PDA

View Full Version : US Flight Instructor Conditions

CAVU
2nd Sep 2001, 17:22
(This also appears in the North America forum)

I am finally leaving the world of the underpayed, overworked flight instructor, and find myself with enough time to reflect on the outrageous conditions many instructors are forced to endure.

At all levels, flight instructors push the safety envelope whilst conducting their instruction, and to be sure, despite my own best efforts, there were many occasions when financial worries and severe fatigue certainly compromised the quality and safety, of my flight instruction.

The maximum 8 flight hour rule is often used to push instructors to fly well beyond the safe limits, and unscrupulous instructors use it to build time. In both cases, quality of flight instruction and safety are greatly compromised.

I think it is time the FAA took a closer look at these problems and legislates to limit daily and weekly duty hours for flight instructors. Airlines have had such limits for years, and I am baffled as to why flight instructors should be any different. I think the JAA, despite its' flaws, got it right in applying duty limits for FIs.

Some may argue that there are flight schools whose businesses would no longer be viable as the result of such rules, but my response to this argument is simple. If a company cannot afford to provide reasonable working conditions (and pay) to staff involved in flight safety then frankly they should not be in business. Flight training, and aviation in general, would be a better and safer and more enjoyable environments for it.

I am sure there are thousands of guys flying for the airlines now, who had to struggle much longer than I did, but still have a social concern for their younger pilots.

My questions are:

1. How many would be prepared to lend themselves to a lobby to the FAA, perhaps via AOPA?

2. Why would you not be involved in such and effort?

3. Does anyone have any other points to add to those already made?

RVR800
7th Sep 2001, 17:55
8h a day single crew is ludicrous

Its dangerous
Bad for ones physical and mental state
Represents poor value to the student
Degrades professional standards due time pressure

A low hourly rate is the result but at what cost any NTSB accident feedback?