PDA

View Full Version : abinitio training

tappit
19th Nov 2001, 23:18
has anybody any ideas on how to make the abinitio training more exciting than it already is , doing circuits for 4 hours a day needs some mroe entertainment

cheers

Kermit 180
20th Nov 2001, 12:35
You can help the student develop their skills by doing things such as getting them to fly a 'blind' circuit (ie covering the instrument panel and getting them to fly by attitudes and power settings). This is best done in calm conditions and a makeshift instrument cover is easy to create (or just use a tea towel but beware, using this will take the instruments away from your sight too!). If you have another airfield close by, do some circuits there too, a change of scenery always makes life more cheerful, and is guaranteed to help them understand why you fly using the runway as a reference rather than by using landmarks alone. If youre doing instrument flying, do some low flying towards the end of the session, simulating popping out of cloud, etc. If you are aerobatic rated, reward a good session with some simple aerobatics, give the student a chance to experience flight in all its glory. The world is your oyster as long as the activities you choose are sensible and calculated.

Kermie ;)

tacpot
22nd Nov 2001, 00:25
The idea of landing at an other airfield definitely worked for me. I've just finished a spot of circuit bashing as part of my PPL revalidation, and the whole thing was made bearable by a trip to Hucknall, midway through the sessions. A change is a good as a rest.

It is also a introduction to the delights of nagivation, and the differences to be found in the radio calls at another airfield. I think you have to hold a carrot out to people who may be gettting frustrated at their apparent lack of progress.

foxmoth
22nd Nov 2001, 14:47
tacpot, If you look at the forum title I think this an Instructor pounding the circuit with a student, changing airfields is often not an option for circuit work as most schools get their landing fees on either block or cheap rates at their home field.many students would object I think to paying a lot more for landing fees doing circuits elswhere.

tappit
22nd Nov 2001, 23:35
another thing that I did with one of my students today , while doing his initial night rateing , was have him wear the foggles from lineing up on the center line through to the taxi after landing , only then do I think the students begin to appreciate the fact the aviation as a career is no longer just an excuse to impress the woman , which isnt a bad thing though ;)

Try talking him down aswell , does wonders for the guys respect for the instructor aswell

Short and Sweet
24th Nov 2001, 14:03
I have bets with my students when I am teaching them shortfields. I bet them a drink at the bar that I can land the a/c on a particular spot, if they can do the same then I will buy them a drink. Guaranteed you will never have to buy them more than 1 drink in any 1 session of circiuts. It gives them an incentive to get them correct and a little bit of fun for the both of you. :D

Tinstaafl
24th Nov 2001, 18:01
Variations are limited by the student's capability & level of skill.

a/c malfunctions eg flaps, engine (of course), particular instruments, elevator cable failure

Circuit variations eg low level, talked through on instruments, figure eights/clover leafs (depending on runway layout), other airstrips, change seats or aircraft for a circuit or lesson (just for variation if the student has plataued (sp.?) & is feeling jaded.)

Competitions (with suitable handicapping for the instructor) eg spot landing, glide approach spot landing, precision

Whatever you do be safe, be guided by the students ability & desire. Just because you can do it easily & are bored doesn't mean that the student feels that way.