PDA

View Full Version : instructor Q's

captainmacuk
21st Nov 2001, 03:50
Hi guys,

Just a few questions,

do you guys know of any flying schools which are suffering under the current aviation crisis, any colleagues being paid off

How long did it take to start your instructors training from the end of your ppl

What instructors wages like(salaried/hourly pay and if so how much(roughly))

If any of you guys can answer any of those Q's I would be very grateful,

Cheers

MJR
21st Nov 2001, 14:41
Hi,

1. I am not aware of any Flying schools experiencing difficulties at the moment.

2. I started ATPL theory, BCPL FIC course 4 years after obtaining my PPL.

3. I instruct part time and earn £12 an hour. I'll be lucky if manage to fly 200 hours a year.

search this forum if you wish to know more.

cheers

MJR

Luke SkyToddler
21st Nov 2001, 19:54
1. Yes, I was asked to go and find a new job last month, pretty much as a direct result of what happened in New York. (I've got FATPL/IR, 1400 TT, 1050 single engine instructing including some CPL instruction).

2. About 9 months, although I did an IR in that time as well.

3. For new instructors, salaries are hard to come by and the normal deal with PPL flying clubs seems to be a small retainer of maybe £10 per day plus around £10 to £15 per hour for every hour flown. Bigger and better schools will have various salaries and/or guaranteed monthly wage minimums in order to attract and hold on to the more experienced instructors.

Say again s l o w l y
21st Nov 2001, 19:54
Haven't seen any probs so far, Infact today I had a call from the mob I instruct with begging me to come in next week as there were no other instructors in!!

The only problems at the moment seem to be the standard ones of crap Wx and soggy runways. :rolleyes:

Though it sound like Luke is having a tough time at the moment.

I never did a PPL, I went straight into a CAP509 after about 35 hours of PPL stuff.

Wages are around £10-15 an hour as said before.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Say again s l o w l y ]

zzzz
22nd Nov 2001, 00:53
I started my instructor training about five years after finishing my PPL.

The flying school I am with at the moment is suffering, but it is nothing to do with Sept. 11 (even though they would like us to think it is), more to do with the organisation being run like a ship without a rudder.

There is a lot of cheap credit out there and it seems people still have money in their pockets to spend on PPLs. Even the near-by IR school is booked up til well into next year.

There is work to be had, just make sure you go to a well run school!

;)

MJR
22nd Nov 2001, 16:32
Question: Why should a PPL FTO be affected by the events of 11/9/01?

I can understand the impact on commercial FTO's, however where I instruct most students just want a PPL and nothing more.

cheers

MJR

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Nov 2001, 20:26
Because it's always busier in the summer time, and the autumn is traditionally when all the current batch of FI's move on to the airline jobs. So, many flying schools take on extra instructors in the summer, in the expectation that people will move on and they won't be over staffed during the quiet months. However as we all know, thanks to Osama and the boys there's not a single airline job to be had this winter, and certainly not for instructors looking for their first break.

It's not that the booking sheets are suffering any more than they normally do in winter but that there's twice as many instructors on the pay roll than there normally would be at this time of the year.

Oktas8
23rd Nov 2001, 04:38
Insurance premiums and excesses have gone up substantially since Sept 11. Accordingly, dry hire rates for most GA aircraft are now ?40%? higher than they were six months ago.

There are a few schools in NZ suffering due to this - PPL's on a fixed budget now doing fewer hours etc.

O8

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Oktas8 ]