PDA

View Full Version : Red Warning Stripe In British Cockpits

LEM
23rd Jul 2004, 07:21
Just curious: I flew recently on one of the newest entries in our fleet, a 734 ex British, wich has a red stripe you can extend across the cockpit entrance and says "WARNING: DO NOT ENTER COCKPIT".

What's that for?

Notso Fantastic
23rd Jul 2004, 07:29
I remember it well! It's a new budget British secret anti-terror weapon. Or it could be for use when the electronics bay hatch is open to prevent accidents.

BOAC
23rd Jul 2004, 07:49
Lem - it is to stop pax trying to pee in the cockpit - a well-known British trait. Either that or it is some BALPA industrial thing. :D

Not-so - type confusion there, old chap! E&E only opens underneath fuselage - or was that where that stewardess went.................? :D

Serious hat on now, LEM - depending on which serial no. it is, they came from all over the world with all sorts of different mods.

Notso Fantastic
23rd Jul 2004, 09:37
Woops! There is a hatch in the metal floor there under the supernumary seat. You'd have had to be a contortionist to get into an electronics bay! What was it- manual gear lowering? Maybe it was to stop people entering when that is up? 'Twas 9 years ago now! I do know I used to pull that red ribbon over and attach when the girls approached sometimes (as a laugh).

Can someone explain that crap film 'Catch Me if You Can'? Leonardo goes into loo on B707 and jumps out of the wheel well? Damn clever! Sets the scene for a totally rubbish load of fiction.

LEM
23rd Jul 2004, 11:34
There is no such hatch in the cockpit on the 73, as in the 707, to my knowledge.

Some months ago, in central Africa, I used that hatch to get off a 707 (no stairs available, and the jump was too high...): you go down in the e&e and can jump down... don't know if you can open it from the interior. :D