PDA

View Full Version : CPL DISTANCE LEARNING

XENON
23rd Aug 2001, 17:10
Hi,
now that PPSC and 4 Forces are no longer about how does one become a flight Instructor?
Are there any companies offering residential or distance learning for the CPL theory?

UKPPL
23rd Aug 2001, 20:34
As per my reply in the Wanabees section...

Hi,
If you're wanting a CPL for instruction purposes (??) then save your money and time and wait six months and the CAA will hopefully be introducing a method of becoming a FI and being able to get paid for giving instruction without holding a CPL. This is part of the NPPL scheme.

Good luck,

UKPPL

Noggin
23rd Aug 2001, 21:31
I think you'll have to wait a lot longer, that part of the NPPL is for future consultation assuming the NPPL proves successfull. To instruct you will still need CPL level knowledge.

clear prop!!!
25th Aug 2001, 00:43
I would just do ATPL exams.

At least they have been around long enough to have settled down and for there to be decent feedback and notes around.

The course and exams are not much more expensive or involved.

Avoid being a guinea pig on any new JAA/CAA course, including NPPL...if it ever happens!!

dah dah
26th Aug 2001, 14:43
Noggin

What makes you think that CPL theory will still be required?

Simon W
26th Aug 2001, 20:39
My understanding of the current CAA suggestions are that there will be a way for someone without a CPL to instruct for the NPPL and get paid. They will NOT beable to instruct people for the full JAR PPL. It really depends how popular (if it ever happens) the NPPL will be as to whether you'll get much work solely as a NPPL instructor. I plan on becoming an instructor part time at some point but think I'll just get the CPL or ATPL exams instead of waiting to see what happens with the NPPL.

Regards,

Simon

JP5A
1st Sep 2001, 00:29
UKPPL
Very Interesting.
I allowed my Instructor Rating to lapse many years ago before all this CPL business came about.
I now cannot get a CPL because I cannot get a class 1 (eyes).
Are you suggesting that a CPL could be had with a class 2 to teach NPPL students??

Thanks for the info : :confused:

UKPPL
2nd Sep 2001, 22:59
JP5A,

I don't really know what the detailed proposals currently are (in terms of exams, medicals etc). But I do know that there is a current AOPA proposal (yet to be accepted, but under consideration by CAA)to allow a new type of FI rating for NPPL instruction only, allowing the FI to be paid, but without holding a CPL.

As far as I'm aware there will be a minimum hrs requirement (400??) and a FI course and exams - but not the JAR CPL exams.

I guess this MAY happen sometime next year???

Good luck,

UKPPL

dah dah
3rd Sep 2001, 19:23
Simon W

I like the way you say you will "just get the CPL or ATPL". There is no way you can currently do the CPL theory. ATPL theory will cost £2k and take 42 weeks of 15 hrs per week, plus 4 weeks full time just to learn stuff you will never use. Then if you want to get paid, you will have to do the CPL flying - another £4k. Add to this your FI course and class 1 medical and you have spent about £12,000 so that you an earn £10 to £15 an hour part time. Simon, you have got more spare time and cash than I have!!

I am very keen to see an NPPL FI course. I am thinking of starting a lobbying group to try and speed up the process. If anyone is interested in supporting this then e-mail me at [email protected]

g-oose
5th Sep 2001, 14:24
I have gleaned from somewhere around £12,000 to be allowed to be paid for instructing. However, I was under the impression that this involved only passing the CPL (or ATPL) theoretical exams, i.e. I don't believe you must also pass the CPL skills test.

Stan Evil
5th Sep 2001, 23:22
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a new form of FI rating for NPPL. The latest discussion documents suggest that the NPPL will be launched using the current JAA FI regulations in order to speed its progress. NPPL instructors are a long way down the line.