PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed Please.........

TenAndie
11th Aug 2004, 13:11
Hi, not posted on here before due to not knowing it existed but here i am.

I gained my PPL, IMC, MEP with a total of 150 hrs in the US over two visits. I have done bits of flying back in the UK but due to serious money problems plus one or two personal problems i have not done enough flying in the last two years for my license to be valid.

I am now in a position where i can afford to fly on a regular basis and don't really know where to go in my situation.

My wishful thinking of it is that i will need however many hours to get back up to scratch, then to take a skills test again. If this is the case then i can plan a trip back to the US, get things sorted then apply to Oxford.

If anyone has an answer to the problem it would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

mad_jock
11th Aug 2004, 20:02
Err if you have 150 hours there is no point doing a Intergrated course.

If doing a modular course you don't need a valid sep OR mep to do any of the training becuase its all dual.

I would contact bristol or oat or any other ground school provider and get going with the ground school. Then before you start cpl or IR training do a few hours with a PPL instructor preferably with one at the school your doing the course with. The CPL done in a complex single will get your SEP back or in the twin MEP. And if after cpl and IR done on the twin you still want your SEP back there will be someone at the school able to do a quick SEP test for you.

I notice your in Leeds. Pop into Leeds flying school and I am sure dylan can point you in the right direction

MJ

jsf
12th Aug 2004, 11:44
TenAndie

mad_jock sums it up very well. Modular will be a much lower cost option given your experience already.

Your revailidation requirement is a test with an authorsed examiner. The content is as describend in AIC127/199 (White 378) and can be found on the following link http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W378.PDF

I don't undersrtand why you need to go to the USA for hours building......you seem to have enough hours to meet the entry requirements for the CPL, although you didn't put your solo time down.

If most of your flying so far has been done in the USA and you are going to do the JAA CPL you would be better (imho) doing some time dual in the UK with an instructor on familiarisation with UK procedures RT and airspace, It will be less costly as mj says to do this with a PPL instuctor than trying to get up to speed during your CPL.

If you want to send me a PM (I work at LFS) I will be more than happy to discuss your options, impartially, and help you to get on track with your training.

jsf

Noggin
12th Aug 2004, 13:00
MJ
"If doing a modular course you don't need a valid sep OR mep to do any of the training becuase its all dual."

WRONG!

In order to start a modular CPL course you WILL need a valid PPL with at least one valid aircraft rating SEP or MEP and a night qualification. You will also need to have passed the CPL written exams.
APP 1 TO JAR-FCL1.160.

TenAndie
12th Aug 2004, 14:22
Cheers for the advice.

The only thing that bothered me is that i heard from a pilot at MYT the the modular course isn't looked on as favourably as the integrated course when looking for employment.

Don't know what your thoughts are on this ??

sorry i forgot to add that i do have a night rating too.

GusHoneybun
12th Aug 2004, 16:40
Noggin,

You don't actually need the night qual to start the CPL training, only for licence issue. The same as also needing a 300nm QXC, 100 PIC, etc for licence issue not to start training.
Also, just to clarify a quick point that maybe valid in this instance, you can start a CPL course in JAR-land on any valid ICAO PPL, which includes one issued by our paranoid, loud, dayglo orange plus four wearing, can't be bothered to read a soddin map whilst on holiday, can you show me where the clan mcdonalds resturaunt is, let's all pile across the atlantic to shoot the buggery out of all the grouse and pretend to be lairds for a week type friends across the atlantic.

Oh, and keep picking up on MJ's faults as they are many and varied. Perhaps a thread all to itself?