PDA

View Full Version : Instructinig ME/CIR

kram
27th Oct 2001, 06:16
Hi,

What qualifications are required to teach ME endorsments and CIR's?

Is it a hard thing to break into after getting a grade 3 Instructors Rating?

Thanks

Turbine
27th Oct 2001, 11:22
Hi kram,

To have a ME training approval you have to satisfy the requirements of CAO 40.1.7. Basically, you must have 50 hours command Multi Engine flight time of which 25 may be ICUS. A comprehensive flight test is required.

Keep in mind that you cannot endorse anybody on twins until you hold a Grade 2 rating or higher. You may only conduct the required training.

Grade 1 Aeroplane, and Grade 1 & 2 helicopter instructors automatically hold an Instrument Training Approval if they themselves hold the Command Instrument Rating (under CAO 40.1.7 and 40.3.7 respectively).

To hold an Instrument Training Approval on a Grade 3 Rating you must do a flight test which generally involves flying an approach from the right-hand-seat with the appropriate patter and an oral quiz on the ground which includes a very thorough grill on teaching techniques and regulations.

I suggest that you delay your approval training until you have significant time in either twins or real IFR commercial operations. A huge problem in the industry at the moment is that people are teaching various sequences before they have a working understanding of the operation themselves. This premature approach tends to perpetuate very, very sloppy standards.

It is hard to break into Multi IFR stuff as a Grade 3 instructor - or even a Grade 1 instructor. Most senior instructors prefer this kind of work since Airlines or bigger operators tend to prefer to see ME IFR instructional time rather than thousands of hours in a 152 bumming around the training circuit.

Definately do the training - but wait until you clock up a little experience and justify it financially by doing it when employer will let you exercise the privelages of the rating.

Read CASA's Examiner Handbook (http://www.casa.gov.au/prod/manuals/regulate/fcl%5Fdel/053r10.pdf) in conjunction with the CAOs for a better understanding.

[ 27 October 2001: Message edited by: Turbine ]

Tinstaafl
29th Oct 2001, 01:50
When did the rules change preventing Gr.3's from giving endorsements?