PDA

View Full Version : You know who you are...

BFH
5th Jan 2002, 08:18
I'm a student working on my private pilot. I take lessons at an aircraft services company which specializes mainly in aircraft maintenance and repair. I'm one of only a handful of teenagers at this place taking lessons. The guys at this place are mainly older guys who've been around the block a time or two. Frankly, they're a bunch of jerks. I'm treated with disrespect on a daily basis and I feel it's because I'm a "kid". My question is this: Should I just get used to this type of treatment because of my age? After all, youth is something we all grow out of. Is this something any of you encountered when you first started flying?

The only reason I stay at this place is because I like my Flight Instructor. He's the only one who treats me with any respect or dignity; although I have a feeling it's simply because he doesn't want to lose my business.

Maybe this is normal, I really don't know. But I feel it's cutting down on my enjoyment of the thrill of becoming a pilot.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jan 2002, 08:54
BFH,
They are acting completely unprofessional. Does not sound like the place you should work or train. You might want to quietly start looking for work at another FBO.

Best of Luck,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

Kermit 180
5th Jan 2002, 09:15
Agreed, they are acting unprofessionally. All students should be treated equally, you are paying the same fees as an adult and should expect the same courtesy.

Kermie

TRIMTRABB
5th Jan 2002, 12:55
BFH,
Sorry if I'm poking my nose in to an instructor forum but I felt I wanted to say something...
Ultimately to become a good, safe pilot you need 100% belief in yourself. To achieve this is a joint venture between yourself and your school. The whole of the school not just your instructor. It is all too easy for just one misplaced comment to dent a persons confidence - Totally unacceptable in aviation.
In any profession we need to remember very simple rules when training anyone, of any age. Raising self-confidence, whilst nipping any bad habits in the bud in a constructive manner. I believe this isn't a difficult thing to achieve!
You seem to have two options:
1. Discuss this with your instructor - Sometimes people get in a rut and they may not even realise they are doing it. You may be pleasantly surprised. You may also decide to move on after the conversation

2.Just move on if the confrontation thing is not for you

Whatever you do don't do nothing!

A fantastic future awaits you whether you choose private or commercial flying so just put this down to experience. Don't let this put you off aviation. I'm sure there are alot of pilots over there who will be more then willing to help you in some way or another. I went through a bad spell whilst training and just called a chap I hardly knew. He chatted to me for ages and this really, really helped

TT

Charlie Foxtrot India
5th Jan 2002, 16:36
Agree with the above; your age or anything else about you should have nothing to do with the way you are treated. For what it's worth, most students of your age are very rewarding for us crusty old instructors to teach, being able to learn new skills quickly, with bundles of enthusiasm, and not too many life complications to get in the way of learning.

Many people make the mistake of staying at a place that may not suit them because they get on well with a particular flying instructor. And why not, most of us are quite nice! HOWEVER remember that your instructor may be a nice bloke, but that doesn't necessarily make him a good instructor. If you're not comfortable there, shop around.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Jan 2002, 00:30
BFH,

There was one thing I was thinking about that I should have mentioned in my first post to you. When you a learning to fly at an FBO where you work, you should expect to get bumped from your scheduled flights. The customers need to be taken care of first. That is just part of the way FBO's work, especially if your FBO caters to foreign students who have a fixed time to complete before flying home.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

yxcapt
6th Jan 2002, 05:44
If you haven't all ready re-read the comments above. Great advice from all. Find a place that supports and motivates you. A place that makes you feel warm and welcome, some place you would go just to hang out.

You'll know when you found the right place, you'll spend all your time at the airport there.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

BFH
6th Jan 2002, 10:29
Thank you all for your input on the topic. I was talking to my father on the phone the other day (he's a pilot) and he was telling me pretty much the same as all of you. I take it all into consideration.

Thanks a lot.

TRIMTRABB
6th Jan 2002, 16:01
Good Luck BFH...

bluskis
7th Jan 2002, 05:49
Several decades ago shop floor engineering had really good guys worthy of a uni degree, and a helping of jerks who made themselves feel important at the expense of the apprentices.

Sorry to hear the jerks still live.
Does anyone know where the good guys are?

buzzfly
10th Jan 2002, 15:54
I'm unconnected with Naples Air Center - and have never met or talked with Capt Gentil- but just a note to him, to say congratulations on your excellent business. I've seen a lot of Schools/FBOs - it's one of the best.

No - no-one has induced me to say this!!!..... simply the result of an unfailingly good "customer experience". Keep it up....!

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: buzzfly ]</p>