PDA

View Full Version : instructor books

muck-savage
11th Aug 2004, 19:53
Hi,

Is there any book that I can buy that contains all the pre flight briefings exercise 1-20 and also contains diagrams to help explain to the student ?

Thanks

GusHoneybun
12th Aug 2004, 17:02
Well, I was recommended to buy Mr R.D Campbell weighty tomb called 'Flight Instructors Manual'. Turned out to be a marvellous bookend that only cost £30. This book is far too wordy and seems to be written in an era when handlebar moustache's and pipe smoker of the year awards were all the rage.
Personally, I found that the PPL Flight Training book from your man J.Pratt is as good a guide to instructors as it is to students. There are good diagrams of each and every exercise with clear and concise text. It is written in a way that is easy to follow and presents the info in a Janet and John way that even us instructors can understand.

Noggin
12th Aug 2004, 17:32
Try this one; modern up to date etc

http://www.ontrackaviation.com/theshop.html

2close
12th Aug 2004, 18:41
Well, I was recommended to buy Mr R.D Campbell weighty tomb

But you didn't 'cos grave robbing is illegal:D :D :D

Or could that be 'tome'.

Sorry, Gus, couldn't resist that.

D 129
12th Aug 2004, 20:04
But Campell is excellent as a reference book.

e.g. If one lesson isn't as you would wish, read the Campbell chapter on it.

I still haven't found time to read the whole book - but on a "dipping in" basis it is excellent.

D 129

moataplane
13th Aug 2004, 18:45
Try Pooleys Pre-flight Briefings, got most of what you need in a good layout for passing the test.
Also use the Campbells for sound knowledge, although takes a great deal of effort to read.

Tinstaafl
13th Aug 2004, 19:54
Australia's CAA used to publish a smallish book called 'The Flight Instuctor's Manual' (or similar). Inexpensive but a good primer. Even if the lessons aren't exactly in accordance with the UK system they'll be close enough to be useful.

Should be dirt cheap at UK:Oz exchange rates.

jsf
15th Aug 2004, 08:15
Gus

Mr R.D Campbell 'Flight Instructors Manual'

Makes a useful step when clearing your windscreen of dead flies.

If you cant find a rag there are plenty of surplus pages that can be ripped out as well. Just mind you dont scratch the perspex.

jsf

lady in red
15th Aug 2004, 19:52
In addition to the Pooleys Pre- flight briefings, there is a spiral bound document "Instructors Guide to Pre-flight briefings" that expands on the teaching points for the instructor. Plus the Pre-flight briefings are also available on OHPs and as Powerpoint CD Rom.