PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit Wish List

Red Mud
29th Jun 2004, 18:07
Assuming your boss gave you carte-blanche to outfit the cockpit of your new top end bizjet what is the one item at the top of your wish list? I am looking to pick your collective brains to help with my decisions. Area of ops is mostly within North America with a twice yearly scoot across to the E.U. Thanks.

Miles Magister
29th Jun 2004, 18:28
An intercom/RT paddle switch on the cockpit side wall just where you rest your arm. You can then use it without having to reach for the CC. Been in use in RAF aircraft for years and is the best gadjet in the cockpit.

MM

currawong
30th Jun 2004, 10:37
Dancing girls. Lots of dancing girls.

Hope this helps.:E

matkat
30th Jun 2004, 12:19
Ejection seats,failing that "42" plasma screen with "adult" entertainment

fireflybob
30th Jun 2004, 16:12
Weather on data link and SATCOM

Red Mud
30th Jun 2004, 17:33
SatCom / Wx Link we have and the dancing girls kept losing their tutus when we tried out the ejection seat. The I/C paddle and position is an excellent suggestion. Any others?
Thanks in advance.

:ok:

ICT_SLB
1st Jul 2004, 04:06
Rockwell-Collins/Flight Dynamics Head-Up Guidance System (none of your Thales or Honeywell not-so-cheap copies) - course I'm biased - I worked on the original RJ system.

Crossunder
1st Jul 2004, 06:58
ACARS, HUD (HUG), Forward Looking Infra Red, Electronic Flight Bag, make sure the TCAS/ACAS has an "Above/Below" mode selection switch, and a snooze button on the FMS.

Cheers.

FlightDetent
1st Jul 2004, 08:23
I dunno the term in English, so I'll just call it "countdown-clock with alarm", you know, the one you have in kitchen.

The Above/Below selectable transponderc is a great feat, just make sure it is not a dial type, but punch-in instead.

ftrplt
1st Jul 2004, 09:08
"make sure the TCAS/ACAS has an Above/Below" mode selection switch,

what is this?

ww1
1st Jul 2004, 10:05
Death ray.:E

But seriously, a convenient place to plug in a laptop, portable GPS for backup, or maybe an iPod for those long sectors.
And a lot of individually-switched, intensity-controllable lighting for both pilots.

FlightDetent
1st Jul 2004, 11:08
"Common" TCASs display only trafiic within +/- 2 FL, not to clutter the view in busy areas. However, some systems have the availability to select Above/Normal/Below viewing regimes to show [u]in addition[/] all traffic upwards xor downwards as far as 7 FLs.

This is only display mode, in no way it effects the TCAS function.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jul 2004, 12:50
My new car has a small display next to the speedo, it's based upon current fuel consumption and an accurate fuel gauge. It reads off miles left until fuel required.

One of those.

G

Jet_A_Knight
1st Jul 2004, 13:03
A reliable ADF

:{

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jul 2004, 13:09
A change to ICAO rules, not requiring you to carry an ADF?

G

POL.777
1st Jul 2004, 14:11
thought the ADF was just an instrument for the planes not carrying weather radar. Seems its only function is to direct you to the biggest CB in the area:ok:

Crossunder
2nd Jul 2004, 07:07
As FlightDetent implies, the A/B BTN can be nice to have during descent/climb, to check for traffic above/below, outside the standart 2.500ft+/-. Fighter aircraft, especially, tend to buzz through those 2.500ft in no-time...

FlightDetent
2nd Jul 2004, 08:09
One more thing: Very serious set of sun visors!

And if it is not included already, EGPWS!

AKAAB
6th Jul 2004, 17:25
A deeper cup holder on the A320! A vente Starbucks cup is a disaster waiting to happen on T/O...

techpilot
8th Jul 2004, 02:25
ACARS/AFIS/ARINC Datalink via VHF and SAT. Latest s/w for FMS to include RNP .1 certification and Pilot Controller Datalink capabilities. Navcom equip to include; dual ADF, Dual MLS, Dual DME displays, Dual HF, Dual AHRS with an IRS, Dual GPS with GLONASS, GALILEO, and WAAS, AFIS thermal printer, Dual EFB with ARINC interface, 406mHz ELT with ARINC interface, SATCOM for aircraft with seperate channel for cockpit.

Cougar
8th Jul 2004, 03:34
A HUD. Not like a 737 NG where the pilot can use it in low viz situations, i mean a HUD used as the Primary Flight Display. Once you go there, you will never go back.

halas
13th Jul 2004, 05:02
The 777 needs two mods in the office.

1. Fold to the side control column, perhaps like an old Baron or Aerocommander.

2. Lie-flat seats for a better snooze position.

halas

Gin Slinger
13th Jul 2004, 13:19
1) Comfier seats. My £500 car has better seats. After 4 sectors one loses all feeling in the derrière.

2) Better sun visors. Rather than a ineffectual tint, why not a fine fabric mesh like those used in car sunblinds?

Red Mud
21st Jul 2004, 13:14
My sincere thanks to all who responded to this line. I will use a lot of what you recommended and hope to put together a capable cockpit within financial sensibility (reality butting in again). I really liked the free-for-all wish list approach on some of the responses and think that there is a great cockpit like that coming down the pipe some day. As for my own preferences I like the addressable above/below TCAS, a night visor for cockpit glare, the newer Iridium network phones over Satcom and a good place on the side console for a notepad and coffee cup. HGS is great but perhaps one that incorporates EVS is better.
Thanks again.

Whippersnapper
28th Jul 2004, 09:23
A wine rack for the duty free?

Depending on ac type, ANR headsets could be a good thing (73's a noisy bugger).

L337
28th Jul 2004, 14:21
Curtains: To keep the sun from drilling a hole through the back of your head.

Very large dustbin: To put soggy apple cores, half eaten sandwiches, tins of coke, and old ACARs messages into.

No Paper: When the all up weight of the paper exceeds the all up weight of the aeroplane, it will stop. Put paper in dustbin.

Double Bed: Just for me. You can never sleep too much on an aeroplane.

Dancing Girls: Yes please. Good for long night flights. (see double bed)

Free Sat Phone: Gotta talk to someone, once pensions, bidline, and the state of the FOs portfolio has been discussed to death.

DVD Player:

Networked PCs with fast internet connection: For some heavy l337 uber d00dz PvP action. "4ll y0ur b4s3 4r3 b3l0ng t0 us"

Oh Yes.

L337

Trislander
28th Jul 2004, 21:11
I agree, a completely paperless cockpit - one of those Jeppesen fan-dangled gadgets with all the approach plates and charts stored in it which you can access at the touch of a button. Looked at one at Farny last week, v. impressive.

Aside from that, a beer fridge.

Tri:ok: