PDA

View Full Version : Student's background checks???

Luke SkyToddler
24th Sep 2001, 00:32
We had a newspaper reporter ringing up the school today, asking a bunch of nosey questions about what sort of background checks we do on our students before we agree to train them? I got the distinct feeling we were being set up for some load of bullsh!t scaremongering in a tabloid, so I put him onto the CFI who I believe gave him fairly short shrift.

Personally, I think that your suicidal hijacker brigade, who have already proved themselves capable of foxing all the world's best intelligence agencies, are not going to have much trouble pulling the wool over the eyes of your average flying training organisation. But on the other hand, if the government wanted to send a few MI6 operatives round flying schools running seminars on how to spot budding terrorists, I'd be well up for it ...

I have a feeling that the training industry is being set up for some bad press on this one over the coming weeks. So, is there is an issue here that needs to be addressed or do any of you feel that it's our responsibility to start doing this sort of thing?

rick1128
24th Sep 2001, 17:54
Here is the US we are getting the same type of inquiries. I did a charter trip this weekend where the lead passenger asked about the background of my co-pilot. It will continue until the press gets bored with it.

You notice they haven't written anything about where many of the people who train these terrorists get their training.

Kermit 180
25th Sep 2001, 04:31
Should an initial thorough pysch test be part of an initial medical issue?

Terrorists "learning to fly" isnt the only issue, theres people out there who have dubious backgrounds anyway. One guy I trained finished his training and never did the PPL Flight Test, just diappeared. Turns out he had a criminal record (I never found out what he had done). He didnt want to declare whatever it was on the application form. Could have been something as simple as drunk-driving, but it couldve been worse.

DeltaT
26th Sep 2001, 23:36
Anyone else had the Special Branch boys going through the aeroclub records recently?

Perhaps its up to the CAA to do checks on people if they are going to take up lessons?
But then have you heard anything from the CAA lately in light of recent events to improve security??
....the keys are still in our planes at night!!

foxmoth
27th Sep 2001, 13:22
Not really our job to do background checks on studes' but I would say that if you have suspicions about one it is your duty as a citizen to let the police know, just in case, and then at least if something DOES happen you are not left feeling so guilty.

TMPFICH
1st Oct 2001, 04:25
I think the police are going through all clubs membership lists over the last 2 or 3 years checking foreign sounding names and how regularly they fly. The guy I spoke to had been round most clubs in the area.

DutchCourage
1st Oct 2001, 19:13
Luke is right. Who are we to screen customers when the MIs can't find the bad guys with or without licences.

The sad thing is that in the rush to "do something" the "anything" that gets done doesn't usually actually help anyone but the politicians on the evening news.

100LL
7th Oct 2001, 01:53
Oh yes DT My Dad runs a small Training establishment at a local airfield they went through everything, Wanted photo copys of all students for the last year or so.

Charlie Foxtrot India
7th Oct 2001, 08:50
Same here in Aus, we've had to give details of all "foreign" students who have trained here in the last three years to the cops.

EddyCurrents
13th Oct 2001, 03:03
Luke, you raise a valid point, albeit one without a simple answer. When teaching for, I think the same outfit as yourself, many years ago, we had a student called Mad ***. He was sent solo, after driving at least one venerable part time instructor into the bosses office to hit the sherry. It subsequently transpired he was on day release from an establishment mid way between your three bases. Judgement.

connavar
14th Oct 2001, 11:56
Same thing in the Rotary World.
We had Special Branch in checking all Records on file.
To date we do not have procedures for checking a students history, however I have a contact who is a Chopper Copper. He has agreed to pass me details of how to carry out "Integrity Checks" without violating a prospective students privacy, which should be enough to satisfy any CAA or Police enquiries in the future.
I will post details of how to carry out these checks when I know more if anyone is interested.
[email protected]