PDA

View Full Version : Diesel in a 150

Lurcher Man
23rd Jul 2004, 13:27
If you had to replace the engine in a 150 Aerobat (Cos it broke!) would you consider a diesel. If so which one & how much.

Kolibear
23rd Jul 2004, 14:02
I suspect that the cost of getting it certificated would far outway the cost of the engine and any fuel savings

A and C
26th Jul 2004, 11:55
It will only be a matter of time before the C150/152 fleet gets a diesel engine retrofit .

The fleet is big enough to make the mod a good financial propostion but I see this as being 5 to 10 years away at the moment.

Buter
26th Jul 2004, 21:11
I believe that Meridian in Bournemouth have installed a diesel into a cessna, either a 152 or 172 not sure, there was an article about it in one of the flying magazines. The diesel engine is more economical, but the cost of the installation was staggering.

Cheers
Buter

cfimei
29th Jul 2004, 04:06
it is the modification and re-certification process that's holding back widespread use of diesel engines but the advantages are clear; cheaper fuel, better consumption, less engine maintenance and no more mag drops. i've heard figures as high as $30,000 to convert a standard certified aircraft to diesel and that could be more than the aircraft's actually worth. As A&C says, it's still a long way off from being the norm unless you can afford that fabulous Diamond TwinStar!

hotprop
2nd Aug 2004, 20:59
Only diesel approved for installation in Cessnas are the Thielert Centurions of Diamond fame as far as I know. They're STC'd in C172s, PA28s (up to 160 hp versions) and ofcourse installed in Diamond Stars. Meridian is distributor of these engines I believe.

Seriously, I think the thielert is a good deal. Besides new engine you also get a new prop and other stuff - basically firewall forward replacement. The real upside is the rather ridiculous fuel burn. I flew a Diamond Star at 100 knots on roughly 4 US gallons/hr - Jet A !

Compared to the SMA engine (Renault design) the cost is only half. The hp is also less but they're asking more than $80000 for the SMA replacement, compared the $40000 of the Thielert !!!

Don't know if there will be diesel for 152s but it IS the future for GA so I don't see how it could be otherwise in a few years.