PDA

View Full Version : Close encounters of the uncomfortable kind.

Yogi-Bear
30th Aug 2001, 12:16
This Bank holiday I flew also and had another of those uncomfortable encounters. You know what the weather was like? This time it was near the SW corner of Heathrow’s zone. Two aircraft at similar altitude, closing at constant aspect, no action; not the slightest hint of recognition from the one supposed to give way. This time, I was in a gentle cruise climb which I stopped. The increase in speed broke the constant angle and the other aircraft passed behind and overhead. An early change of heading by the high wing monoplane would have removed any doubt and not required action from me.
This scenario has occurred to me seven times in fifteen years of power flying. On three occasions I’ve been the one to initiate real avoiding action. One example was a particularly dogged Jetranger in LPL zone fully aware of our presence. Another, a pilot who was distracted by a sick passenger and failed to look out. What of the others? I don’t know.
From this small sample I do conclude one of two things: Light plane pilots maintain an abysmal scan out the right hand side, or that most haven’t got a clue what the Rules of the Road in the skies are nor do they know how to deal with an encounter. Both aircraft continue inexorably on course hoping the other knows what to do and will do it! This is dangerous because if both aircraft act late and simultaneously, the collision potential rises exponentially.
I don’t see any mention of training for this in the PPL syllabus and can’t remember being taught, but then I’ve been a sailor. On the water, you can shout, “starboard” and it wakes up the dozy and perhaps alerts them to their ignorance. I do know the various manuals cover the recognition of potential collision by constant angle, but do they adequately cover the various convergent scenarios and what action each aircraft should take? Do you teach it? Should this be a subject for a Safety Sense leaflet? :)
Being away from home during the week, I don't have access to my bumpf but I do see that there is a leaflet 13A at:- http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/includes/ga/13aleafl.pdf Aren't they are out of print at present? Although an extreemly good analysis of the problem, IMO this leaflet does not adequately and simply educate on Rules of the Air and collision avoidance. :( Another one required along the lines of Strip Sense?

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: Yogi-Bear ]

foxmoth
30th Aug 2001, 13:15
This is part of BASIC air law that ANYONE takes, in my experience the main cause of these problems are due to not seeing the other aircraft. This can be due to poor lookout (airmanship) OR just hard to see aircraft, remember you may be able to see him, but you may be harder to see due to your paint scheme or background (eg. sun behind. Personally I always teach students to assume that the other aircraft has NOT seen them so be prepared to avoid weather you have right of way or not.
Generally, awareness of other aircraft and what to do about avoiding is well taught, but many pilots have not been near an instructor for many years up to now (and a 2 yearly check cannot sort out all faults - there may not be other aircraft in the area to "not see")so don't blame instructors.

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: foxmoth ]

New Bloke
30th Aug 2001, 13:54
The same thing (incidently in the same place) happened to me last year. I think the point is that we must accept that if we have seen them and they havn't seen us - it makes diddly squat difference whose right of way it is.

In my incident I was on my way back to Redhill, the visibility was the best I have ever seen (looking south-east I could clearly see the Himalas :D ) yet this guy just trundled on with his head inside not outside. Eventually I just assumed he hadn't seen me, broke off my course and did an orbit to let him clear.
There again, he MAY have been looking out and just missed seeing me. 10 minutes later I may have been blissfully unaware of someone breaking and orbiting to miss me.

HighandTight
31st Aug 2001, 16:37
Seven times in fifteen years?? I'd say thats remarkably low.

Of course its taught in Air Law but as the previous posters said, for many pilots that was several years ago.

I always try to give the benefit of the doubt - that they have not seen me and are not coming at me in some act of air rage!

Viz can often be poor, the haze this summer a good example. Pilots can be blinded looking into sun.

If in doubt you CAN shout - if you're using ATC. Unfortunately too many GA pilots don't.

Several weeks ago I listeened to a guy fly straight across a major airport zone and to ATC breaking off an inbound jet due to his actions. He obviously thought if you dont talk to them they don't know your there, an all too common attitude amongst a lot of private pilots.

Having said that, I think I've had a similar encounter with that jetranger.......... :eek: