PDA

View Full Version : our esteemed bus driving friends

ianhogg
17th Oct 2001, 21:11
Made me smile yesterday, coming home from a week in pathos on a eurocyprios scarebus to
newcastle with about 10 kts across the runway
the "handling pilot" did a rather nice extended float followed by an even nicer weathercocking lurch into wind on touchdown
followed if im not mistaken by a rather firmer application of opposite rudder by someone elses foot. (It might have been mine, my wife saw my leg move as I started flying the armrest)Anyhow all was well after some enthusiastic use of the maxarrets that had the kit rattling about in the galley.
What i want to know is
1.will I have to pay extra for extra in flight entertainment in future
2.if so can I opt out as as a flying instructor
on microlights I payed good money to get away from that kind of thing.
3. Do you think they have enough of a sense of humor to come and do a few circuits in a chevvron at Kirkbride Im sure we could polish
them up a bit. having said that it made the day of one of my students who met us at the gate to find out that he regularily does better landings in identical conditions to the big boys so there is hope for all of us
Pip Pip :D

kabz
18th Oct 2001, 19:42
I'm sure this message will warm the cockes of any student who regularly flies out of any E-W aligned runway in a predominantly southerly-flowed area.

bwahahahah.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Oct 2001, 22:46
Mind you Ian, yon chappies Eurobus with 300 PoB only needs about the same length of runway as your Chevvron with 2 - so he'd probably feel right at home.

Probably a bit of the shock having no computers to play with though.

G

ianhogg
19th Oct 2001, 01:23
touche ghengis ! Well allmost , the old gentleman's aerial conveyance does indeed need nearly as much room to get off grass as a fully loaded early buccaneer. But she manages 150 yds of tarmac on the way out and will land on a small fag packet. Admittedly
once the wheels have actually left the tarmac
with two fat boys on board you learn the virtues of patience in the climb but at least I lie back content in the knowledge that the old girl sinks with the donk off as slowly as she climbs. As a teaching aeroplane
I love it. ;)

ianhogg
19th Oct 2001, 01:35
touche ghengis ! Well allmost , the old gentleman's aerial conveyance does indeed need nearly as much room to get off grass as a fully loaded early buccaneer. But she manages 150 yds of tarmac on the way out and will land on a small fag packet. Admittedly
once the wheels have actually left the tarmac
with two fat boys on board you learn the virtues of patience in the climb but at least I lie back content in the knowledge that the old girl sinks with the donk off as slowly as she climbs. As a teaching aeroplane
I love it. ;)

Genghis the Engineer
19th Oct 2001, 16:55
Fair point. I actually quite like the Chevvron - certainly nothing wrong with it that a little more poke, or a slightly more curved planet, wouldn't fix.

G

CaptAirProx
20th Oct 2001, 21:54
As a pilot of the not so big boys(not an Airbus), instructor and ex hostie boy I can tell you that this sort of lurching around at the back end of a large aircraft (in particular B757,A300) is common place. Suspect you were sat down the back? Anyhow, you said there was a weather cocking lurch into wind, then further rudder the other way? Surely this is just a case of a larger gust of crosswind just at touch down that was corrected by the 'handling pilot' in the appropriate manner. Nothing wrong in that. I fly both manual and hydraulic powered rudders, and I can assure you that a hydraulic can be very twitchy at times if your not careful. Try sitting down the back end of your Chevvron near the tailplane while your mate flies it, and you might feel the same sensation. On reflection, you can't do that can you. Shame. If your lucky you might get to fly a real aeroplane that actually flies one day! Hehe. The Chevvron I flew from a grass airfield in Wiltshire had me in stitches at its poor attempt of demonstrating aerodynamics. Be thankful you Scarebus pilot got you down safely, remember these computer pilots get very little chance to hand fly and when they do its cos the whole computer system is knackered.

ianhogg
21st Oct 2001, 00:01
Fair comment untill the bitchy bit about getting to fly real aeroplanes .It was still a very average arrival on a day when most of our club would be greasing them in. And for a laughable attempt at a aerodynamics,flying more than its own weight on eight and a bit litres an hour for 5 hours is only laughable if you are not paying for your own fuel. And it soars the helm wind rather well too. (see flyer mag last year) .Still ,obviously against such an expert on aerodynamics , the opinion of Derick Piggot who has forgotton
more about flying gliders than most of us know counts for nothing.As he rather likes them.
And remember you cant kid a kidder
pip pip. :rolleyes:

CaptAirProx
21st Oct 2001, 13:25
Sorry about the bitchy remark. I was on the fourth glass of wine at that point. You said on the day in question your club aircraft would be greasing them on. True a greaser is a sign (particularly to pax) of a good landing. But remember these Scarebus things have ABS and Spoilers, and to make them work the Weight on Wheels switch must activate. That means anything but a greaser landing. Especially on a wet runway. Got to get the wheels spinning up so that the brakes can start to bite. I wish I could do greasers everytime! My aircraft I fly daily Im lucky to not get a shudder through my back! We have to cheat and soften the blow by landing one wheel first or just lowering the nose slightly just as the main wheels are about to touch so that the main bogie's rate of descent is temporarly reduced as the tail pitches up. But thats what makes flying fun - its a challenge. Not got anything against light aircraft, used to teach in an AX3. But the Chevvron to me looks like somebody from Fisher Price decided to build an aeroplane. Bit like the switches and airconditioning in my aircraft!!

But hey, If you enjoy it and thousands of others do, who am I to knock it. Each to their own and if it gets your butt in the air then good for you! We are all privelidged to be able to do that.

A and C
21st Oct 2001, 20:45
A lot is going on in the last 200ft of an airbus landing as the computors change control laws in respoce to airspeed and radalt info to name just two of the inputs and the alpha floor protection is working using pitch only (as power aplication would stop the aircraft landing)This leaves the pilot with a hard task to place the wheels softly on the ground and as has been pointed out you need the squat switches made to get spoiler deployment and 60KT wheelspin up to get autobrake added to this newcastle is not over long for this class of aircraft so a firm touchdown is the order of the day as to kicking off the drift you will put less stress on the aircraft landing with all the drift on than you will kicking it off and getting it wrong.