly keeping current by only doing a couple of hours each month.

We have to get permission, but as we don't do an enormous amount of hrs a year it isn't a problem. We can get paid aswell!

Wee Weasley Welshman
23rd Aug 2004, 15:13
I've given up. Contrary to popular belief you don't actually fly 900hrs a year for a Low Cost Carrier - I've averaged just UNDER 800 in three and a half years with Go/easyJet. So hours were available even if they were paid ones which the company would have said no to.

Fact is airline flying makes lots of calls on your time. You will be away from family friends and significant others on many evenings, weekends, public holidays and special events. To then further voluntarily dissapear off to do even more flying often does not amuse as it can in fact be selfish to do so.

In addition, as much as I enjoyed being an instructor (voluntary, PPL and Commercial) for 10 years or so - its not quite enough fun to compete with the alternatives. Sportscars, motorbikes, gadgets, guns, dogs, foreign travel and even gardening now compete for my time. Whereas slipping off in a light aircraft used to be a major buzz/treat/thrill - now I find (still in my 20's mind so no pipe and slippers) that having an airline wage means more alternatives.

I fully fully intended to keep doing quite a bit of instructing after I joined my first airline. But life, things and you change.

Plus you have to be careful you don't become too much of a TAP...

Cheers