PDA

View Full Version : US instructor in the UK

JDMEI
9th Sep 2001, 02:59
Does anyone know if I can find an instructing job in the uk on my FAA CFI/CFII/MEI???? I have 1000TT 100 multi. Maybe freelance work around and if so the going rate per hour of flight and ground ……can you make a living from it?

rolling circle
9th Sep 2001, 03:13
Your FAA qualifications are just about worthless in the UK, or any other JAA member state, unless you want to instruct for FAA licences on N reg aeroplanes. Unfortunately, the FAA have yet to approve any UK training organisation to provide such training so no luck there.

Assuming that you wish to instruct for the JAA licences, you will first have to gain a JAA professional licence and a JAA instructor rating. Reckon on about 12 months and budget for about 35,000 to 40,000 UKP. That will get you a restricted FI rating, allowing you to instruct under supervision. After 100 hours instructing and having supervised 25 student solo flights you can have the restriction removed but don't expect to earn a living wage until you have at least 500 hours instructing in the UK.