PDA

View Full Version : Presentation tools

4g_handicap
16th Dec 2001, 21:50
Hi guys,

I am currently looking into the best way to present a briefing/lecture(me not being very good at making drawings).

I am considering buying a LCD projector(one of them fancy projectors you plug into a computer).

Does anyone have experience in using this method and is there a forum or place on the internet where one can swop/obtain powerpoint slides for such presentations(ie IR/Comm/ALTP theory & pre-flight briefings)

I would also be interested to hear what other methods you guys have had success with.

Many thanks & looking forward to lots of advice.
:p :p

chrishowley
16th Dec 2001, 22:11
I would not use Powerpoint as it is a pretty in flexible tool - you cannot easily highight or draw onto your slides and you cannot change the order of your slides easily. Powerpoint is great if you want slick presentations to large audiences.

For most smaller groups flip-chart, white board or overhead slides work better. Note you can always prepare overhead slides and flip-charts ahead of time if you don't want to draw 'live'

Alternatively use Powerpoint to prepare some slides for overhead projector use. Then you can change the order and annotate live.

Note LCD projectors are very good but still run at about 2000 US or 1000 GBP - great for home cinema use as well!

4g_handicap
16th Dec 2001, 22:40
Many thanks ExiledTyke, but I do have to diagree with ya.

Yup the thaings a damn expensive, but I have managed to secure one for the equivalent of USD1500 at a liquidation sale(brand new Epson EA50).

I have to say that I underwent 2 weeks of ground school for the ERJ 145 recently, where the instructor used one to geat effect - I was vey impressed.

One thing that I thought was very good was where you can create a hyperlink on a photo that takes you to a specific slide. So as an example, you could have a photo of a C172 instrument panel, then by clicking on an instrument, it will jump to a schematic of that particular instrument. Spectacular!

Also you have a pen function, where you can use the mouse as a pen to highlight something on the slide. It all dissapears at the push of a button.

I saw that slide navigation is fairly easy - you can name them and then during presentation you right click and then select the slide you want to jump to.

It is all very labour intensive to develop appropriate slides, hence the interest in swopping out.
:D :D :D

chrishowley
17th Dec 2001, 03:51
If you can make it work for you then that's great. My only issue is that I know too many people who become slaves to Powerpoint and do not use it for its advantages. Just make sure you have tools on hand to deal with unexpected questions!

Good luck exploring its possibilities.

Kermit 180
17th Dec 2001, 07:47
Whatever media aids you use to help present a professional presentation or lecture, success of the entire thing depends on preparation, knowledge and a lesson plan. Have a backup too (you never know when the equipment may let you down). Remember that Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents P**s Poor Performance (the 7 P's).

Personally I find that the whiteboard works fine in conjunction with an OHP, although the trend at our club does tend to be moving towards computer based presentations.

Kermie :)

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: Kermit 180 ]

4g_handicap
17th Dec 2001, 10:38
Thanks guys, you make a valid point.

I will certainly have a plan B in place.

It does look though as if there is no place where one can swop slides - maybe that is a good idea for a web site - somewhere people can purchase Aviation Training powerpoint slides - hmmm interesting.

Kermit 180
17th Dec 2001, 10:52
If you find such a website mate, let us know. ;)

4g_handicap
17th Dec 2001, 11:08
I will, I will.

I will let you know the address as soon as I have it up and running.

Yippee, I'm gonna be a dotcom millionaire.
:D :D :D

Genghis the Engineer
17th Dec 2001, 17:11
I've just started using a powerpoint projector after years of OHPs. Overall, I'm very impressed with it's capabilities, although I'd still supplement it with a whiteboard or flipchart.

But, it is very easy to get carried away with the bells and whistles, and perhaps more self discipline is needed than with more old-fashioned methods.

G

AV8 consultants
17th Dec 2001, 17:42
Personally, a white board is fine. You dont need power to run it. I have seen instructors brief with a piece of chalk on the tarmac!
Stick to the old ways.

foxmoth
18th Dec 2001, 02:06
Blackboard and chalk or whiteboard SHOULD be enough for PPL work, certainly for pre -flight briefs. Doing a set lecture is possibly a good place for computer graphics (if you can afford this sort of luxury as an instructor!), but preflight I would think far to much messing about.

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: foxmoth ]

john_tullamarine
18th Dec 2001, 05:34
I suspect that we are missing two important, but related, points ...

(a) standardisation. Presentations using a prepared format (of whatever sort) to cover the basics mean that students get the required material covered in some sort of standardised manner - so that we don't miss bits with the invariable digressions which occur - I have a bad habit of digressing and getting onto more interesting bits and pieces, you see. How slick you might go is then a matter of cost, time, and interest.

(b) further discussion or explanation is going to vary according to the student, student's interest and background, etc. This phase is better handled in a tutorial fashion using the more traditional aids.

moggie
18th Dec 2001, 15:11
If your drawing skills aren't too great, how about making up some cutouts to draw around on the board? Alternatively, some OHP slides showing basic pictures (e.g. an ADI) and then draw upon those with waterbased markers when explaining details.

I tend to draw freehand on the white board but draw upon the OHP slides to explain completion of vital data cards, loadsheets, attitudes on ADIs etc.

chrishowley
18th Dec 2001, 18:23
John - you make some interesting points. I'm not too worried about the standardisation issue as any half-interested student should be prepared by reading the relevant materials. The value of the GS is to deal with issues not understood, to check students understanding of the theory and to draw out key points from the material.

A decent instructor should be able to put a plan together and make sure its covered while allowing for those extremely useful digressions. If an instructor needs a powerpoint slide show to ensure they cover their materials I would not have much confidence in their teaching skills.

Moggie - I think your absolutely right!

4g_handicap
18th Dec 2001, 23:24
Ok Guys,

I would agree that it may be an overkill for a pre-flight briefing.

I do think that the point I am trying to make is that for lecturing, it is an awesomely powerful tool.

Remember you can show video footage, as well as digital photo's in addition to instructive slides.

It also allows you to introduce elements of a slide 1 at a time. The closest you can get to any other way is with layered flimsies for OHP.
:)