PDA

View Full Version : Can I do an FAA BFR in a european aircraft?

Will Rogers
3rd Nov 2001, 04:11
HI ya'll!

I have a friend with an FAA certificate who needs a BFR. I hold an FAA CFI/II/MEI but we both live in Scandinavia. Can I do his BRF in a Swedish airplane??? Or does it have to be N-registered???

Thanks for any input!

Will

GoneWest
3rd Nov 2001, 04:19
(Friday evening)

It is my firm belief that you CAN do the flight - I'm working with the FAA tomorrow and will get a firm answer for you.

Watch this space.

Will Rogers
3rd Nov 2001, 04:25
Hey GW!

Appreciate it. I'll look for it!!

Rgds,

Will

GoneWest
4th Nov 2001, 06:11
Well - don't look JUST yet, Will.

I met with four senior FAA bunnies today - two work directly for the FAA as safety program managers in Orlando - the other two were flight test examiners.

When asked the question (individually) all four of them screwed up their foreheads, widened their eyes and looked in horror....they didn't know the answer.

One of the FAA guys took the question (I printed it out) and promised to telephone me on Monday with the answer.

BTW!! We are asuming that you both hold Swedish licenses at the moment!!

GoneWest
4th Nov 2001, 08:17
Help may be at hand!!

I've just received the following in an e-mail from a colleague in another FSDO...(cut and paste)...

<<The answer is that FAR 61.56 does not state that you must be in a US registered airplane. It just states what must be done as a minimum. So the answer to our Swedish friend is that he can do it in a Swedish airplane just as long as both he and the Instructor are qualified.>>

I'll still be getting the telephone call from Orlando on Monday - but seems that the answer is "Yes".

One word though - the question of "Who would be in command?" was asked by the local team. Don't quite follow the relevance - but they did ask the question.

BEagle
4th Nov 2001, 12:45
FIs who also hold the relevant FAA qualifications certainly do conduct FAA Biennial Flight Reviews in the UK using UK-registered aeroplanes; I can see no obvious reason why the same logic shouldn't apply in Sweden.

Will Rogers
4th Nov 2001, 21:22
GW!

To answer both of your questions; We both hold valid Swedish certifikates so my friend who needs to have a BFR is still "current" and can therefore act as PIC. I guess we have a scenario where he is current but not :confused: kinda, mabey!?

Funny really! He is current as long as it says SE-something on the side of the airplane but if it were changed to N-something....Uh oh!

I read the same thing in 61.56 but with the FARs you never know. There could very well be a "hidden" paragraph... :rolleyes:

I appreciate the effort you are putting in to this! :)

BEagle: Although i do belive you are correct I still wanted to make sure :) Thanxs for your input! :)

Ya'll take care now!!!

Will

GlueBall
5th Nov 2001, 06:37
Many moons ago, while living in Germany and taking lessons from an FAA CFI holder, I took my FAA PPL in Germany in a German registered French airplane, a Jodel DR-315, with an FAA inspector assigned to the Frankfurt FAA office. So the answer to your question is: Yes.

Will Rogers
5th Nov 2001, 14:00
GB:

Thank you!

Will

GoneWest
5th Nov 2001, 18:36
I know the answer has appeared numerous times - but the promised response from the FAA has just arrived and says...

"
I talked to <<name edited out>> in OKC to get the answer to your question.
The FAA certificated CFI may give a BFR to an FAA certificated pilot
in a non U.S. registered aircraft in another country. Obviously, the
pilot in command would have to meet the requirements to fly in that
country (pilot certificate, medical, currency requirements of that
country, etc..). Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info."

"OKC" is the abbreviation for Oklahoma City - the Head Office of the FAA.

Think we've done enough with this one!!

Lima Xray
6th Nov 2001, 14:28
Well I be damned I did not know this.

Good on you guys.

Will Rogers
6th Nov 2001, 14:44
GW!

Thank you for all the info. I appreciate your help and be sure to tell your "contacts" thanks! :)

Rgds,

Will