PDA

View Full Version : Is there much work out there?

You Aint Seen Me. Roit!
24th Nov 2001, 04:06
Hi Guys

Having just gained my CPL at about the same time that it all went pear shaped for the airlines, I decided that I need to spend the next year or so constructively while I wait for the industry to pick up.

I am considering doing the instructors course and then looking for work over the weekends and evenings while staying with my current employers.

My question is, is there much demand for instructors on a part time basis at the moment? I'm reluctant to spend another £4,500 if I'm not going to get much benefit in the long run.

I'm specifically looking for positions in the south, around the Hampshire, Surrey area.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cruise Alt
24th Nov 2001, 20:41
Very few jobs out there - especially in the SEast. I was instructing at Blackbushe with EF until they folded and haven't managed to find any more work around the area. If you are prepared to move to the job there may be a chance and the schools will need a few extra in the spring. Bear in mind that they may well be getting back this years crop who moved on to airlines only to find their jobs disappeared.

Good luck if you go for it. It is fun but be prepared to be treated poorly by owners or managers.

juggernaut
26th Nov 2001, 01:51
Some people seem to be oblivious to the fact that instructing in the UK is seasonal, my suggestion is that you do your FIC rating now so that you have some experience by the time spring arrives, remember there is no substitute for hours in the book and it means you will gain valuable experience and hands on skill, it also beats working! :cool:

Luke SkyToddler
26th Nov 2001, 22:16
Yeah and don't go looking for jobs in Juggernaut's neck of the woods ... 'cos you might find there's already one or two FI's on the dole around there at the moment :rolleyes: