PDA

View Full Version : Costs of becoming an instructor

Tiger_ Moth
6th Feb 2002, 19:21
My plan is to get a job and save up to be a flying instructor but how much would this cost?. .I want to be a club level instructor doing PPLs etc and flying SE or maybe small twin planes. I heard that you need a minimum of 200 hours. Is this true? . .So, given that when I started Id have maybe about 30 - 50 hours on Tiger Moths so would have nearly (or might actually) have a PPL how many more hours would it probably take and how much would it COST with all the hidden extras included? . .I also heard that they won't let you do it where you progress at your own pace but that you have to go to a full time flying school. Is that true?

sickBocks
6th Feb 2002, 21:01
I had a look on the CAA's website (www.srg.caa.co.uk) but there appears to be no reference to Flying Instructor Rating requirements at present. Your best bet would be to email them: [email protected]

I think 200hours total is required. You also need a CPL in order to instruct for reward, hence you have to look up the requirements for CPL issue (roughly 200hrs total + 100hrs PIC + the theory work, see the CAA website once again).

All Flight Crew Licencing Requirements can be found in JAR-FCL1 (which you should find lurking about at your local flying club).

The actual Flying Instructor Course can be completed at any of these FTOs: <a href="http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf" target="_blank">www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf</a> [Page 4].

The courses can be achieved either full-time or part-time and presently cost between £4500 and £6000.

Sorry the info is a bit vague but hope it's useful nonetheless.

sB

[ 06 February 2002: Message edited by: sickBocks ]</p>

juggernaut
8th Feb 2002, 02:31
The usual route is PPL,CLASS ONE MEDICAL, NIGHT,IMC,HOUR BUILD, CPL or ATPL exams,JAR CPL course (25 hours),GFT,FIC course (31 HOURS),TEST. You need a CPL to teach for hire and reward, but can instruct with a PPL, the hour requirements are more, 150 hours P1. but no pay!. .requirements are;. .CLASS 1 MEDICAL. .200 HOURS TT. .100 HOURS P1 (150 IF PPL). .CPL KNOWLEDGE. .30 HOURS SEPL, 5 HOURS IN LAST 6 MONTHS. .COST OF ALL THIS? 20,000£ PLUS!

Draco
8th Feb 2002, 03:46
Yes, but as they say... aviation is a great way of making a small fortune... as long as you start with a large fortune.

R

Megaton
8th Feb 2002, 03:55
PPL (45 hrs) £4000 (3 weeks). .130 hrs building @ £50/hr: £6500 (3 weeks). .CPL (25 hrs) £4500 (4 weeks). .FIC (31 hrs) £6000 (4 weeks). .Medical £400. .ATPL Gnd School £2000 (?). .ATPl Exams £800

Approx total £24200

Not to mention accom, resits, exams fees, extra training, flts to US. You should be able to get cheaper hr building and save a few quid here and there but essentially it'll cost you at least £20,000 if it all goes to plan. If you're lucky you can stay with friends while you study, find a cheap group aircraft to fly but also remember loss of earnings. All this for £10 per hour! And if that didn't put you off you'll probably make a fine instructor!

PS To those of you who have done it cheaper - great - please don't argue the toss over marginal savings. :)

Noggin
8th Feb 2002, 20:20
200 hours is a prerequisite for starting a FI Course (JAR-FCL 1.330), you must also have passed the CPL level written exams, but you do not need to hold a CPL. You may complete the course and instruct on the basis of a PPL with a Class 2 medical but the disadvantage is you cannot be paid. The figures quoted for cost look about right

Pigs Might Fly
8th Feb 2002, 23:40
If you don't have a CPL, you still require the CPL Cross Country flight - logged as such - before you can start the FI course. I've seen this overlooked until the stude is about to start the FI course (usually because they decided to do the Professional GFT (CPL) post FI course).

Good luck at making a living out of Flight Instructing!

Tiger_ Moth
13th Feb 2002, 19:35
Thanks for your helpful replies.. .Do I have to do the ATPL groundschool and exams even if I just want to be an instructor?. .Also do I have to have 200 hours before doing the CPL or can the 25hrs from the CPL count towards it? Seems like I'd end up with about 250 hours because of the FIC as well. Is that £50/hr hour building in the states?

Simon W
13th Feb 2002, 20:38
You only have to do CPL theory exams. There is one BIG problem with this. Asfar as I'm aware there are no JAR CPL theory exams, they haven't been written. Looks like ATPL theory is the way to go.

foxmoth
13th Feb 2002, 23:25
Rather than hour build in the states buy a part share in something cheap to operate,eg. Cub, Jodel or such. if you join the right group you will get flying almost as cheap as the states but without the expense of flights & accom. out there.. . When you have the hours you then sell your share to help pay for the rest.. .Good luck.

Tiger_ Moth
14th Feb 2002, 20:04
Thats a very good idea foxmoth, it could be cheaper and it would be better to fly in the UK. And instead of pointlessly flying around in 152s I could practice aerobatics.

Evo7
15th Feb 2002, 13:50
You dont have to "pointlessly fly around in 152s" of course. Dozens of hours flying Granny around the local area might not teach you much, but I'm sure plenty of Nav's would - and a healthy dose of class D airspace would do wonders for your RT.

jsf
16th Feb 2002, 01:07
Evo 7 is spot on.

Nav exercises with land aways and plenty of airspace to deal with would be better in the long term than flying aeros if you want to instruct and go on to CPL(A).