PDA

View Full Version : Examiners - what do you charge?

Night Rider
27th Feb 2002, 20:27
Hi all,

Just trying to get a rough idea of what my fellow PPL examiners are charging for flight tests these days. Any info on charges for PPL Skills Tests, Proficiency Checks and IMC Initial and Renewal tests much appreciated.

Many thanks.

GT
27th Feb 2002, 21:10
PPL Skill Test £150, so I've heard.

GT.

juggernaut
27th Feb 2002, 23:01
I myself charge £120 for a ppl skill test and nothing for the re-test if a partial,the recommended amount is £150, this avoids having any conception from the student that I am on a money making mission and am fair and am unbiased. After all it now costs approximately £1200 to become an examiner and I expect to be able to recover my costs.

Night Rider
28th Feb 2002, 23:43
juggernaut,

I know exactly what you mean. I was fortunate, my rating only cost about £400, mainly because I got a good deal from the company I was with.

The older examiners (those who didn't have to do a course and a test to get their ticket) sometimes do the test for free. This attitude doesn't help our cause as they are, to a certain extent, pricing us out of the market.

How times have changed!!!

Airprox
1st Mar 2002, 23:52
I charge, £150 for the skill test and £75 for IMC.

BEagle
7th Mar 2002, 18:29
PPL Skill Test - £130. .PPL Skill test retest - £65 per hour. .SEP renewal or revalidation proficiency check - £65. .SEP Class rating Skill Test - £65. .IMC Test - £ Nothing. .Ground exams - £ Nothing

IRRenewal
13th Mar 2002, 16:35
I post my charges on my web site:. .. . <a href="http://www.irrenewal.com" target="_blank">IRRenewal.com</a>. .. .follow the link to 'prices'.. .. .BEagle, why do you not charge for IMC tests?. .. .Regards

Stampe
13th Mar 2002, 17:36
£6 pounds per flight hour for members of my company flying club.For external candidates £40 for renewal/revalidation proficiency check and £60 for PPl skill test.I don,t test people who are not enthusiasts or who have come from dubious training enviroments.I don,t instruct/ examine to make money only to recover the horrendous fees I have to pay the CAA and in turn the money grabbing organisations I have to go to for my own tests.I try to put back in to aviation some of the pleasure I have taken and continue to get.Its a pity light aviation isn,t more like gliding with truly amateur instructors working for the common good ,the standards of training are most probably far higher in the gliding world.I think standards of instruction have got progressively worse under JAR.

BEagle
13th Mar 2002, 23:42
I don't charge for IMC tests because I consider the IMC rating to be a worthwhile safety enhancement to PPL flying - and if someone invests the time and money in the IMC rating course, then they deserve some form of positive encouragement.. .. .I use the income from tests etc to fund my CAA costs (medical, FI seminar etc) and to offset the costs of other voluntary work intended to improve the lot of the new pilot. As I have a 'day job' doing other things, my scale of fees aims at making my GA activities 'cost neutral'.