PDA

View Full Version : Is ATPL/CPL and Class 1 still necessary

JP5A
5th Oct 2001, 11:02
1)Is it possible under JAR to obtain an instructor rating with a class 2 medical if the CPL exams are passed?

2)Under the "old" CAA regime a class 1 was mandatory but someone mentioned on another thread that a restricted class 1 can now be given under JAR for problems such as colour perception,enabling the issue of an instructor rating if all other criteria are met.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Mark 1
5th Oct 2001, 16:16
The situation remains much as before.

You can obtain an FI rating and work as an unremunerated instructor with a PPL and a Class 2 medical. The course pre-entry requirements do, as you say, include CPL level knowledge. ATPL has never been required for single pilot aircraft.

JP5A
5th Oct 2001, 21:08
Mark 1

Thanks for the info.If,perchants,I did the CPL exams and sent in my class 2 with my pass papers I would then get a CPL licence endorsed in some way to prevent me flying for hire or reward??
If,then I decided to seek renumeration would I only need a class 1 to upgrade??

Noggin
6th Oct 2001, 00:04
In order to obtain a FI rating you must have passed at least the CPL exams.

You will not get a CPL unless you have a Class 1 Medical

You can instruct on a PPL with a Class 2 Medical but you cannot be remunerated.

JP5A
6th Oct 2001, 14:20
Mornin Noggin
Sounds a bit ambiguous or is it too early on a sat morning for me!!
If one now needs a CPL to get a FI rating and that is only poss.with a class 1 medical then how can a PPL instruct without renumeration??

Stan Evil
6th Oct 2001, 19:03
What Noggin is saying is that you must pass the CPL GROUND exams - not the CPL Skill Test. So you can have just a PPL and an FI rating with a Class 2 medical.

JP5A
6th Oct 2001, 22:44
Stan
Gotcha.Penny has dropped.
Thanks